• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery charger/trickle charger for Winter Recommended?

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been using this one from Harbor Freight and it works great! I was going to get a NOCO Genius but after using this one for a year I don't think I will. It will do all types of batteries, AGM, Gel, Deep Cycle, Standard Acid and has an automatic microprocessor controlled trickle/storage charge. Has a quick disconnect harness that I leave on the battery. I run it 365 days a year, screen is red when charging and turns green when not. I'll probably get a bunch of flack, but it is cheap, it works great and has not harmed my battery.
I just bought one of those yesterday! :) Glad to hear you've had good luck with it. I have the ProMariner Sport 12 installed on-board in my boat, but since I'm being forced to store the boat under a tarp in my driveway for this winter it doesn't do me much good. I needed an inexpensive charger to maintain the battery in my garage over the winter. Harbor Freight also has $5.99 "float" chargers that just plug into the wall, but those seemed really scary at that price point! lol Anybody have any experience with this type of charger?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This one, this one! Customer service is KING! I picked this dual charger about 5 years ago after a recommendation from this board. This year one of my batteries finally died. I'll take 5 years, and the other battery is still strong. The kicker? My charger went defective a few months ago. One side would not operate properly. I called the company in Texas to ask for some help. I was given some things to try, none worked. Called back. Checked warranty status. Nope, out of warranty by several years. "Here is an RMA number. Send it back to us. We'll see if we can fix it." I did. 3 weeks later, I receive a brand new charger with a note "We couldn't repair this but that should not have occurred. Here is a new one, and be sure to use a surge protector with it. "

20201109_185421.jpg

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So you put the batteries in the garage all winter hooked up to a trickle charger? This will be my first off season where i have a bit of a clue and want to make sure I maintain my batteries properly.
I don't take mine out of the boat. I have on board Minn Kota charger that I leave plugged in at all times when not in the water. My suggestion is that if you're going to buy on board one get the one that has the number of charge connections you plan to go to. Meaning if you have one battery but plan to go to two batteries, buy the two battery charger the first time. You just leave the extra connection disconnected until you upgrade and add the next battery. And then don't have to buy the charger again later.

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just bought one of those yesterday! :) Glad to hear you've had good luck with it. I have the ProMariner Sport 12 installed on-board in my boat, but since I'm being forced to store the boat under a tarp in my driveway for this winter it doesn't do me much good. I needed an inexpensive charger to maintain the battery in my garage over the winter. Harbor Freight also has $5.99 "float" chargers that just plug into the wall, but those seemed really scary at that price point! lol Anybody have any experience with this type of charger?

I did my first winter with some battery tender chargers I had laying around that I use on other stuff, and it did the job until I could do some research on the differences between those entry level chargers and others. Specifically on board marine grade chargers. I think something is definitely better than nothing, but I love having the on board charger capability now. Minn Kota is what I bought.

You really want to geek out you battery setup, go for a wireless battery monitor like the one battery tender has for about $22 Per battery. Hooks up to your wifi at home and you can check you battery level via your cell phone from anywhere you get internet connectivity at. They suck setting them up...trick I found is make sure your ssid wifi name is visible to get it setup, then you can hide it after config is complete if you do that with your wifi. Anyways, see your battery level from anywhere, including your warm house is the best during winter. Can also add to other items you own as well. Pretty cool !