• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

275SD - Garmin ECHOMAP 9" UHD2 94sv with GT56 Transducer Install

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
*EDIT* This thread was originally titled 275SD - Garmin ECHOMAP 7" UHD2 74sv with GT54 Transducer Install but as you read through the threads you will see I ended up going with the 9" ECHOMAP UHD2 instead. You will be able to see the pictures of both the 7" and 9" units for comparison purposes if you are trying to decide which one to go with for the 275 helm area.

I'm working on a couple large projects for my '22 275SD over the next three weeks (Lectrotabs, Chartplotter, Battery Upgrade and Solar Charger). I thought I would do a quick write-up on the Garmin ECHOMAP 7" UHD2 74sv with GT54 Transducer install that I in the process of completing in case anyone is interested in adding one to their 275 or similar boat.

Here are the components that I purchased for this project:

1) Garmin ECHOMAP UHD2 74sv with GT54 Transducer (Navionics Coastal): $1049.99 Amazon.com

2) 1.5" ARM / RAM Marine Electronic Mount: $52.99 Amazon.com

3) RAM Mount Base (RAM-202U-152 1.5" X 2" Rectangle Base with 1.5" Ball): $22.99 Amazon.com

4) Garmin Heavy Duty Transom Mount with Spray Shield: $31.25 Amazon.com

5) Garmin 10' Extension Cable, 12-pin: $43.16 Amazon.com

6) Bus Bar Positive and Negative 4 x 5/16” Studs and 4 x #8 Screw Terminals Power Distribution Block: $17.99 Amazon.com

7) SeaChoice 17901 Thru-Hull Fitting: $12.34 Amazon.com

Last edited:

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I started with determining the position of the RAM mount. Originally I was going to use the cell phone holder on the right sider of the helm but I didn’t really want to lose this functionality.

I ended up finding some space on the rail on the starboard side of the helm where I could mount the RAM mount base and give me easy access to the screen and a good view without blocking any of the controls.

I removed the switch panel and throttle controls on the starboard side to give me easier access to running the wiring and also for bolting down the RAM mount base with nylon nuts instead of just using screws.

I picked up a nice RAM knock-off mount but I decided to order a rectangular RAM mount base that provided a better fit than the diamond shaped base that came with the knock-off mount.

I used masking tape to tape up the are prior to drilling the holes. I put the drill in reverse to score the tape and gelcoat before switching the drill to forward and drilling the holes. I used #8 x 1” Stainless Steel (316) pan head screws with washers on each side and nylok nuts.

I didn’t need to drill a hole in the dash for the power and transducer cables. There was a gap under the helm that was just big enough to to run the cables to the back side of the dash that is accessible from the small storage compartment behind the helm.

I did need a 10" Garmin Transducer Extension Cable. The stock transducer cable was not long enough to make it to the helm but the 10' extension gave me enough length. I was able to connect the two cables under the wet bar so that gives me an easy access point if I ever need to replace the transducer.

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

Last edited:

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Next I moved onto the transducer. After reading numerous threads and factoring in the available transom space after the Lectrotabs install and the stock under water lighting, I opted to mount the transducer to the starboard ride plate. This area is very close to the stock transducer and allows for an install without screwing into the transom (since I will putting a bunch of screws into the transom as it is when I do the trim tabs install!).

I decide to buy the Garmin Heavy Duty Transducer Mount instead of using the stock plastic mount that comes with the transducer. It is definitely more stout than the plastic mount and should hold up much better over time.

I drilled through the flat side if the starboard side ride plate and used three #8 x 3/4" stainless steel (316) pan head screws with washers and nylok nuts (and Lock-Tite) to mount the transducer to the ride plate. I could only use 3 of the 4 holes in the mount since they were the only ones on the flat side of the ride plate......... but between the nylok nuts and Lock-Tite I'm not too worried. The transducer is very secure on the ride plate.

I then used some heavy duty rubber / stainless cable clamps to secure the cable to the starboard jet using existing bolts (and Lock-Tite reapplied to the two bolts that I removed to install the cable clamps).

I also opted for the SeaChoice 17901 Thru-Hull Cable Fitting for getting the transducer cable into the boat instead if the fitting provided by Garmin or using a CableClam. I saw Julian had used this fitting on his transducer installation and he said it has held up well after three years. I like this fitting because it only requires a single 3/4" hole and no additional screws as it is a threaded fitting. It also comes in black so it is blends in perfectly with the transom and looks like a stock fitting that is hardly noticeable. Plus this fitting provides for minimal surface area where there could be any water intrusion once it has been sealed.

