• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery question for Yamaha 212x or any boat actually

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I've got this 2014 Yamaha 212x looming on the horizon (just got to sign the loan papers). I remember when I used to have my Yamaha LS2000 (2-stroke dual 135hp I think) that when the cold nights arrived in Upstate NY (October) I would go out to start the boat and it start to turn over but then run out of battery power. I even think I fouled a spark plug one time. But definitely things began to change with cold weather in it's ability to fire the boat up.

Is there something about a freezing night that these boats don't like?

Since I'd like to ride this boat through October are there steps I can take to assure the boat will start?

A little off subject but will a dual battery system be a good investment in terms of having a back up OR is that really only for folks that play tons of music while sitting in the water? Thanks

Battery tender or a good dual bank charger/ maintainer

My solution may be overkill but I don't plan on getting stuck with a dead battery. I added a deep cycle battery, a switch, and an on-board dual bank charger. Whenever AC power is available, I leave the charger plugged in. It is a smart charger so it doesn't over-charge the batteries. We operate the boat on the starter battery. If we anchor and run the stereo all afternoon, or I leave the boat in the water overnight with the bilge pump switch on, I switch over to the deep cycle. If I am out for a day when I didn't charge the previous night, I run the boat on both batteries to let them both charge. Since I am using a stock stereo and my boat doesn't leak, my deep cycle battery has plenty of reserve to start the boat if the starting battery failed. I have promised myself that if one of the batteries fails outside of warranty, I will replace them both at that time so I will continue to have two fresh batteries.

i added a second battery on our 212x. if nothing else..grab a portable charger at costco and you will always be able to start the boat.

You might have had more issues with the old boat during the cold because it was a 2-stroke and maybe an older battery? Hard to say exactly, there are lots of things that can cause hard starts when things get a bit colder.

You'll be fine thru Oct. on the 212x with a single battery. Having a dual battery setup is just piece of mind for most, and extra juice for people with more 'accessories' on board. I would just add the dual battery setup (and maybe an on-board charger) to your off-season upgrades to kick off your first full season with the boat!

Sign those papers and get out there to enjoy it while the weather lasts!

Any chance anyone could provide a link for a charger that could charge 2 batteries? Amazon's top of the line seems to be a NOCO Genius...

Bobbie - where do you put the 2nd battery? Do you have to build a tray for it? Battery switch? PIX? If you got some links as to what worked for you that would be great. Yeh believe me I have got so many things I want to have now - I wish I could trick it out right away with that extra ballast for wake surfing, ala Bobbie's set up - again noone in Syracuse to do that custom work. And Im on board for the Gantlin wedges...

The lack of a pressurized fuel system made the 2 strokes much more difficult to start. The 212 you are looking at will start easily.

The colder temperature causes the oil to thicken and reduces the batteries output. That combined with the hard starting nature of the two strokes must have been your problem.

Overton's has the ProMariner ProSport chargers that charge 1, 2, or 3 batteries. Mine has been trouble-free so far.

river city boats did the second battery setup...i can send a pic next time i'm at the boat. they moved the batteries just forward in the same compartment and added a battery switch. the large ballast bag is in there but doesn't interfere with anything.

I have 5 batteries installed, but I still pack a portable jump-pack whenever I go out. Cheap peace of mind and also a much easier way to help other stranded boaters without messing with long jumper cables

I have 3 batteries due to my 24V trolling motor but I have not had a starting issue since I owned the boat. Stereo is always going with the HT6 amp, Sirius XM sat radio, Kids charging their phones and Lowrance Elite 7 all on the single house battery.

Back