• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Been looking at trucks...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do they do leases for 20k miles a year. If not, the mileage overage rate is usually very pricey. BTW, prices for used vehicles have come down substantially. I sold a vehicle in March to CarMax for the KBB price. I just checked the KBB price for fun and it is down over $10k.
They do, Ford does one that's 19500 miles a year seems like a couple others do as well.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been on/off getting a truck for almost a year now. Here's my breakdown.

Ford F150 is the functional leader with a power boost drive line. A LOT of utility there, but I really dislike the interiors.

New Tundra is second in line. Still not an exceptional interior, but otherwise a great platform with the hybrid drive line.

Ram isn't terrible, with lots of value. Get a lot of truck for your money here.

Titan is an exceptional value. $65k gets a fully loaded Pro4X with just about every feature covered. A lease on one of these is relatively inexpensive and with a gas card the abysmal fuel mileage is tolerable. Could possibly be money ahead at the end of the month depending on your vehicle allowance. Downside to the value is a lack of refinement in suspension, the things ride stiff as a board.

GM is a known entity for me. I've had multiple 5.3's and they've all been exceptionally reliable. Styling exterior wise isn't great, but the new interior is amazing and top of class IMO.

Depending on industry you're in, a 2500/3500 could build some street cred, until they find out you don't actually use it at capacity. Depending on the crowd it could go good or bad.

If I was in your shoes, I would look hard at a lease and find a truck that is as close to a wash in monthly expenses as possible. That way you aren't owning that residual value hit from all those miles. Let the company take that hit for you. If I had to buy today, with my cash, I would get the Nissan Pro4X, followed closely by a Sierra AT4.
Thats kind of what I was thinking regarding leasing. Use one up, let them own the 60 to 80k mile truck and deal with it.

New silverado (unless I missed it) is still only a single pane moonroof. At 50k plus, that's unacceptable.

I prefer the f150 interior to the ram I think. Just a personal preference, and frankly really dislike vertical screens. If I went ram I'd get the smaller screen.

Tundra has my attention. I overall like the interior, and the platinum is a great value at Iike 65k. Performance is a little disappointing vs powerboost, but maybe some tuners will extract some good power from the turbo. It's jus5 a delivery nightmare waiting a year or maybe more for one.

I was looking at explorer st again, and at 60k, I don't get it. For 5k more you're into a Tundra that's about as powerful, way nicer inside, way better residual... yeah.

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Silverado guy for 30 years. Needed new in 2019, and after exhaustive study, got a Ram 1500 Hemi Big Horn $34,500 out the door. Was offered 35 for it by the dealer last month, with 27000 miles on it. This will be my last truck. Very pleased. I would run from any Ford product there is a reason they are some of the least expensive trucks out there. My neighbor has a 2020 F150 and the electronics are too gadgety and as he said, too many things have gone wrong for him with a 2 year old truck. Never liked Fords anyway, as I had numerous police car Fords that were pure garbage. The Hemi Charger was the best eve cruiser I "owned" so call me biased. But I guess there is truth to Fix or Rapair daily/Found on Road Dead!. Get a Ram!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Tundra has my attention. I overall like the interior, and the platinum is a great value at Iike 65k. Performance is a little disappointing vs powerboost, but maybe some tuners will extract some good power from the turbo. It's jus5 a delivery nightmare waiting a year or maybe more for one.
Someone recently posted this on a similar, but different, thread:

"Worth mentioning, a friend of mine once said "Tundras ain't real trucks, thats why they're called TOY OTAS, they're Toys not trucks!".
I hope this adds to your discussion :) "

Hope it also adds to this discussion! 🤣🤣🤣

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do they do leases for 20k miles a year. If not, the mileage overage rate is usually very pricey. BTW, prices for used vehicles have come down substantially. I sold a vehicle in March to CarMax for the KBB price. I just checked the KBB price for fun and it is down over $10k.
I drive around the same.amount. I was close to leasing at that rate in May. The finance manager basically structured the deal to buy 18.5k miles up front. It's like the price is right, you want to buy as many miles up front that you think you'll use, but not go over. It's cheaper to buy up front, but you don't get refunds if you go over. So, try to estimate well, and aim for a net zero outcome.

