• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Switch Issue, Help Needed!

gmcf2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a used 2017 AR210 with 120 hours on it. I am the 2nd owner. Since I have taken delivery, there is a low level, but very audible whirring/whistling sound when the battery switch is turned on. This concerned me from the start, but never having owned a Yamaha jet boat, I was not sure if this was normal or not. I keep the boat docked in the water during the week, connected to a solar marine battery charger, and drive up to our property on weekends to use it. For the first 3 weeks, the battery held a charge, despite the whirring/whistling and the bilge pump being left on while we were gone. This past weekend, the battery was completely dead when we arrived. I had to pull it and charge it. Everything in the boat is stock, no aftermarket stereo, speakers, etc. I tried to disconnect wiring harnessed for stereo, lights, and other electrical components to see if I could narrow down what is causing the sound. I could not figure it out. Is this noise normal? If not, has anyone else had this issue, or any ideas what might be causing it, and the battery draw?

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It sounds like the blower is on. Should be a switch on the dash to turn it off, or somebody hard wired it. Only other thing I am thinking is possibly the shallow water alarm. If the boat is sitting in shallow water, it will sound off constantly until silenced or turned off?? Just guesses at best?

gmcf2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like the blower is on. Should be a switch on the dash to turn it off, or somebody hard wired it. Only other thing I am thinking is possibly the shallow water alarm. If the boat is sitting in shallow water, it will sound off constantly until silenced or turned off?? Just guesses at best?
It's neither of those things unfortunately.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If something is making noise, it's probably drawing power. I would suggest using a hose as stethoscope and/or your careful attention and ear to locate the noise. With a multi meter you can measure the amp draw, but that won't help you much without some good suspects you can power off.

Find the noise and you might find what is really going on. Radio?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a used 2017 AR210 with 120 hours on it. I am the 2nd owner. Since I have taken delivery, there is a low level, but very audible whirring/whistling sound when the battery switch is turned on. This concerned me from the start, but never having owned a Yamaha jet boat, I was not sure if this was normal or not. I keep the boat docked in the water during the week, connected to a solar marine battery charger, and drive up to our property on weekends to use it. For the first 3 weeks, the battery held a charge, despite the whirring/whistling and the bilge pump being left on while we were gone. This past weekend, the battery was completely dead when we arrived. I had to pull it and charge it. Everything in the boat is stock, no aftermarket stereo, speakers, etc. I tried to disconnect wiring harnessed for stereo, lights, and other electrical components to see if I could narrow down what is causing the sound. I could not figure it out. Is this noise normal? If not, has anyone else had this issue, or any ideas what might be causing it, and the battery draw?
For sure not normal. Does it sounds like a mechanical whir or an electronic buzz? Put your ears to the speakers, make sure it's not some sort of interference. Did the previous owner hard wire a second bilge pump and it's on and running dry? Is it your fuel pump, maybe? Last owner didn't hardwire a fan, air horn, ballast pump?

You're not leaving your keys in ACC mode, are you?

Maybe try pulling fuses until you can get it to shut off.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2012 242 Limited and I have the same sound. You described it well..whirling/whistling. It seems to come directly from the levers to turn the batteries on and off. However, I’ve never had the batteries drain. Are all your switches at the helm off except for the bilge? If, for example, the shower switch is on, the pump can be running even if you’re not using it.

gmcf2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If something is making noise, it's probably drawing power. I would suggest using a hose as stethoscope and/or your careful attention and ear to locate the noise. With a multi meter you can measure the amp draw, but that won't help you much without some good suspects you can power off.

Find the noise and you might find what is really going on. Radio?
Does not seem to be the radio. The noise is more audible when I open the storage door behind the instrumentation panel. Tough to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from, but it is definitely inside that door. As I mentioned, I disconnected wire harnesses to try to try to narrow it. I'm at a loss.

gmcf2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For sure not normal. Does it sounds like a mechanical whir or an electronic buzz? Put your ears to the speakers, make sure it's not some sort of interference. Did the previous owner hard wire a second bilge pump and it's on and running dry? Is it your fuel pump, maybe? Last owner didn't hardwire a fan, air horn, ballast pump?

You're not leaving your keys in ACC mode, are you?

Maybe try pulling fuses until you can get it to shut off.
It is definitely not a buzz. A whirring sound is the best way I can think to describle it. Kind of like a lower pitched, less sharp sounding whistle. Nothing seems to be hardwired and there does not seem to be any upgrades to standard equipment. Makes the sound when keys are not even in the ignition, as long as the battery switch is on.

gmcf2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2012 242 Limited and I have the same sound. You described it well..whirling/whistling. It seems to come directly from the levers to turn the batteries on and off. However, I’ve never had the batteries drain. Are all your switches at the helm off except for the bilge? If, for example, the shower switch is on, the pump can be running even if you’re not using it.
Switches at the helm are all off. Noise seems to be coming from behind the instrumentation panel at the helm, inside the storage door where all the wiring is.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Gotcha…that’s odd. I like @anmut ‘s suggestion of pulling fuses until the sound goes away.