• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Battery Recommendations

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like a might be in the market for a new battery for my AR240. Any suggestions? My needs are basic as the boat has the stock stereo. Also, suggestions on where to buy the battery. Thanks.

We always have had great luck with Costco deep cycle batteries.... Not sure what size yours is, but if you take it out and down to Costco I bet they can match it.... I just did a quick search on the net, and couldn't find the type but I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you....

Thanks. They are building the first Costco near me now, so it isn't yet an option. Any other ideas?

I am upgrading mine this year as well as it is 6 years old. I plan to upsize to the 27DC from Costco or other dealer it they are out. I had to buy a larger attachment frame. Cam.

Optima yellow top. You can get it at Advance. I bought a red top for starting and a yellow top to run the stereo and accessories several years ago. Have never had an issue.

It looks like a might be in the market for a new battery for my AR240. Any suggestions? My needs are basic as the boat has the stock stereo. Also, suggestions on where to buy the battery. Thanks.

For future reference, this would be a good choice for "basic" at Costco. Use those specs to shop for one. It should do the job for you just fine.

costcobattery.jpg
I recommend you get a good charger if you do not already own one.

Check out @ChargerGuy for a deal!

Attachments

• costcobattery.jpg
    costcobattery.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 34
  • costcobattery.jpg
    costcobattery.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 28
Watch out for the group/size. If you go up or down you need to put in a different battery tray. Check what group your battery is then get a decent one like the Costco one above with a good warranty. IIRC, autozone has a good warranty on their batteries.

My understanding is that it is a Group 27 battery, but what are the CCA requirements for the battery and any other minimums that need to be met? I do plan to get a deep cycle.

I buy the Group 27 batteries at good ole Wally World!

Do you guys trust the "Never starts" from Walmart? I thought about getting a group 31 from there but then ended up getting a group 27m Interstate battery. My next one will be either a group 29m Interstate ( biggest one they make now) or a group 31 of another brand.

I wouldn't necessarily buy into the battery specs at Walmart. But if the price is low and the warranty terms are good, then I would be fine with it. The great equalizer will be the weight of the battery per a given group size. If the weight is comparable then the true specs are probably close too. It's just an easy way to dumb it down and establish what's real.
Since you are not turning over a big block V8 in cold weather, versus a cranking battery, I would favor a deep cycle battery for its additional A/H capacity and additional tolerance for deeper discharges.
Optima is a very good battery. But a Group 34 is undersized (smaller, shorter, lighter) with less capacity as compared to a standard Group 24. So without a special application (racing, etc.) I would stay with a standard size (24) battery or larger (27, 29, or 31). If you must go Optima, go with the Blue Top with gray case.
AGMs have numerous advantages over a standard wet lead acid battery and if I wasn't on a budget, I would definitely go AGM. But, when it comes to value based on a ratio of reserve capacity and low cost, a standard wet lead acid can't be touched.
Deka is certainly a premium product.
I haven't found a bad name brand battery yet, just bad charging and maintenance disciplines leading to an early demise.

I wouldn't necessarily buy into the battery specs at Walmart. But if the price is low and the warranty terms are good, then I would be fine with it. The great equalizer will be the weight of the battery per a given group size. If the weight is comparable then the true specs are probably close too. It's just an easy way to dumb it down and establish what's real.
Since you are not turning over a big block V8 in cold weather, versus a cranking battery, I would favor a deep cycle battery for its additional A/H capacity and additional tolerance for deeper discharges.
Optima is a very good battery. But a Group 34 is undersized (smaller, shorter, lighter) with less capacity as compared to a standard Group 24. So without a special application (racing, etc.) I would stay with a standard size (24) battery or larger (27, 29, or 31). If you must go Optima, go with the Blue Top with gray case.
AGMs have numerous advantages over a standard wet lead acid battery and if I wasn't on a budget, I would definitely go AGM. But, when it comes to value based on a ratio of reserve capacity and low cost, a standard wet lead acid can't be touched.
Deka is certainly a premium product.
I haven't found a bad name brand battery yet, just bad charging and maintenance disciplines leading to an early demise.

Good synopsis David. Based on his very "Basic" needs, I think the Walmart product will be fine for him - as long as it's maintained. And if it isn't, well 80 bucks isn't a ton of money. I was surprised to see that the warranty is only 1 year free replacement warranty with original receipt and not longer and pro-rated. But the reviews were good and customers reported 3 - 4 years of reliable service. And of course the Walmart "Expert Advice" is to get it on a charger when not in use! lol

Here is the minimum/stock spec from the service manual: "Marine Grade Group 24 Dual Purpose 675 Marine Cranking Amp". Check what is already there first to avoid having to make another trip to the store if something bigger is in there.

Is a blue top overkill? Some say yes, but do you ever want to be stuck with a dead battery, NOPE. I'd say the additional 120 is WELL WORTH the security. I have two blue tops in my Yamaha and 1 blue top in my Tahitti.

The battery that was in the boat (which I believe to be original) was a Group 24 and not a Deep Cycle. I ultimately went with the Wal-Mart Group 27 Deep Cycle. From feedback here and other forums, I felt that either you spend $80-$120 or $150-$250. I opted for the lesser as it is an upgrade from what I had. I carry a jump box and I am never far from shore and relatively easily accessible help. That said, I will keep a close eye on it and they will test them for free for 5 years. I plan to bring it there at the beginning of each season to get a reading and it will be on the Battery Tender Jr. over the winter.

That leads to my next issue. Since it is a GR 27 and I had a GR 24, it won't fit in the battery tray. I knew this and I wanted an enclosed battery box anyway as well as to move/orientate the battery in a better position. Any advice on mounting the battery box to the floor near the original location? The box came with a couple of basic mounts and a template, but it doesn't seem like it would be great to hold a heavy battery. Thoughts?

I bought the battery box that had straps to hold them in place. Works great.

20131121_173109.jpg

One box is a group 24 box the other is adjustable to a group 31 box. In front of the one that is mounted towards the front is a 12" sub and an amp so that space is useless. I can still get my tool kit and table legs beside the battery box. Behind the rear battery box is ballast.

Last edited:
Put 4 screws with WASHERS into the floor through the bottom of the box and then mount the strap holders. You could turn the boat upside down and nothing will move.

Put 4 screws with WASHERS into the floor through the bottom of the box and then mount the strap holders. You could turn the boat upside down and nothing will move.

Length of screws? I assume wood screws with washers?

Back