Overages we're around $0.50/mi. Up front buy on miles was around $0.18/mi.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My trans is the same way. However, my buddy has a 2018 3.5 and his trans is super smooth and flawless. I changed my battery the other day and reset the learning in the trans and it's worlds better. Does yours have the max tow?

I also have an FX4 and my buddies sport has much softer suspension. F150's have a super quiet cab, though. The new F150 is like 1 decibel louder than the lightning on the highway. That's pretty impressive!
I don’t think I have max tow, I have the tow electronics and the big gas tank but the 3.55 gears. Mine got flashed when they did the cam phasers and it was waaaay better for a short while before picking up its old habits again. Hope yours is different, and good to know the fx4 is at least partly to blame!

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I lease Ford F150s since 2013..I have a work car, so mileage isnt a factor. I had the (2) 2.7s, 3.5, and now just got the 5.0. The 3.5 pulled the boat the best, but I'm really liking the throatyness of 5.0 in sport mode. Smoothest ride so far (XLT Crew 20" tires) and love the 11" touch screen/backup camera. I drove the lightning the other day..speechless...almost as smooth a ride as that. Loved the "Frunk" storage under the hood of the lightning.
I've only had Fords since my first 1972 Mustang. I've always wanted to try the Tahoe and Suburban, cause I have Chevys for work.
Good Luck!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don’t think I have max tow, I have the tow electronics and the big gas tank but the 3.55 gears. Mine got flashed when they did the cam phasers and it was waaaay better for a short while before picking up its old habits again. Hope yours is different, and good to know the fx4 is at least partly to blame!
You most likely have the max tow then. Now you can get those pieces individually, but back then the only way to get the 36 gallon tank was part of the max tow package. I have it as well and love it. I'll never have another truck with a smaller tank.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If it was your personal vehicle and not work I would say based on what I've seen you post, this is close and shut on a Ram TRX.

For business go with nicest ride and interior.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it was your personal vehicle and not work I would say based on what I've seen you post, this is close and shut on a Ram TRX.

If it was personal I'd be in a hellcat durango. For sure.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone recently posted this on a similar, but different, thread:

"Worth mentioning, a friend of mine once said "Tundras ain't real trucks, thats why they're called TOY OTAS, they're Toys not trucks!".
I hope this adds to your discussion :) "

Hope it also adds to this discussion! 🤣🤣🤣

Jim
Very smart person whonsaod that for sure, lol.

Actually one of the reviews for Tundra, might have been savagegeese, said something along the same lines that came from the Tundra team. They said along the lines of "the domestic trucks sell large volumes to businesses as fleet vehicles, and so they design them to appeal to fleets with features fleets and businesses value. Tundra doesn't sell large amounts to fleets, so we design them with consumers in mind, and what they care about."

It makes a lot of sense, and while instill think that f150 is the nicest truck in class, it's easy to see why someone who wants a home use truck would pick the new tundra.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You most likely have the max tow then. Now you can get those pieces individually, but back then the only way to get the 36 gallon tank was part of the max tow package. I have it as well and love it. I'll never have another truck with a smaller tank.
This may go way back, but my buddy had a couple of the first and second gen Ecoboost F150's and he got larger tanks on those two. It was funny, as you could spot a 1/2 ton max tow quickly by the addition of tow mirrors standard. It always drew our attention, but the mileage was not there, so he avoided them. I'm sure that has all changed

