• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Been looking at trucks...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I'm interviewing for a new job, would be a semi local sales kinda deal, a lot of time in the car, and a good bit of taking customers around. I'm estimating 20k miles a year, company paid fuel, company car allowance, age and mileage limits, overall pretty standard stuff. It will also be my daily driver, MY family hauler wife will have her expedition), and tow vehicle.

I've considered a 22/23 f150 platinum with the black appearance package, but it sounds like those take FOREVER to get... plus they're 80k. A low mile 18+ platinum that I would black out, or lariat special edition would be basically the same, but possibly not have the same longevity before I have to trade due to mileage and age. These seem to be mid 50s for sub 30k miles, which isn't bad. Id be leaning towards ecoboost with a zfg tune so an easy 450 plus hp for commuting.

Titan pro4x seems like an option, but would need lowered for sure. It's slightly cheaper, a new one at 60k, or used at 50ish. Definitely not as nice, and likely not as good resale after it gets used up.

Ram is an option, but the 5.7 just feels disappointing vs the other options. It's probably fine, it just feels like a let down. Ecodiesel is an option, but since I won't be paying for fuel, it's not worth it as I'd pay for the engine upcharge. People will be stunned, but I wish they'd offer the turbo inline 6 in ram asap since they won't give me a damn 392.

Silverado is off the table because it doesn't have a panoramic moonroof, unacceptable today and at the price point.

Tundra... honestly I dunno. I haven't looked into the new one much, seems like they're hard to get and the new turbo 6 might be problematic. The platinum model looks pretty nice outside.

Outside of that, another expedition is an option, maybe a Tahoe premier, maybe a 23 wagoneer L? There's something to be said about putting car seats in the 3rd row for the kiddos, but in the truck I would just have to throw them in the bed when carrying customers around.

So, what does the forum think?

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lots of options here. Your’e all over the spectrum.
Me - I prefer the Chevy or the GMC. But that’s just me!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Regarding the Ram 1500, personally I'm quite happy with the 5.7 with the 8-speed tranny. With the Ram 2500, the engine is usually a 6.4 L with the 8-speed tranny. Locally, the MSRP sticker price on the 2500 Laramie is in the upper 60's.

Seems to be a lot more trucks available. Local dealers lot is full of Rams/Jeeps.

Jim

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Watch the 5.3L V8 in the GMs. There is an issue with the lifters breaking and requires towing and time at the shop, happened in our 2022 Yukon XL at 3,800 miles. The dealer said at the time it was around the 12th truck they have had back for this, but GM doesn’t see it as a big enough deal to recall.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Watch the 5.3L V8 in the GMs. There is an issue with the lifters breaking and requires towing and time at the shop, happened in our 2022 Yukon XL at 3,800 miles. The dealer said at the time it was around the 12th truck they have had back for this, but GM doesn’t see it as a big enough deal to recall.
Yeah, that's been an issue with gm motors since they started adding AFM. Ram has the issue too, my dad's 6.4L in his 2500 had that issue.

I'm definitely all over the place. Part of me wonders if the smart move is to buy a 250 diesel, as those tend to hold more value at 100k miles or so than a gas 150.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, that's been an issue with gm motors since they started adding AFM. Ram has the issue too, my dad's 6.4L in his 2500 had that issue.

I'm definitely all over the place. Part of me wonders if the smart move is to buy a 250 diesel, as those tend to hold more value at 100k miles or so than a gas 150.
they definitely hold their value...I traded in my 2011 3500HD Silverado a few months ago with 95k miles on it, and got $29k for it. Downsized to a 2500HD, which is a fantastic truck.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would be cautious with looking at used car/truck values over the past year. Got a $9500 settlement check, a couple of months ago, on a eight year old (2014) Chevy Sonic that cost us $14500 new. I would say it was more of a stupid, crazy used car market than the Sonic holding it’s value.

Jim

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be cautious with looking at used car/truck values over the past year. Got a $9500 settlement check, a couple of months ago, on a eight year old (2014) Chevy Sonic that cost us $14500 new. I would say it was more of a stupid, crazy used car market than the Sonic holding it’s value.

Jim
Definitely agree. I've kinda been looking into leasing. That way if the resale value stays crazy, that's fine. If it drops like a rock, I give it back.

Unfortunately, the lease for something like the f150 with 20k miles a year is the same as just buying it.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
with putting that many miles on it and being an ecoboost I'd find a new one. You'll eventually have to do the cam phasers, and it would be better if that wasn't you that had to do them. Trade/sell the thing before they become a problem. I will say I've heard changing the oil every 5k miles is what makes the phasers stay quiet and last. I will say mine with 80k miles is showing its age more than it should. My android auto has been super flaky lately. I'm hoping it's just the cable and not the APIM which is $800 just for the part. The trans tune for the current models is worlds better than mine, which I have driven and love. My trans unlocks the torque converter way too early and causes a shutter when warm every now and again. Need to change the fluid and see if it goes away. I changed the battery, which resets the trans learning and it has gotten worlds better adapting to my driving.

