• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bed Cover Recommendations

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the first time I've owned a pickup and a boat at the same time. Well technically pulled our first 18ft runabout with my S10 a few times, but quickly trade for a Yukon. I've had SUVs until now, and I'm quickly finding that I need some secured storage that isn't inside the cab. Things like the boat cover and straps once we get to the lake have to go somewhere, and I would like to have the rear covered and somewhat dry for the trip to the lake, as 2 adults and 2 kids in the cab doesn't leave room for coolers/beachbag/beach toys/etc.

In terms of security, I don't need it to be lockable, but that would be a plus. Most of the places I boat are secure enough to leave the cover and and straps and misc doo-dad's back there without worry. Just basically want to keep those pieces out of direct sight and discourage and easy pick so to speak.

I drove a work Truck for a few years that had a topper on it with side access windows. That was super useful, but didn't look so great visually. Plus it kept me from using the bed to put tall/overly dirty things in as it was a pain to clean. They are expensive too, so I think those are out unless someone has a really compelling argument for them.

Anyone have a hard fiberglass shell and use your truck to haul things like dirt/hay/mulch/refrigerators/etc? I do hayl my bicycles around with a cheesy wood mounted fork mount contraption on a regular basis and need the height for thay. Are they easy to take off if needed? I kind of like the look and they're lockable which is nice but not mandatory.

I had a soft vinyl cover that rolled up easily on that S10, but I can't remember the brand. I thought it looked nice and worked well. I might also consider a folding hard cover if the look and operation is easy enough.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a Silverado with this cover over the bed. My first truck and I'm very glad I have a cover on the bed, keep a stroller back there and I believe some Beach chairs from hiring up the beach a few weeks ago....

https://www.truxedo.com/p-36225-truxport-roll-up-truck-bed-cover.html

I got mine at Amazon for a good price and it was easy to install.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use BakFlip and BedRug. Best of all worlds. Every one of my future trucks will have that combo.

With BakFlip it is waterproof, locked (as long as you have locked tailgate), and can be folded back out of the way for tall loads. If you want it completely gone, pull two hand screws and lift off.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I use BakFlip and BedRug. Best of all worlds. Every one of my future trucks will have that combo.

With BakFlip it is waterproof, locked (as long as you have locked tailgate), and can be folded back out of the way for tall loads. If you want it completely gone, pull two hand screws and lift off.
Same combo here. If I was starting over I would go with the Retrax though.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use an Extang Solid Fold. I like it because you can't cut through it and I can walk on it, it folds up out of the way very easily, and takes all of 30 seconds to remove completely or re-install. Downside is it doesn't seem to seal 100% waterproof, if it rains hard enough some water still gets in.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I use my truck for everything. I went with this http://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-work-cover/. Hard cover that rolls into the toolbox. Supports a lot of weight on top and water tight when closed. Extremely well built. It's expensive, but it's the end all of truck covers. I'll never have a truck without one.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also, I have the factory hard tonneau I removed from the truck, 2013 f150 supercrew. It's for sale.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use my truck for everything. I went with this http://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-work-cover/. Hard cover that rolls into the toolbox. Supports a lot of weight on top and water tight when closed. Extremely well built. It's expensive, but it's the end all of truck covers. I'll never have a truck without one.
That looks really nice. I had a roll-up cover once, but it wasn't integrated into the toolbox, it was pain in the ass and it leaked. This one really looks good to me, might be my new cover.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use an Extang Solid Fold. I like it because you can't cut through it and I can walk on it, it folds up out of the way very easily, and takes all of 30 seconds to remove completely or re-install. Downside is it doesn't seem to seal 100% waterproof, if it rains hard enough some water still gets in.
This is the one I want. My truck came with the ford soft folding cover, I'm not really a fan. Just not sure if I'm not enough of a fan to ditch a functional one for the Extang. My brother in law has the extang, it's super nice.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I need to update my profile pic, it doesn't show my truck with the topper, but I love having a topper. Couple that with a telescoping boat hook and you never have to jump up into the bed to grab something. I just had a topper matched to my truck and it looks pretty good, I'll snap a picture of it and change my profile picture when I take my boat down to the slip later this month.

