• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best boat under $30k

cb0ggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Hi All!
New member and first post. I’m on the hunt for a boat that can hold at least 8 people. I want to be able to go tubing and skiing, as well as fishing. I prefer a ski boat over a pontoon.

max budget is $30k all in. I would appreciate your recommendations. My research continues to lead me to a Yamaha SX190. Do you have better recommendations??

thank you for reading and replying!!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get a late model used sx230. Shoot for 2007-2009 vintage and use any extra cash in your budget to do mods.

Buy your second boat first and enjoy the search. Good luck!

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I second the 07-09 AR/SX230s. They have plenty of room and power (high output motors). Just had 8 adults for a three day weekend, 4 coolers, and a couple other bags. Plenty of room, felt like we could fit 4 more even though our max is 10. That head compartment for storage is a difference maker too. Just make sure whatever you go with you do your due diligence. And post pics when you pull the trigger on one!!

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
If you are only going to have 8 people on board for cruising, the 190 will be ok, but if you have that many on board all the time, you’ll probably be disappointed in the performance. Especially if you are using it for water sports, and have it full of people. Boats used for towing skiers, tubes etc, need a lot of power if they are also full of passengers. I learned to wakeboard on a boat that was slow out of the hole with 4 people on the boat, and was hard to get out of the water. With just 2 people, I popped right up.

Gmole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a 2021 SX190. The most we have had so far is 5 adults 2 coolers and everyones stuff. , which was fine but i think 6 would be the max if you want everyone confortable. It is usually 2-4 on board. Cruising and tubing is about all we do.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I've had 8 on my 195 twice and it absolutely is way too crowded. Need at least a 21 footer

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The jetoon
AC2E461D-CEA2-4D77-ACB5-5835D9103A64.jpeg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We loved our 07 AR230 HO. She was a great boat. Easy to maintain, drive, launch and load. Feeling a bit of sellers remorse two weeks after the sale.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
We loved our 07 AR230 HO. She was a great boat. Easy to maintain, drive, launch and load. Feeling a bit of sellers remorse two weeks after the sale.
What's next?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's next?
I figured @zipper already gave us a teaser for his next purchase.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I figured @zipper already gave us a teaser for his next purchase.
Funny...We did not have this boat in mind when we bought our new to us tow rig. Would need a bigger upgrade.

Edit: BTW that boat stayed on the trailer all weekend. It did not compete in the poker run this weekend. "All show, no go." lol

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get a late model used sx230. Shoot for 2007-2009 vintage and use any extra cash in your budget to do mods.

Buy your second boat first and enjoy the search. Good luck!
My favorite of all the Yamaha jet boats!
I am a little biased, I owned a 2008 SX-230 from 2009 until I sold it in 2017. Awesome boat. Highly recommended - but they are getting a bit older, so try to find one that is coming from a caring owner.

PS: It stickered new for ~$39K in 2008. I bought mine as a leftover in 2009 (it was manufactured in July 2007) from a regional dealer that collected inventory from other dealers that went bankrupt during the Great Recession. Before adding the Y.E.S., anchor lights, and a spare tire, I paid $28.5K (including shipping +Yamaha mooring cover), before tax with only a total of $200 or so of dealer fees. Never used the Y.E.S.