With all that being said I absolutely love this motor. The power is unreal. That gas mileage is also really damn good. If the market hadn't taken a dump.......and continually taking a dump like it has the last few weeks and likely into the future I'd be looking to replace my truck next year. I've been trying to convince myself to drive something other than an F150, but they're hard to beat. I'm also not a Ford homer. This is my first Ford and aside from it feeling like it's already getting old at 80k it has been an amazing truck.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Ecoboost in my 2017 Expedition. Just rolled 105k on it and it is running strong. Only thing to complain about was the center console radio got a short which took them forever to figure out, and I blew a trans line 1.5 years ago. Other than that it has been fantastic.

Personally I would do another Expedtion if they weren't so damn expensive. Had ford trucks and may be going back to another ford Truck if the family ever lets me :) as the kids go off to college.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a lot of options! As an owner of a 2018 f150 3.5, the Ford is a fine choice but I wouldn’t choose it again. The pluses are- the engine has all the power you need, huge crew cab with tons of room, decent gas mileage, towing is safe, smooth and drama free. The negatives are- the ride kinda sucks. I have the fx4 suspension so that doesn’t help. But it bounces and shudders. I had to do the cam phasers at 45k but fully covered by Ford. The transmission tune is bad. The way it sometimes clunks and bangs its way through the gears makes me think the tranny is dying, and makes me want to get rid of it before the power train warranty is up at 60k, I guess I don’t trust it. And for me, it’s huge. This is my first full size truck. I’ve had it for 18 months and I still find parking it to be a chore. I’d rather be in something shorter or with a better turning radius. I drove a 2021 suburban which is just as long but it turns way sharper so it’s somewhat easier to park.

for full size trucks, I would personally go with ram 1500 w 5.7 because the ride and the interior are head and shoulders better than the Ford, and I love the sound of a v8.

but personally I want something smaller to live with every day vs optimized for towing, so I’m thinking about trading in for a grand Cherokee 5.7.

My situation is different from yours for sure but figured I’d share the thought process. Good luck!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly I love our expedition, it's also ecoboost and it had the cam.phasors done before we bought it. The tune on the 10 speed in it is spot on, and seamless. The price point for an expedition vs an f150 is pretty equal, and honestly I like the expedition interior more than the new f150 for 2 reasons, the gauges aren't full digital (unless you get the stupid oversized screen which thankfully is an option), and the rotary shifter on expedition vs the weird power folding console lever on f150. I get it folds down to make a work surface, which is nice, but had it been a rotary knob you wouldn't need it to power fold. I just feel like the power fold will eventually quit and leave me stranded.

Did more research into tundra. Seems like it's an overall very solid option. Pricing on it is a perk, it's a good bit cheaper than f150, though admittedly not as nice. I like that the hybrid is still the performance motor, and then I found out the powerboost is the ecoboost plus the electric motor (for some reason I thought it was a less powerful v6 with the electric motor like the GC 4xe). So I've kinda decided that if I go new f150, it will be powerboost, probably with a tune. Supposedly that's a mid 4 seconds 0 to 60 combination.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 on the turbo six in the RAM. That might make me upgrade. The 5.7 in the RAM screams dinosaur, but it actaualy gets great gas mileage with a judicious right foot. I like the ecoboost, but I just can’t get into Ford’s interior styling, and good gas mileage requires the same judicious right foot.

Dare you get a car instead of a truck? :) Any cred with customers if a Rivian or Lightning?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 on the turbo six in the RAM. That might make me upgrade. The 5.7 in the RAM screams dinosaur, but it actaualy gets great gas mileage with a judicious right foot. I like the ecoboost, but I just can’t get into Ford’s interior styling, and good gas mileage requires the same judicious right foot.

Dare you get a car instead of a truck? :) Any cred with customers if a Rivian or Lightning?
Car would be a possibility, but means I keep the TBSS. That's not necessarily a downside, just different. Would have to rethink parking arrangements.

Cred with a rivian or lightning would go to shit. The people I'd be working with and the industry I'd be in would see them as expensive brags, and is lose any respect from them about understanding what the ground troops see so tonspeak. Plus, range would be a big issue, I'd be driving 150 miles out to a couple customers, around town a bit there, then back 150 miles. Unless there was a 600 mile range, or a 5 minute 350 mile charge boost option, it'd be a no go.

That's actually a big perk of the trucks, and f150 especially. 36 gallon tank (vs low 20s in expedition) means filling up at most on my way out or back, never during the day. The 32 gallon in ram would probably be fine, but between its extra heft and less efficient powertrain, it's much less buffer room. With the inline 6 though, I'd probably be more comfortable.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like a lot of options! As an owner of a 2018 f150 3.5, the Ford is a fine choice but I wouldn’t choose it again. The pluses are- the engine has all the power you need, huge crew cab with tons of room, decent gas mileage, towing is safe, smooth and drama free. The negatives are- the ride kinda sucks. I have the fx4 suspension so that doesn’t help. But it bounces and shudders. I had to do the cam phasers at 45k but fully covered by Ford. The transmission tune is bad. The way it sometimes clunks and bangs its way through the gears makes me think the tranny is dying, and makes me want to get rid of it before the power train warranty is up at 60k, I guess I don’t trust it. And for me, it’s huge. This is my first full size truck. I’ve had it for 18 months and I still find parking it to be a chore. I’d rather be in something shorter or with a better turning radius. I drove a 2021 suburban which is just as long but it turns way sharper so it’s somewhat easier to park.

for full size trucks, I would personally go with ram 1500 w 5.7 because the ride and the interior are head and shoulders better than the Ford, and I love the sound of a v8.

but personally I want something smaller to live with every day vs optimized for towing, so I’m thinking about trading in for a grand Cherokee 5.7.

