• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Beginners guide

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Brand new to forum.
Just purchased a 2020 Yamaha sx 210. Never owned a boat before, much less a jet boat. Trying to avoid any mishaps in maintaining and use. I’m ignorant- don’t want to be.

is there a thread someone could point me to that would be a step-by-step how-to... from launch/trailering/putting away? The whole nine yards.

big concern I have is a procedure for clearing water out and draining after on the trailer. Boat will only be used freshwater Texas and we have a mussels problem.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is my two cents. First pick up some bumpers at wal mart. Pretty cheap insurance against bumping the docks. I would get a boat hook as it would help a lot on windy days. Go slow and reverse is your best friend.

As for getting the water out, just clear out your engines at the ramp, and pull your clean out plug, and drain plug. I boat in contaminated waters as well but should probably clear out my water box when it’s on the lift more often.

Ramp advice, get whoever you are with to spot for you and hold your dock lines for you to make launching easy. Retrieving is not too bad. We winch on most of the time as we don’t have side guides. I get the trailer pretty deep and just use the winch to center it.

All in all just be patient and take your time. These boats are great once you learn how to play the wind and use your reverse to help you out. Mistakes will happen but learn from them. 😀

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Browncnathanael Where are you located at? There may be a member who is very close if you run into a big challenge.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations in the boat. YouTube is a great resource for how-to just about anything. But, pretty much follow what everyone else said. Pay attention to how your boat is on the trailer now prior to launching and position it the same way after. After pulling it, start and rev each engine to blow out the water boxes (exhaust). Pull the clean out plugs. Pull the drain. Your state should have recommended guidelines for self decontamination (clean, drain, and dry). They probably have hot water decontamination if you plan to visit a non contaminated body of water. Get a bottle of Boat Bling Hot Sauce and spray and wipe down the boat to prevent water spots and keep your boat looking new. Follow the maintenance in your manual. Practice backing the trailer in a empty parking lot. When boating, throw a bumper out and practice maneuvering around it.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you’re only going to the lake once a week or so and trailering then you shouldn’t have an issue with mussels. The engines get hot enough to kill them and the pumps don’t hold any water once you pull the clean out plugs.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Make sure you know the VERY IMPORTANT sequence to run/flush the engines on the hose. Always, start the engine first, then turn on the water hose. Then on the other end, turn off the water hose first and then shut the engine off. You do not want to hydrolock an engine.
As far as zebra mussels, the last two years we have slipped our boat, we have found them on the pumps and fins at the end of the season. There will always be a little bit of water left in the exhaust water boxes, even after blow out. I don't know that water temp. or if it kills the mussels. The "pisser" water temp is not that hot. I do know Starbrite hull cleaner, a stiff brush and a flat screwdriver cleans them off.

20181011_093041.jpg

20181011_094556.jpg

Last edited:

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just to back up above postings,,,YouTube is a great resource for learning unloading/loading/docking. I also took a state course on boat safety, passed and got my certificate. That itself was a great learning experience as I also am new to the boating scene.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to the board. I'm in Houston but boat out of Clear Lake. I think we have other members that boat in Lake Conroe and Lake Houston. Nice Purchase!

Don't go faster than the speed at which you are willing to hit the dock when near the dock... think of steering a bowl on ice with thrusts of water coming out the back...in no way a certain thing like a car, but more like a hovercraft.

It tracks much more certain at speed.

If you have access to someone nearby that's into boats they will be happy to show you the ropes.

You need an anchor, and don't leave the dock or safe anchorage until the boat starts. Start boat, then undo ropes and/or pull anchor, not the other way.

Best of Luck with your new purchase. I'm in West Houston and have had boats in the family for over 25 years (but not specifically your boat model) This board is super helpful. Watch some youtube too.

Best of Luck!

pmustico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Brand new to forum.
Just purchased a 2020 Yamaha sx 210. Never owned a boat before, much less a jet boat. Trying to avoid any mishaps in maintaining and use. I’m ignorant- don’t want to be.

is there a thread someone could point me to that would be a step-by-step how-to... from launch/trailering/putting away? The whole nine yards.

big concern I have is a procedure for clearing water out and draining after on the trailer. Boat will only be used freshwater Texas and we have a mussels problem.
Enjoy. You're smart to ask the forum. I'm smart to let others answer.