• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Below the battery tray

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I'm assuming the foam was exposed ? Meaning liner- void-foam? Or liner-void-liner-foam?

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So maybe I needed to drill down a little farther? I think I only drilled about 2 1/2" or so.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The floor of the battery compartment appeared to be fiberglass-wood-fiberglass and it was maybe 1.5-2 inches thick where I drilled.
Then void/free air space for about 3 inches then what felt like exposed foam.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That sounds right from what I could see down the rabbits hole. I think it's better left alone for now. I'd still like to get that water out of the battery compartment area though. :arghh:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds right from what I could see down the rabbits hole. I think it's better left alone for now. I'd still like to get that water out of the battery compartment area though. :arghh:
I tried to warn you...! LOL. :D

But seriously - I would drill pilot holes and probe with a cable router.

--

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Maybe I'll go a little farther with the first one and use my endoscope to take a look-see. If I see eyes staring back in the darkness I'm closing her up for good.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you see pavement, you've gone to far :)

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If you see pavement, you've gone to far :)
Good one!

However, I came upon something a little disturbing on this venture.

The pilot hole I drilled down was capped with a silicone plug I placed over it. Today, I removed it and used a wire and explored the bottom of the hole. Suddenly, the hole filled with water. It beads up to the top of the deck but does not flow over. Now I am a little concerned. Where is this water originating from? This video shows a paper towel whisking up the water, then the hole filling. Mind you, the hole is only about 3" at the most.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
You know what? I'm gonna start a new thread on this. See if we can get some other's to provide input.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There's obviously some water trapped under that area and enough that it would provide enough pressure to push out of the holes. Try lowering the bow down as far as you can and see if you get any water through the floor drains in the changing room. Or place a floor jack under the trailer and try lifing up that side of the boat as high as you can to see if you can get the water to go to the center of the boat and drain out. This has been my concern and why I had ask if anyone had a diagram of the hull and stringers. It would appear that the hull liners are attached to the hull by means of some type of epoxy. Which means there could be liners glued in that have voids at the seam and allow water to enter but not exit.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Just to see, I removed the two screws holding in the separator/buffer you see circled. I pushed two q-tips into each screw hole and let sit for a minute. I removed them and they had both absorbed water as well. This confirms to me the pilot hole is not the only place where water was being exposed. Extrapolating from that, I would assume all the screw going through the deck in the battery tray area are wet. The water has a tinge to it, kind of a light rust. I'll be very interested to find out what Yamaha has to say.

Interesting thought: This is well above the water line. It is salty water, not fresh water from washing down the deck. How could salt water possible settle above the water line? It's a riddle to me.

IMG_1880.jpg

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
There's obviously some water trapped under that area and enough that it would provide enough pressure to push out of the holes. Try lowering the bow down as far as you can and see if you get any water through the floor drains in the changing room. Or place a floor jack under the trailer and try lifing up that side of the boat as high as you can to see if you can get the water to go to the center of the boat and drain out. This has been my concern and why I had ask if anyone had a diagram of the hull and stringers. It would appear that the hull liners are attached to the hull by means of some type of epoxy. Which means there could be liners glued in that have voids at the seam and allow water to enter but not exit.
I also started a new thread to get a few more eyes on the issue.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's the side that has the drains. I wonder if they could be leaking enough to take on a little water and settle on that side. My last boat was foam filled and had low spots that water would collect in and never drain . Here's what you need to do. Take a wet dry vac and duct tape a straw to it and stick it down in the holes and see how much water you suck out. Could just be a small void with a low spot?

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That's the side that has the drains. I wonder if they could be leaking enough to take on a little water and settle on that side. My last boat was foam filled and had low spots that water would collect in and never drain . Here's what you need to do. Take a wet dry vac and duct tape a straw to it and stick it down in the holes and see how much water you suck out. Could just be a small void with a low spot?
Great minds think alike. I used my wet dry vac and vacuumed out a few ounces of water. It fills VERY slowly. Wait a few seconds and it fills with about a teaspoon of water. If it is a void it must be big enough to reach the screw holes. But again, why would salt water collect above the waterline?

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you ever use the washdown hose? It could be the rear floor drain a small leak. That would be in the same area. Did you try pulling the helm access panel to look over that way. May need a light and a mirror to stick down in there to get a good view.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Do you ever use the washdown hose? It could be the rear floor drain a small leak. That would be in the same area. Did you try pulling the helm access panel to look over that way. May need a light and a mirror to stick down in there to get a good view.
Not the wash down hose side. It's really an inaccessible spot. The drain hoses are visible there and not below deck as well. It's still full of water today. I just sent the dealer an email and I'm going in Tuesday for a replacement console insert (the glove compartment part that's black plastic).

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Let us know what the dealer has to say.