After removing the starboard inspection port I saw there was ample room under the swim platform to cut the hole, pull the transducer cabIe through the hull and then secure and seal the threaded fitting.

I opted to use a hole saw to cut the 3/4" hole under the swim platform just above and to the right of the starboard jet. There was enough room to fit the drill and hole saw next to the nozzle under the swim platform to cut the hole. But I did make a small mistake cutting the hole. While I knew there was a transition in the fiberglass on the bottom of the swim platform I was using the keel to support the drill so I could keep it straight while the hole saw was cutting. I neglected to note the transition in the bottom of the swim platform was close enough that it would not allow the SeaChoice fitting to seat flush against the bottom of the swim platform. If I would have moved the drill 1/2" more towards the stern, it would have given me plenty of room for the SeaChoice fitting to sit flush.

While I was a little bummed after measuring the top and bottom about 10 times before cutting the hole, I didn't let that stop me. I used my bench grinder to grind the SeaChoice fitting flat on one side so it would fit flush against the transition and the bottom of the swim platform.

It turned out better than I expected. I'll be sealing the water-side portion of the fitting and cable entry with 3M 4200 Black since this part of the fitting will be under water ocassionally. I will also add 3M Marine Sealant to the threaded side inside the swim platform since this side won't be exposed to water and it make it easier to remove in the future if I need to replace the transducer. The picture below shows the threaded side of the fitting with a large plastic nut. The 3M Marine Sealant will be spread around the threads at the fiberglass before tighenting the nut.

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.11.34 PM.png

IMG_3088.JPG

Last edited:

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Tomorrow I will be working on the power... which should be pretty easy. There are 6AWG cables under the helm that provide 12V to the stock sound system. The chartplotter and Lectrotabs don't need much current under normal operation so I will be using some 10AWG wires off the terminals securing the 6AWG cables in the sound system to a separate busbar to provide power to the chartplotter and Lectrotabs. The chartplotter power cable has it's own built-in fuse and I will add a fuse with 14AWG wire for the Lectrotabs off the busbar as well.

I'll post those pictures once I get that done tomorrow.

So far..... I'm happy with the way the install has gone.... other than wishing I would have cut the hole in the bottom of the swim platform a 1/2' more towards the stern. But the 7" Garmin screen seems to be a perfect size to be easily viewed and accessed without it being in the way of any of the controls at the helm.... including the Lectrotab controller when I install it (I'll post that install in another thread). I think I could probably fit the 9" ECHOMAP UHD2 in the same space..... if I wanted to spend another $250 for it.... but I think I will stick with the 7".

I will say the knock-off RAM mount I got on Amazon is very stout! It seems to be a very quality item for half the cost of a RAM mount. It should be very solid in choppy water.

Last edited:

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Appreciate you documenting and sharing this!

I'm looking at the 943 GPSMAP for my 222SD, mainly due to the IPS screen (readable with polarized sunglasses) and processing speeds. I did play with the ECHOMAP UHD2 9" at Bass Pro and it looked great and seemed to respond pretty fast so I'm still undecided. I do like the cradle on the UHD2 series.

Why are you installing the transducer? Do you plan on fishing, want to see the bottom for obstacles and/or just because? I'm just wondering because I plan on only using mine for navigation so wasn't sure if I would install a transducer.

Last edited:

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Appreciate you documenting and sharing this!

I'm looking at the 943 GPSMAP for my 222SD, mainly due to the IPS screen (readable with polarized sunglasses) and processing speeds. I did play with the ECHOMAP UHD2 9" at Bass Pro and it looked great and seemed to respond pretty fast so I'm still undecided. I do like the cradle on the UHD2 series.

Why are you installing the transducer? Do you plan on fishing, want to see the bottom for obstacles and/or just because? I'm just wondering because I plan on only using mine for navigation so wasn't sure if I would install a transducer.
I boat in southwest Florida in the Gulf and Intercoastal areas. I was looking at the GPSMAP series but it was more expensive and seemed like overkill since I didn't think I would ever be installing radar and need any of the other advanced features and I don't plan to go very far offshore.