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This may go way back, but my buddy had a couple of the first and second gen Ecoboost F150's and he got larger tanks on those two. It was funny, as you could spot a 1/2 ton max tow quickly by the addition of tow mirrors standard. It always drew our attention, but the mileage was not there, so he avoided them. I'm sure that has all changed
I haven't seen many of the F150's with the tow mirrors for the 2017+. It was a separate option for mine for the max tow and tow mirrors was not part of the package. You'd think it would be. It sucks now cause it used to be if you saw the pro trailer assist it was guaranteed to be a max tow. That's not the case on the current gen as it's a stand alone option now.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Ford tow mirrors are what I liked the most. They were super functional. I have no real need for a 3/4 ton, just better mirrors. And that's not really when towing the boat, as the bow is easy to see around. It's for when we tow enclosed trailers or a pontoon. Those tall square boxes are tough to see around.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Ford tow mirrors are what I liked the most. They were super functional. I have no real need for a 3/4 ton, just better mirrors. And that's not really when towing the boat, as the bow is easy to see around. It's for when we tow enclosed trailers or a pontoon. Those tall square boxes are tough to see around.
Dodge has some nice mirrors. You can rotate them.90 degrees into tow mirrors. I think the new tundra does that, plus has power extension. So normal mirrors for day to day, and tow mirrors when you need them.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Regarding the Ram 1500, personally I'm quite happy with the 5.7 with the 8-speed tranny. With the Ram 2500, the engine is usually a 6.4 L with the 8-speed tranny. Locally, the MSRP sticker price on the 2500 Laramie is in the upper 60's.

Seems to be a lot more trucks available. Local dealers lot is full of Rams/Jeeps.

Jim
Most of the Rams that are available are diesels. I don't think Cummins had chip shortage issues. The 8-speed tranny is a ZF tranny. It's a beast.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most of the Rams that are available are diesels. I don't think Cummins had chip shortage issues. The 8-speed tranny is a ZF tranny. It's a beast.
I think Ram is just pushing them (eco boost diesel) knowing that they are dropping the 5.7 in 2023. If you want a real motor you better go buy a 5.7 while they still have them.

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dodge has some nice mirrors. You can rotate them.90 degrees into tow mirrors. I think the new tundra does that, plus has power extension. So normal mirrors for day to day, and tow mirrors when you need them.
Most mfgs offer "optional mirrors" and the rotating ones are cool. There are very few standard on 1/2 ton trucks, as many don't tow with them. Ram included, you have to pay for the option of those mirrors. Of course, my brother in law got them standard on his Ram 1-ton.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll add to this a bit..........if @BlkGS new position is in sales. Know your clients and choose appropriately. I would choose something different if I was in IT sales in CA versus heavy equipment in FL.

I'll also go back to leasing. I'm pretty certain if I had a vehicle allowance from the office, I would be in a lease. Find something with the capacity and capability I need personally and professionally, then buy my miles up front, and drive as close to "free" as I could. Next door neighbor does this. Gets $1k/mo for a truck, and a fuel card. He drives a new truck every 3yrs, and leases each one of them. When he's done with it, he drops the keys off and gets a new one. His exposure financially is very low. He's driving a '21 Nissan Titan right now. Payment and professional insurance is just over $1k/mo, and the abysmal 14mpg is carried by the company. He's going to move back to a 2500 pickup in the spring and not really be out any cash other than the accessories he puts on the truck (tint, bed cover, tires, etc).

As to which truck to choose? Does it HAVE to be a truck? If you can find an SUV you like that still fits the capabilities you need, they're MUCH easier to live with as a daily driver. Especially if you're spending any time in/around urban areas where you'll have to park, navigate, and deal with tight spaces. I would love to move to an AT4 pickup, but I'm really enjoying the sporty-ness, and liveability of my Q7 right now.

Just some thoughts.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
As to which truck to choose? Does it HAVE to be a truck? If you can find an SUV you like that still fits the capabilities you need, they're MUCH easier to live with as a daily driver. Especially if you're spending any time in/around urban areas where you'll have to park, navigate, and deal with tight spaces. I would love to move to an AT4 pickup, but I'm really enjoying the sporty-ness, and liveability of my Q7 right now.

Just some thoughts.
I would have to disagree here. Dimensions on a truck vs full size SUV are near identical.