• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Charger with Solar Panels

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have read about 12 threads on here and I am either: (1) too dumb to find the answer; or (2) the answer is not in the threads.

Anyhow, I have a 242 Limited S E-Series and it is equipped withe the solar panels. I previously had a 210 Sea Ray I/O and have a left over Noco 2 bank battery charger. I want to hook it up to the 242 but understand how it works with the solar panels.

I want to make sure that I don't burn up the solar panels or damage the 242 electronics. Any suggestions on how to hook up?

Thanks in advance!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bump. Anyone have a answer to this?

I just had a what have come to mind. If it is the solar panels the main concern, could a switch be added to turn off the panels when you decide to plug in?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bump. Anyone have a answer to this?

I just had a what have come to mind. If it is the solar panels the main concern, could a switch be added to turn off the panels when you decide to plug in?
I use a 30a Renogy charge controller between the (2) 100w panels and batteries, on the Beneteau. Shore power/battery charger ProMariner Sport 20a triple bank is in auto maintain usually. The charge controller regulates the input current from panels to batteries, turning off if necessary. They work independently of each other to maintain 13.4 volts.

20190202_143709.jpg

20180703_180425.jpgx

Last edited:

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The wake foil thread brought me here. I just hooked up a promariner 12, 2 bank to my ‘18 242x. It’s currently charging in my garage. Since I too the entire Bimini off it’s not currently a concern. However, this spring is like to answer this question too.

Why do you think the solar panels will get damaged with a battery charger/maintainer/“tender”? Has this happened in the past to others here?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Island Jay I saw your other thread on chargers and wondered if you might have the answer @afdouble is looking for?