The ECOMAP UHD2 has a bright screen and good viewing angles in the sun based on the reviews. I typically wear sunglass readers vs. polarized so I thought the screen should meet my needs.

I do like the quick disconnect mount of the UHD2. I'm rack storing my boat so I like that I can pop it off in 5 seconds and take it with me. Then I don't have to worry about locking it up as well as not letting it bake in the heat when I'm not using the boat.

I primarily wanted it as a chartplotter since the Connex is a bit lacking in that department. At first I didn't think I would bother with a transducer. When I started looking at systems I saw that Garmin is only charging you $100 for a $370 transducer when buying it as part of complete kit. If I could have got the UHD2 for $350 less without the transducer, I would have bought it and not bothered with the transducer.

As I thought more about it I knew I would be installing trim tabs and drilling more holes in the transom so I started to think adding the transducer wouldn't be a big deal and it would add some better functionality. I also thought about how Hurricane Ian put a lot of debris in the water last year and even changed some of the channels moving sand bars around so having a better view of the bottom and what's around the boat wouldn't be a bad thing.

Lastly.... I'm not a fisherman but now that I'm retired you never know if I decide to start dropping a line in the water someday!

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
I boat in southwest Florida in the Gulf and Intercoastal areas. I was looking at the GPSMAP series but it was more expensive and seemed like overkill since I didn't think I would ever be installing radar and need any of the other advanced features and I don't plan to go very far offshore.

The ECOMAP UHD2 has a bright screen and good viewing angles in the sun based on the reviews. I typically wear sunglass readers vs. polarized so I thought the screen should meet my needs.

I do like the quick disconnect mount of the UHD2. I'm rack storing my boat so I like that I can pop it off in 5 seconds and take it with me. Then I don't have to worry about locking it up as well as not letting it bake in the heat when I'm not using the boat.

I primarily wanted it as a chartplotter since the Connex is a bit lacking in that department. At first I didn't think I would bother with a transducer. When I started looking at systems I saw that Garmin is only charging you $100 for a $370 transducer when buying it as part of complete kit. If I could have got the UHD2 for $350 less without the transducer, I would have bought it and not bothered with the transducer.

As I thought more about it I knew I would be installing trim tabs and drilling more holes in the transom so I started to think adding the transducer wouldn't be a big deal and it would add some better functionality. I also thought about how Hurricane Ian put a lot of debris in the water last year and even changed some of the channels moving sand bars around so having a better view of the bottom and what's around the boat wouldn't be a bad thing.

Lastly.... I'm not a fisherman but now that I'm retired you never know if I decide to start dropping a line in the water someday!
I'll have to take my sunglasses into Bass Pro next time I go and see how the screen looks, I wear prescription polarized sunglasses. I like the security of taking it with me as you mentioned, and not having it bake in the heat when my boat is covered. I also like the hard buttons + and - when zooming the screen while underway. I wish Yamaha Jet Boats were compatible with the NEMA 2000 protocol so we could get the engine data on the screen just for the sake of having it.

I may end up installing a transducer too for all the reasons you mentioned.

I lived in Coral Springs Florida for eight years, always wanting to move back and that time is nearing if these damn hurricanes don't price me out of insuring a house. I lived there during hurricane Andrew, it was headed directly for our location, then turned and hit Homestead. Still have several great friends tin the sunshine state.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I'll have to take my sunglasses into Bass Pro next time I go and see how the screen looks, I wear prescription polarized sunglasses. I like the security of taking it with me as you mentioned, and not having it bake in the heat when my boat is covered. I also like the hard buttons + and - when zooming the screen while underway. I wish Yamaha Jet Boats were compatible with the NEMA 2000 protocol so we could get the engine data on the screen just for the sake of having it.

I may end up installing a transducer too for all the reasons you mentioned.

I lived in Coral Springs Florida for eight years, always wanting to move back and that time is nearing if these damn hurricanes don't price me out of insuring a house. I lived there during hurricane Andrew, it was headed directly for our location, then turned and hit Homestead. Still have several great friends tin the sunshine state.
I don't have a Bass Pro / Cabellas close by right now so I have not been able to look at them in person so I'm going off reviews. Although I just had an epiphany and may switch gears and jump to the 9" ECHOMAP UHD2.

