• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bearing Grease on 10hr Service

Sneedman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the first service 2020 AR195S 10hr service. Manual says to grease the bearing housing. Says the dealer should do it. Some research on forums say it’s shipped empty. You fill it with 30 or so pumps of grease then only 2-3 pumps per 100hrs at that point.

has anyone done this on a new 2019 or 2020 and can verify they are shipped empty? I don’t want to blow the seal.
Thanks

Attachments

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a great question open to debate on this site. Some say put a few pumps, some say load it up and others say do nothing. I know over filling can cause big issues. I took a conservative approach at 10 hrs and put about 8 pumps in then chickened out and stopped, it felt like i was starting to get resistance on the gun at that point and stopped. The beginning of this season with 67 hours on her I put 4 pumps in and called it quits. I am no expert by any means but taking a sampling of all the opinions on here I gathered less grease is much safer than too much grease. JUDGEMENT CALL

Sneedman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a great question open to debate on this site. Some say put a few pumps, some say load it up and others say do nothing. I know over filling can cause big issues. I took a conservative approach at 10 hrs and put about 8 pumps in then chickened out and stopped, it felt like i was starting to get resistance on the gun at that point and stopped. The beginning of this season with 67 hours on her I put 4 pumps in and called it quits. I am no expert by any means but taking a sampling of all the opinions on here I gathered less grease is much safer than too much grease. JUDGEMENT CALL
I’m thinking of taking the hose off at the entrance of the housing, then pumping from the top until grease comes out the bottom of the hose, reattaching (noting how
Much I pumped to begin) and then maybe 3-4 more at that point. My pumps does about a cc a pump so according to the manual of it were dry about 33-35 pumps. To fill the hose seems like it would be 25 or so. Of course there isn’t a known statement where they are shipped ‘dry’ or not.

Yamaha isn’t very clear on this. Repercussions of an overfill are very costly As we all know.

Is there a Yamaha technical support that can tell us exactly?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can’t see a boat delivered to a customer without having grease already in it, so as part of the prep, the dealer must be adding this initially I think. Then, it must be that perhaps the grease works itself in all the places that it needs to go after roughly 10 hours. Then you need to top it off according to the instructions but sounds like only the dealer knows how much to add, mmmmh 🤔 . From there, they trust the owner to put in a few squeezes every 100 hours.

minn19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just did the 10 hour service on my 2020 212S and had a similar experience. My dealer told me one pump and I’ve read the same here to do about 30 or so. I got to around 15 on each side and started feeling significant resistance so I stopped. I was more pissed that Yamaha and every manufacturer (car or boat) welds on the oil filters when new for some stupid reason.

Sneedman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did the 10 hour service on my 2020 212S and had a similar experience. My dealer told me one pump and I’ve read the same here to do about 30 or so. I got to around 15 on each side and started feeling significant resistance so I stopped. I was more pissed that Yamaha and every manufacturer (car or boat) welds on the oil filters when new for some stupid reason.
That’s interesting. I’m gonna mess with next week. Have plans to go out this weekend and really don’t want to get into it. I put 3
Solid pumps, felt nothing really. Someone suggested if they had just used a clear tube or really spelled it out what should be done how much easier.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Darkside

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I did my 10 hour service a couple of weeks ago , using the maintenance chart, myself and did not notice this page until you brought it up. My checkout guy at the dealer never mentioned it but said it would look good if I bought the oil change kit from the dealer for the 10 hour if something went wrong down the road for warranty. I'm still sitting on the Yamaha survey so I'll venture down the 2 miles to the dealer and see what they say. They seem to treat me nice as long as the survey is sitting out there, and always ask me about the survey when I go in.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The service manual for my 2019 lists this as a 100hr service, same as my owner's manual. Are you certain the screen grab is for the correct year? I left it alone at the 10hr service. However, I did spend over an hour finding and tightening loose cooling hose clamps, I don't think that was in the 10 service.

Attachments

Darkside

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The service manual for my 2019 lists this as a 100hr service, same as my owner's manual. Are you certain the screen grab is for the correct year? I left it alone at the 10hr service. However, I did spend over an hour finding and tightening loose cooling hose clamps, I don't think that was in the 10 service.
It's page 117 in my 2019 paper manual and the online manual, under Care and Storage. Odd place, easy to miss.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Indeed! Strange though how it's not covered in the service manual or the maintenance schedule chart (unless I completely missed that as well). I wonder if that part of the owner's manual is just a carryover from previous versions that has not been corrected?

Darkside

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Stopped by the dealer today and the service guy said they never do anything like page 117 described at 10 hours. He said to add some grease at 100 hours and not to be concerned. He had no problem with me recording him say these words, just in case something goes wrong.

minn19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Coming from being a car guy/tracking them a few times a year for fun...........it is crazy to me how all over the board the answers are for this maintenance item. It seems nearly every dealer has a different answer and even crazier it sounds like nobody has really gotten a clear answer from Yamaha either.

foozed

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Approaching 10 hours on our 2020 212s and curious what my dealer will tell me. I’ll post it here and let you know what they say.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
You are not greasing the bearing in a 2020 model (direct quote from technical services Yamaha U.S.A.) What you are doing is ensuring enough grease is in the gear case to prevent its seals from degrading to prevent water from entering the gear case and possibly your boat. Follow your manual EXACTLY. Too much grease will blow the seals and hose!!!!! You SHOULD put approximately 1.1 OUNCES of grease into the hose nipple that you will find under the starboard stern area of the engine cover. Remove the engine cover and you will see the black nipple cap. Remove the small black grease nipple protective cap, wipe the grease nipple with a clean rag. Use Yamaha approved marine grease. I did a test with my gun first - in my case 3 pumps gave 1.1 oz (check your manual for the EXACT amount). The bearings themselves are sealed. You repeat the process at manual interval times. 10 hours, 100 hours etc.

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For my 2012, they state 30 CC’s. I milliliter equals 1 cubic centimeter. For my pump, it took five pumps to fill up a five millimeter measuring spoon. So one pump equals 1 CC. So, 30 pumps for mine. Make sure you realize you’re doing volume and not weight. Also, @Canuckjetboater is correct, this is not a situation where you pump until grease comes out.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
For my 2012, they state 30 CC’s. I milliliter equals 1 cubic centimeter. For my pump, it took five pumps to fill up a five millimeter measuring spoon. So one pump equals 1 CC. So, 30 pumps for mine. Make sure you realize you’re doing volume and not weight. Also, @Canuckjetboater is correct, this is not a situation where you pump until grease comes out.

Agree 100% @sunbyrned .....check your manual for exact volume 2020 SX195 (10 hour add 1.11 - 1.18 ounces)
then (100 hours or 6 months .20-.27 ounces) .....and as @sunbyrned comments made clear grease guns all output varied amounts therefore I respectfully advise check your gun's output first. No grease is not good over greasing can cause damage. P.S. I used a "shot glass" to measure the amount my grease gun pumped. In my case three full pumps put 1.11+ ounces of grease out. ******Most important of all GO SLOWLY! It used to be that the hoses could be split - less likely now with more robust hoses but you can still blow the hose off the barb of the grease nipple as it is just held-on by a small zip tie.....and do replace the small black protector cap. Cheers! MT

Last edited: