• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best wake surf settings?

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just started playing with the ballast settings on my 242X. What are your favorite settings for wake surfing and wake boarding? Thanks for the input

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an AR240with WakeMakers custom ballast setup so no first hand experience with the factory X ballast, but I would guess - for surfing - use all you got from factory plus about 1,000lbs on the surf side swim deck/rear seat - should give you a nice pocket to go ropeless.

@jcyamaharider, what say you?

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't use ballast when I wakeboard, but for surfing I did a test of our new custom transom ballast bag and ended the day with that custom bag full (870) port bag 110%, locker bag 25%, starboard bag 50%. Of course using a Wake Wedge.

20180428_155359_1525007052350.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You see, @jethrof16, how this works?
You get great advice on this forum AND we are really good over here at spending your money, lol :cool:

--

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't use ballast when I wakeboard, but for surfing I did a test of our new custom transom ballast bag and ended the day with that custom bag full (870) port bag 110%, locker bag 25%, starboard bag 50%. Of course using a Wake Wedge.

View attachment 73155
Great info, but I want the best wave without adding a bag to the transom. I'm not against putting some lead inside the boat though if it's worth it.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You see, @jethrof16, how this works?
You get great advice on this forum AND we are really good over here at spending your money, lol :cool:

--
LOL, NO DOUBT ;). Wanting to get the best setup with stock bags before I even consider (but unlikely) I will add a transom bag (ugly and we really like that space).

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
LOL, NO DOUBT ;). Wanting to get the best setup with stock bags before I even consider (but unlikely) I will add a transom bag (ugly and we really like that space).
Your boat is too big for the minor 1600 Lbs of ballast.( if it was placed properly it would be ok but not in the factory locations) If you want a good surf wave you are going to have to add ballast somewhere. I have lead bags also but prefer ballast that I can ditch over the side when need be.

Coloradogirl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is there a way to add additional ballast to the bags? They aren’t 100% full when they say they are- there has to be a work about to get more???
Thanks