My situation is different from yours for sure but figured I’d share the thought process. Good luck!
My trans is the same way. However, my buddy has a 2018 3.5 and his trans is super smooth and flawless. I changed my battery the other day and reset the learning in the trans and it's worlds better. Does yours have the max tow?

I also have an FX4 and my buddies sport has much softer suspension. F150's have a super quiet cab, though. The new F150 is like 1 decibel louder than the lightning on the highway. That's pretty impressive!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hated the fx4 suspension on my 2015. I would absolutely not get it again.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just like powersports, be careful of statements like this. Every MFG has to deal with an issue that may pop up, and it is up to the MFG to determine if it warrants a TSB, a recall, or just dealing with it under warranty.

The issue is the more expensive of an issue it is for the customer, be it time lost, or actual out of pocket cost, the more they go to the Internet and blow it up as if it is happening to "all" vehicles of that type. Please note how I have avoided talking about the GM 5.3L V8, as this is true with any MFG.

So unless the MFG has issued a TSB or recall, it is not happening as often as it may seem by the amount of publicity it may be getting on the Internet. Because for every one of these 5.3's that failed, there are undoubtedly 1000's of customers with no issue at all.

This is where I share that I have owned 3 GMC Sierra's with AFM Since 2012 and have all had amazing luck to the point that my latest Denali has the 5.3 over the 6.2 due to such great mileage and reliability. Your mileage may vary, literally.

A little bit of reality, that 5.3L engine has been used in almost every GM brand for over a decade with little refinements here and there to the actual engine. I would think that if this were as big of an issue as perceived, things may have changed in that amount of time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been on/off getting a truck for almost a year now. Here's my breakdown.

Ford F150 is the functional leader with a power boost drive line. A LOT of utility there, but I really dislike the interiors.

New Tundra is second in line. Still not an exceptional interior, but otherwise a great platform with the hybrid drive line.

Ram isn't terrible, with lots of value. Get a lot of truck for your money here.

Titan is an exceptional value. $65k gets a fully loaded Pro4X with just about every feature covered. A lease on one of these is relatively inexpensive and with a gas card the abysmal fuel mileage is tolerable. Could possibly be money ahead at the end of the month depending on your vehicle allowance. Downside to the value is a lack of refinement in suspension, the things ride stiff as a board.

GM is a known entity for me. I've had multiple 5.3's and they've all been exceptionally reliable. Styling exterior wise isn't great, but the new interior is amazing and top of class IMO.

Depending on industry you're in, a 2500/3500 could build some street cred, until they find out you don't actually use it at capacity. Depending on the crowd it could go good or bad.

If I was in your shoes, I would look hard at a lease and find a truck that is as close to a wash in monthly expenses as possible. That way you aren't owning that residual value hit from all those miles. Let the company take that hit for you. If I had to buy today, with my cash, I would get the Nissan Pro4X, followed closely by a Sierra AT4.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been on/off getting a truck for almost a year now. Here's my breakdown.

Ford F150 is the functional leader with a power boost drive line. A LOT of utility there, but I really dislike the interiors.

New Tundra is second in line. Still not an exceptional interior, but otherwise a great platform with the hybrid drive line.

Ram isn't terrible, with lots of value. Get a lot of truck for your money here.

Titan is an exceptional value. $65k gets a fully loaded Pro4X with just about every feature covered. A lease on one of these is relatively inexpensive and with a gas card the abysmal fuel mileage is tolerable. Could possibly be money ahead at the end of the month depending on your vehicle allowance. Downside to the value is a lack of refinement in suspension, the things ride stiff as a board.

GM is a known entity for me. I've had multiple 5.3's and they've all been exceptionally reliable. Styling exterior wise isn't great, but the new interior is amazing and top of class IMO.

Depending on industry you're in, a 2500/3500 could build some street cred, until they find out you don't actually use it at capacity. Depending on the crowd it could go good or bad.

If I was in your shoes, I would look hard at a lease and find a truck that is as close to a wash in monthly expenses as possible. That way you aren't owning that residual value hit from all those miles. Let the company take that hit for you. If I had to buy today, with my cash, I would get the Nissan Pro4X, followed closely by a Sierra AT4.
Do they do leases for 20k miles a year. If not, the mileage overage rate is usually very pricey. BTW, prices for used vehicles have come down substantially. I sold a vehicle in March to CarMax for the KBB price. I just checked the KBB price for fun and it is down over $10k.