I just remembered my step-son is part owner of an online fishing supply company and he can get some good pricing. I just checked their website and they don't have a lot of electronics but they happen to list the ECHOMAP UD2 on their website for the same prices as Amazon. I just sent him a text to see what price he could get me for the 7" and 9". If he can get it for 20 - 30% less, I will send back the one I got from Amazon.... and possibly even jump up to the 9" if the price is right... and I have enough room so as not to crowd the helm.

The only downside switching to the 9" is that it has a better transducer so I would have to pull out the one I just installed to ship back to Amazon with the 7". Fortunately the transducer cable is not sealed yet so it wouldn't be that bad to remove it and swap transducers.

But at the very least I still go with the 7" and maybe get it from him and save a few bucks!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For anyone looking for a deal, Hodges marine has the 943 with older maps for cheap Garmin Gpsmap 943xsv Combo Gps/Fishfinder - Preloaded Us+Canada+Bahamas Bluechart G3 - LakevÜ G3

I bought a few months ago and they had 700 in stock looks like 34 left now. I am working on a way to tie the factory transducer to this.
Adrian, does that model have HDMI out? The two biggest features us ice guys love about the GPSMap line over the EchoMap is HDMI out so that we can see the screen on large LED TV's in a fish house. Or the ability to use the "helm" option in Active Captain, so mirror the display to a mobile device for recording, or displaying to larger screens.

It's all about seeing LiveScope in the fish house.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Adrian, does that model have HDMI out? The two biggest features us ice guys love about the GPSMap line over the EchoMap is HDMI out so that we can see the screen on large LED TV's in a fish house. Or the ability to use the "helm" option in Active Captain, so mirror the display to a mobile device for recording, or displaying to larger screens.

It's all about seeing LiveScope in the fish house.
No you have to go up to the 12" for HDMI out - or to the 8600s. Not sure on the ActiveCaptain... I know it has it but not sure on mirroring.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have my transducers mounted in a similar location and have noticed that the wash from reverse thrust tends to push the back of the transducer down. I think I finally got the 2 bolts tight enough to prevent rotation.
Pics of my installation are post 46 on this thread:
Thanks for the link!

I thought about putting it that far back but I was a little worried about the Side Scan without it tucked up there. I hadn't seen anyone else complaining about the reverse wash pushing the transducer down but it is good to know.

I can flip the bracket around and that would move the transducer back a couple inches or I could drill new holes.

Since you are using two transducers, I guess the Side Scan isn't an issue with it tucked back that far.

How is your overall performance with it?

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I'm going to switch gears and send back the ECHOMAP UHD2 74sv with GT54 Transducer and go with the ECHOMAP UHD2 94sv with GT56 Transducer. Turns out my stepson can get it for $375 off MSRP..... that makes the 9" $75 cheaper than what I paid for the 7" at Amazon. He could have gotten me the 7" for $260 off MSRP but after using the 7" as a template the extra size of the 9" should not be too bad in the helm when I mounted it. I figure go BIG or go home! LOL

Besides the extra screen size, the resolution jumps to 1024 x 600 instead of 800 x 480 so my old eyes will appreciate the extra size and resolution. On top of that I'll have the better GT56 Transducer so it's hard to pass up the deal on the 9" unit.

So fortunately I haven't sealed up the transducer cable so I will be removing it and boxing everything up to send to send back to Amazon.

I'll be working on setting up the power while I wait for the the 9" to come in. Garmin has it in stock so I should have it in a couple days. I'll post more pictures once I reinstall the transducer and setup the power.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
I'm going to switch gears and send back the ECHOMAP UHD2 74sv with GT54 Transducer and go with the ECHOMAP UHD2 94sv with GT56 Transducer. Turns out my stepson can get it for $375 off MSRP..... that makes the 9" $75 cheaper than what I paid for the 7" at Amazon. He could have gotten me the 7" for $260 off MSRP but after using the 7" as a template the extra size of the 9" should not be too bad in the helm when I mounted it. I figure go BIG or go home! LOL

Besides the extra screen size, the resolution jumps to 1024 x 600 instead of 800 x 480 so my old eyes will appreciate the extra size and resolution. On top of that I'll have the better GT56 Transducer so it's hard to pass up the deal on the 9" unit.

So fortunately I haven't sealed up the transducer cable so I will be removing it and boxing everything up to send to send back to Amazon.

