• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Below the battery tray

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Does anyone know what is below the battery tray? If one were to drill a hole adjacent to the batteries would water drain into the bilge? The same for the starboard storage? I'm looking to add drainage and I can't see where it leads to.
Thanks!8F80F2A6-4852-4774-B87E-78208FD2F69B.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

EDIT: Sorry - sometimes I just can not help myself...
--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On the first gen yamaha 240s there is free air between the inner hull (that the battery/batteries sit on and the outer hull. How much space is questionable. I suggest you drill a small pilot in the inner hull and use an uncooked noodle to measure the distance to the outer hull. To answer you question anything under the inner hull in this area should follow the v of the hull and drain into the bilge area.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
On the first gen yamaha 240s there is free air between the inner hull (that the battery/batteries sit on and the outer hull. How much space is questionable. I suggest you drill a small pilot in the inner hull and use an uncooked noodle to measure the distance to the outer hull. To answer you question anything under the inner hull in this area should follow the v of the hull and drain into the bilge area.
If I understand what you are saying, anything that is below the upper deck should drain into the hull to the lower most point and follow the route to those two small drainage holes you can see if you remove the bait bucket holder and the clean out tray?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I understand what you are saying, anything that is below the upper deck should drain into the hull to the lower most point and follow the route to those two small drainage holes you can see if you remove the bait bucket holder and the clean out tray?
Pretty much, with two caveats. One is floating foam - they do use it, per USCG, but where? - I don’t think we know. The other has to do with the bilge being the lowest point in the hull only when on plane or on a trailer - with the bow jacked up. Otherwise water will linger midship, somewhere inside the pseudo double hull.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Otherwise water will linger midship, somewhere inside the pseudo double hull...
...and seep in from the backside of your changing area floor drains if you haven't re-sealed those mounting flanges.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
...and seep in from the backside of your changing area floor drains if you haven't re-sealed those mounting flanges.
Fortunately I figured that out when all else had failed. It feels strange now having a dry changing room...

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was thinking about the same thing. For some reason I thought I had looked up that direction recently to see about options for running the so called self draining channels for the battery hatch and seems to me there was a gap. I will be looking things over this weekend to start the channel drains so will take a look more closely.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I drilled into the area between the batteries and it was very thick. I get the feeling that is where there is foam or other insulation. So, I just filled it back up with silicone and sighed.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you try looking up that way through the access panel in the swim platform? I think if it's supported it's go to be on pads and not solid? I could be wrong but that's the way the bulk of the liner I supported. So you could have simply just drilled into the wrong spot. I'll be working on my drains this weekend so I'll take a closer look

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did you try looking up that way through the access panel in the swim platform? I think if it's supported it's go to be on pads and not solid? I could be wrong but that's the way the bulk of the liner I supported. So you could have simply just drilled into the wrong spot. I'll be working on my drains this weekend so I'll take a closer look
I hadn't thought about that. I think I just got nervous. Yeah, let me know what you see. It's never too late to drill again!

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well I had just a few minutes this afternoon to take a look at the battery compartment. Based on what I can see the liner goes back into the swing platform area. May have to pull one of the starboard panels behind the battery to see if there's and gap. As you can see by the photo there's a raised area behind the battery compartment. Yamaha liner system is very odd.

Attachments

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
When I drilled the decking it almost looked like particle board fragments were underneath. It was hard to tell with the fiberglas debris mixed in.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I hope there's no particle board under there. I can't imagine that there would be any wood at all. I'm assuming the stringers are all glass and foam filled but to be honest I can't tell what is what inside this boat. If I had to guess the hull is layed up and the stringers which are part of the liner system are glued/glassed into place?

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I can confirm that there is wood used in our boats. Not sure of the location in this thread, but during my cup holder install I found that the small steps up towards the bow are a combination of 1/4” fiberglass with a 1/2” of a balsa wood like material sandwiched in between. I’m assuming it’s used in certain areas to thicken the deck, hatches, and for sound deadening. But that’s just my guess.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Balsa is a standard product used to add thickness and strength without added unwanted weight so that's no surprise. Just need to be careful to seal any exposed balsa. Even though balsa is laid in end core water can be absorbed into the raw sections and eventually cause delamination. Not very common above the waterline but non-the less can happen

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drilled into this area last week while installing an on board charger. There was definitely appearance of wood on the drill bit. I was careful while drilling through the other side not to plunge then slowly passed a long plastic tube through the hole. Directly beneath where I drilled there was nothing. About 3 inches below the floor it felt like a dense foam. I filled the holes with caulk then the screws securing the charger

Last edited:

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you had 3" of foam my guess is you hit a stringer that is foam filled. I know there is a raised area on the engine side of that compartment that looked as if it maybe a stringer.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I meant there was free air space directly beneath the battery compartment floor until roughly 3 inches below it then I felt the foam.