• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Forum not a jet boater yet

smoke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hello guys

new to this forum.
I love the water and I have own many jet ski over the years But never own a boat.
Since retirement is getting super close I want to buy a boat.
I am thinking about the yamaha 250 either the AR or the SX.
The boat will only be used on lake even I would love to take it to florida I am concern by the damage done by the salt.

one of the question is can you tow a AR250 with a honda Pilot. I have a Ram2500 but will not need it anymore and I am thinking to sell it.
the Pilot towing capacity is supposed to be ok but I am conern by the handling and also by the launch on the ramp.
any of you tow a 25ft yamaha with a mid size SUV?
thank you

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Whats the tow capacity of the Honda?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!!!

Myself, I would want the 2500 to pull it. That’s a lot of boat behind a mid sized SUV. It’s not the getting it going part of the equation, it’s the stopping it. You can’t always rely on the trailer brakes to work properly and that much weight behind a Pilot would just shove that vehicle around.
Just my .02

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends on year and if you have the AWD with the ATF Cooler. If you do I believe that is 5,000 lbs with only two passengers in car. Which to be honest with an AR 250 is heavier than that. Without fuel, gear, ice, etc. The AR250 sits at 5,224 lbs on the trailer dry weight. Add everything else and a full tank and you can be knocking on 6000 lbs. So you are 20% over your max towing rating on the Pilot, with only two passengers. 1 of the primary reasons I keep my Expedition beside holding 8 people is that it can tow 9500 lbs. So When we go to a bigger boat I can tow it safely.

1690762840417.png

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AR/SX 250 is probably going to be too much for the Pilot. I actually went from a V6 Pathfinder to an Armada for towing, night and day. Pathfinder did the job but I always felt the boat moved the SUV around too much for my peace of mind. Pathfinder was rated at 6500 lbs.

No issues to worry about with salt water, just make sure to wash boat and flush engines after each outing.

smoke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Depends on year and if you have the AWD with the ATF Cooler. If you do I believe that is 5,000 lbs with only two passengers in car. Which to be honest with an AR 250 is heavier than that. Without fuel, gear, ice, etc. The AR250 sits at 5,224 lbs on the trailer dry weight. Add everything else and a full tank and you can be knocking on 6000 lbs. So you are 20% over your max towing rating on the Pilot, with only two passengers. 1 of the primary reasons I keep my Expedition beside holding 8 people is that it can tow 9500 lbs. So When we go to a bigger boat I can tow it safely.

View attachment 205266
Thank you guys, I see the 5224 so this going to be too much for a Pilot
I will keep the ram diesel which will give peace of mind going down hill the rockies

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you guys, I see the 5224 so this going to be too much for a Pilot
I will keep the ram diesel which will give peace of mind going down hill the rockies
Good call. Remember the dry weight is the boat and trailer with no fuel, gear, coolers and all the other stuff we managed to pile up in our boats :) The RAM Diesel is a great truck and it will pull it effortlessly.

As an aside. You can get an AR250 right now (recommend the tower if it works for you, since you can use it for all sorts of things) used for a decent price and they are coming down. Just saw one online for $60k 2022. May be a consideration. You can save yourself $15k or more depending on what the dealers are charging and what the used boats are coming with..... Covers, and gear.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
option it with aluminum trailer if you can or at least galvanized for saltwater use. Keep the RAM 2500, Hauling it to Florida would be a breeze specially if you live far from Florida.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yah, way too little. With your RAM diesel you will have plenty of capacity for any extra cargo you want to haul when towing the boat.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We originally ordered a 212S to be pulled with a 2009 Tahoe. By the time order fulfillment came around they canceled our 212S and offered us an AR250. Long story short, we accepted as the AR250 was just within our towing capacity. It didn't work. Couldn't get more than about 10 miles before the transmission would overheat. Had to trade up to a 5.7 liter Toyota Tundra. Go with the RAM and thumbs up on not only retirement but, retirement with a boat!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We originally ordered a 212S to be pulled with a 2009 Tahoe. By the time order fulfillment came around they canceled our 212S and offered us an AR250. Long story short, we accepted as the AR250 was just within our towing capacity. It didn't work. Couldn't get more than about 10 miles before the transmission would overheat. Had to trade up to a 5.7 liter Toyota Tundra. Go with the RAM and thumbs up on not only retirement but, retirement with a boat!
The Tahoe should have pulled it easily. More than likely the filter was plugging up or the trans cooler was in need of a good cleaning. Either way it doesn’t matter as long as you have something to pull the boat.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Find a used one for sure. If taken care of (easy to detect) you are way ahead of the game.

smoke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Good call. Remember the dry weight is the boat and trailer with no fuel, gear, coolers and all the other stuff we managed to pile up in our boats :) The RAM Diesel is a great truck and it will pull it effortlessly.

As an aside. You can get an AR250 right now (recommend the tower if it works for you, since you can use it for all sorts of things) used for a decent price and they are coming down. Just saw one online for $60k 2022. May be a consideration. You can save yourself $15k or more depending on what the dealers are charging and what the used boats are coming with..... Covers, and gear.
I know but the Ram takes a lot of space in the garage that is full of toys.
I may pull the trigger for 60k for a used 22.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know but the Ram takes a lot of space in the garage that is full of toys.
I may pull the trigger for 60k for a used 22.
You will still be over the tow rating with a 22' and the pilot. Dryweight is 4,738. Add fuel and you are at 5,200. Add Gear, cooler and you are at 5,500. So with two people in the Pilot you are over the tow rating.