The only time I wouldn't consider a topper is if I had a 5th wheel. In which case, I had looked at BakFlip before and I think it's the best of the Tonneau cover style covers.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How about a deep toolbox for in the bed? We use ours as a "trunk" for a luggage when we travel in our truck. I have a small bag of tools along with some straps and bungee in there, but other then that there's plenty of room for our "stuff". And its lockable!! My question to the original poster is what's wrong with putting the cover and straps in the backseat while ya'll are out in the boat?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same combo here. If I was starting over I would go with the Retrax though.
I had the retrax that I just sold. I liked it but after 3 years it was flexing a lot. On our last trip back from Colorado. It was waving so much that I took it off. I have extang 2.0 or encore that I'm going to try. The retrax took up too much space as well.

Actually just ordered the encore

Last edited:

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a BakFlip trifold on my last truck.
It depends what you want to spend.
Hardtops are 800 and up and soft tops are 300 and up
Myself, I never really like the roll up covers, prefer trifolds

I believe All are pretty much lockable, you have to open tailgate to open covers.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

I have BakFlip and agree. Also added BakBox toolbox which can also be folded up to regain bed space if needed.

https://bakflip.com/shop-bak/bakbox-2.html

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The down side to my BakFlip G2 is that when it is folded all the way back, you can't see out of the back window. That is why for my next truck I will get one that rolls into back of the bed.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The down side to my BakFlip G2 is that when it is folded all the way back, you can't see out of the back window. That is why for my next truck I will get one that rolls into back of the bed.
The downside of my retrax is that I lost 2 feet of my 5.5 bed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The downside of my retrax is that I lost 2 feet of my 5.5 bed.
Is it really that bad? I still loose about 6" with the cover all the way up. I have already been leaning towards the long bed for whenever I upgrade.

On the plus side I like how the BakFlip is pretty close to flush... a lot of these cover sit up an inch or two over the rails.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How about a deep toolbox for in the bed? We use ours as a "trunk" for a luggage when we travel in our truck. I have a small bag of tools along with some straps and bungee in there, but other then that there's plenty of room for our "stuff". And its lockable!! My question to the original poster is what's wrong with putting the cover and straps in the backseat while ya'll are out in the boat?
2 car seats back there currently. So the cover has to go on top of the little ones seats. Not ideal, but it's what we're currently doing. Also we're currently putting the coolers and beach bags (with towels, snacks, etc) in the bed, as the little one still needs a "diaper bag" and the big one gets grumpy if his space is invaded with "our junk". I already have a "dry bag" from a previous vacation with luggage stored on a hitch mount rack on our SUV, and it works well for longer trips to keep luggage dry. I'm just looking for something that requires a little less logistics to make happen. Basically turning the bed into a giant trunk, without sacrificing the ability to haul the bikes a couple times a week, and dirty stuff that ends up in there every few months.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it really that bad? I still loose about 6" with the cover all the way up. I have already been leaning towards the long bed for whenever I upgrade.

On the plus side I like how the BakFlip is pretty close to flush... a lot of these cover sit up an inch or two over the rails.
If your not hauling a lot its not. It is not easy to remove, I did it by myself when I bought my lift a couple weeks back. The part that it rolls into gives you about a foot below it, to slide boards if needed. This ski season we had no space issues, except for spring break. We had 2 adults and 3 kids. 1 snowboard, 4 ski bags, 4 boot bags, bags for clothes, and a small ice chest. It all did not fit because of the loss of space. It was never a problem before, but we only took 2 pairs of skis before. I would certainly look at it in person, before I bought it again. I could be wrong, but I am trying the encore this time. I always have a cover on my truck, and the retrax was the first hard cover. My encore should be here tomorrow.