I'll be working on setting up the power while I wait for the the 9" to come in. Garmin has it in stock so I should have it in a couple days. I'll post more pictures once I reinstall the transducer and setup the power.
You will love the 9" screen, the resolution and brightness is great and the extra real estate will make a big difference! Great price!

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
You will love the 9" screen, the resolution and brightness is great and the extra real estate will make a big difference! Great price!
Thanks for the feedback! Based on the savings I felt it was worth jumping to the 9" unit. Glad you can confirm the resolution and extra real estate is worth it.

I've already done all the hard work..... setting up the RAM mount..... transducer mount..... and cutting the hole to run the transducer cable. I have a good system now for running the wiring to the helm as well so it will take less than an hour to get the 9" unit and transducer installed.

The GT56 has an extra 5' of cable so I may not end up needing the 10' extension so I may be able to ship that back as well. I was probably about 5' short with the GT54.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the link!

I thought about putting it that far back but I was a little worried about the Side Scan without it tucked up there. I hadn't seen anyone else complaining about the reverse wash pushing the transducer down but it is good to know.

I can flip the bracket around and that would move the transducer back a couple inches or I could drill new holes.

Since you are using two transducers, I guess the Side Scan isn't an issue with it tucked back that far.

How is your overall performance with it?
Performance is pretty good.
This pic shows the pilings for the docks and also along the seawalls. While traveling at 5mph.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
My stepson dropped off the ECHOMAP UHD2 94sv on his way home from work last night. I'm glad I checked with him about getting a deal and then using the cost savings to move up to the 9" unit.

I'm glad I didn't go any bigger because anything larger would have made the helm a bit too crowded but the 9" seems like it is going to be a really good size for the 275. One thing I did notice as I was adjusting the position is I can rest the cradle on the side rail padding and that should help minimize any bouncing of the unit.

I'm planning on installing the GT56 transducer today and then sealing up the cable once I do a power on test to make sure it is communicating with the head unit. I'll post pics of the final transducer install and also my setup for the power once I'm completed.

Here's some pictures of the 9" screen mounted...

IMG_3118.JPG
IMG_3119.JPG
IMG_3120.JPG

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
*EDIT* This thread was originally titled 275SD - Garmin ECHOMAP 7" UHD2 74sv with GT54 Transducer Install but as you read through the threads you will see I ended up going with the 9" ECHOMAP UHD2 instead. You will be able to see the pictures of both the 7" and 9" units for comparison purposes if you are trying to decide which one to go with for the 275 helm area.

I'm working on a couple large projects for my '22 275SD over the next three weeks (Lectrotabs, Chartplotter, Battery Upgrade and Solar Charger). I thought I would do a quick write-up on the Garmin ECHOMAP 7" UHD2 74sv with GT54 Transducer install that I in the process of completing in case anyone is interested in adding one to their 275 or similar boat.

Here are the components that I purchased for this project:

1) Garmin ECHOMAP UHD2 74sv with GT54 Transducer (Navionics Coastal): $1049.99 Amazon.com

2) 1.5" ARM / RAM Marine Electronic Mount: $52.99 Amazon.com

3) RAM Mount Base (RAM-202U-152 1.5" X 2" Rectangle Base with 1.5" Ball): $22.99 Amazon.com

4) Garmin Heavy Duty Transom Mount with Spray Shield: $31.25 Amazon.com

5) Garmin 10' Extension Cable, 12-pin: $43.16 Amazon.com

6) Bus Bar Positive and Negative 4 x 5/16” Studs and 4 x #8 Screw Terminals Power Distribution Block: $17.99 Amazon.com

7) SeaChoice 17901 Thru-Hull Fitting: $12.34 Amazon.com
looking at your post I see you have my super steering on the boat , How is that working out for you if you don't mind me asking ?

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
looking at your post I see you have my super steering on the boat , How is that working out for you if you don't mind me asking ?
I’ll tell you in about 3 weeks…. I worked with you on selecting the system a year ago and installed it then but…..

I bought the boat just before Ian hit last year. Our marina got hammered so I never got the boat in the water.

I was in Alaska all summer on an RV trip and just got back two weeks ago. Our marina is still not fully opened so I just signed up for rack storage at MarineMax in Ft Myers.

I’m installing the chartplotter, Lectrotabs and solar now before I get it to the rack and in the water around October 2.