• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best In-hull (shoot-thru) transducer

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I've been trying to decide which chartplotter/fish finder to install in my 2019 SX210.....From what I've found so far, there seems to be plus and minus to the various brands (garmin vs lowrance vs hummingbird) and it turns into a chevy vs ford comparison. Since I've decided that I am going to use an in-hull or shoot thru hull transducer, I'm wondering if the forum can be provide feedback on what the best transducer is for this mounting style and then I could select the brand/head unit from there. I'm looking at the 4" to 6" screen size.

It looks like a lot of people just mount the transom transducer that comes with the unit in the hull with epoxy. each manufacturer also specific in-hull transducer they sell seperatly as well. For those with in-hull transducer, any recommendations on a transducer that has worked well for them? anybody able to get down-imaging to work with an in-hull setup even though it's not recommended?

An example is the splitshot transducer from Lowrance is a transom mount unit but manufacturer says its OK to epoxy in-hull.....Lowrance also makes a Pod shoot-thru in hull transducer- any thoughts on which is better. Anybody use an airmar P79 type in-hull transducer that you silicon a small tank to the hull and then fill with anti-freeze?

seems like once you epoxy a transducer to the hull it will be tough to remove so it seems like an important decision.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just put a garmin 74cv in my 17 sx210.
Not trying to change your mind but the transducer was pretty easy to mount.
Had to drill 1 hole above water line and 3 screws in the transom for the transducer and 2 for the screws that go in the clam shell for the hole.
During installation I pulled the clean out try, this made it easy get to where I needed.
I also added more screws when I reinstalled it and also some better silicon...I know water was getting in here.
I could also see both sides of the hole and the back of the screws so I was able to apply 3m 5200 to both sides of any holes/ screw.
I mounted the unit on a 6" ram mount ram just to the right of the stereo...happy with how it all turned out.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was actually just looking at the garmin 74cv in the store today.....touch screen seems like the way to go but was wondering if it was too big. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the unit with the ram mount you could share? I'm curious how it fits next to radio.

My primary purpose is for chartplotting, secondary purpose is for sonar, so I'm not too concerned about a little loss of performance using In-hull transducer if it avoids making a few holes.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jamesk - I have that same Garmin but really haven’t figured out how to map out a route ahead of time before hitting the water. Active captain is not nearly as good as baboon is from what I was used to using. Do you find the maps to work well. Any tips?

@jamesk - do you have a pic of where the transducer sits? the Artic keel changes things

@jcb1977 - I am following. My used boat came with the Garmin chirp but owner never installed the transducer. I was thinking of doing thru hull so I didn’t have to drill but I think stern install is the best option for optimal imaging, etc

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, active captain is not that great. You have to create 2 waypoints and than select go to and then you need to manually add every turn.
Also don't like that you can't change the water color or the shallow water areas unless you spend $350 for a vision card.
The touch screen is really nice and the graphics are nice...navionics app is much better but I just can't see it in the outside light on a phone or tablet....phone too small and tablet not bright enough in the sunlight.
The way it mounts on this arm lets you keep it like the picture ( actually touches the dash and the windshield)....or raise it up above the dash....or slide it towards you so you can work on it.
The unit is ok, not great and not bad....verdict is still out for me.
I tried a simrad cruise, but returned it after I tried it out.
Happy with the size, had a 4" on last boat and that was way too small.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Airmar P79 does a great job on my Simrad GO7. Holds bottom at 40mph easily

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for those pics.......that’s the exact same dash as mine so gives me a sense of scale. The way you mounted looks like it works good

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The way it mounts on this arm lets you keep it like the picture ( actually touches the dash and the windshield)....or raise it up above the dash....or slide it towards you so you can work on it.
I have the same Garmin and the same mount/location. I wish I could still see the switches but I don't use them much so its not a big deal.

Navionics is a lot better than the active captain but my understanding is that Garmin bought navionics. I would hope navionics would make its way into this GPS. For now, I see it as mostly useful as a fish finder yet I don't have the transducer installed (from prior owner). I will probably install the transducer but after I look at other GPS devices

Thank you for the transducer mount picture. That is very helpful

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you able to spot fish ok with the airmar p79?
Yes and it covers great for that purpose... probably add for recreational fishing...not if your super serious

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, active captain is not that great. You have to create 2 waypoints and than select go to and then you need to manually add every turn.
Also don't like that you can't change the water color or the shallow water areas unless you spend $350 for a vision card.
The touch screen is really nice and the graphics are nice...navionics app is much better but I just can't see it in the outside light on a phone or tablet....phone too small and tablet not bright enough in the sunlight.

View attachment 107237View attachment 107238

@jamesk

How did you attach your ram mount to the garmin? Hard to tell but it looks like you did not use the gimbal mount?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 107237View attachment 107238
How does your transducer work there?