• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best way to seal/protect hull to minimize buildup of muck?

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat wet slips for most of the summer in the James River in central VA. This is technically fresh water but we do venture close to the brackish/fresh line some times. I don't think the brackish is really my issue, more of the crappy water conditions at the marina location....but that is just background information for the questions. My hull was so nasty after my first season at the slip it took a professional boat cleaner (up at Lake Anna) three passes with the acid bath to get it clean and cost me what many folks pay for a mortgage payment.

The buildup was a light brown scum, very stubborn. No living creatures.

So what I've learned is:

a.) I will take the boat out and scrub the hull down several times through the season this year.; and

b.) If there are any good suggestions, is there a preventative coating that really works well on a hull to help out with the buildup and make the intra-season cleaning easier? I have read here through all my "how to clean your boat" research that wax is useless on the hull for it's gone in short order.

Any input would be appreciated!

I’ve read many times on this forum that Rejex works well. I’ve not used it yet although I plan too.

Hopefully somebody who’s used it will comment. Or you can search for Rejex and see what pops.

I would think Ceramic would be best, also the most expensive.

I would think Ceramic would be best, also the most expensive.

Yeah she just got back from maintenance, upgrades, and an $800 cleaning/detailing bill. Not looking for a job like ceramic. Just something I am well aware is not perfect, but will likely help a bit and worth my time applying it before putting back in the water.

Sounds like you need a lift.

Sounds like you need a lift.

If only the marina would allow it...

I'm in a "necessary evil" situation. I can not/will not trailer a boat in and out I would use the boat much less and that upsets the fun/not fun ratio I'm looking for. . The boat is there waiting for me, there are restaurants/bars in the marina area, dock and dine places - a lot of spontaneous decisions to just "go boating!" with friends and family...With that convenience, in my particular situation, comes a price: Dealing with the river muck on the hull because the marina does not have lifts.

My slip neighbor said he asked about optional easily installed lift systems (forget the details) with no luck. The Marina is part of a larger 'lifestyle' private development so it's just bonus for the residents and they lease slips to the public also (I don't reside there). Beyond floating fingers, power/water and a fuel dock, there is nothing else. You can not put in/out, no parking for trailers, etc....I can see the lift conversation going nowhere.

I grew up on a dark, murky river so I’m familiar with the stains. It is what it is. Your options are pull the boat out to clean periodically, dry dock (if possible), tow the boat or find a different lake that allows for a lift if you are set on keeping it on the lake. I suppose to could try anti fouling paint but that is generally for organisms trying to attach to the hull more so that skum/stain lines.

Last edited:
Back