• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bildge pumps and plugs

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I filled my boat with water to test it the new bildge pump i installed and learned a few things.
The stock pump location is actually pretty good. with the boat level it would pull more water than the very back part. I moved my new pump to the low spot by the drain. And it will get another 5+ gallons compared to the stock pump.
20180526_122408.jpg
I had it in the back originally so i could replace it with the muffler in, but i gave up on that and will hope it doesn't break for many years.

20180526_120830.jpg
20180526_120809.jpg

When the boat is level there is a ton of water in it before the pump will trigger. I used to think leaving the plugs out was a good idea, but now I'm leaving all of them in. This will force more water it the back to the two pumps.

My float switch is not in a great location, but it should trigger when i accelerate and the water slushes to the back.

MontereyJake

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got a 2008 sx230. I notice water in the ski locker pretty much every time I go out. The boat sits on a hoist when not in use, so I know it isn't a leak. When I remove the drain plug the water doesn't go out until I'm underway. Is this normal?
Secondly, the drain plug does not screw in very far. Normal, or stripped threads?

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't know if it's normal but my 2007 does not screw in far neither

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its prob rain.. You would think the lid would keep water out of these things but noooo. I would just leave the drain out so it will work its way to the back of the boat and get pumped over board.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@MontereyJake Here is my experience and my solutions to the water issues in the bilge. I don't like water down there either. A couple of tips...keep your boat covered when not in use and keep your boat's deck pitched to aft so water will drain to scupper and not get past the ski locker gasket.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/water-in-ski-locker-drain.11968/

And

https://jetboaters.net/threads/rain-water-pools-at-front-of-bow-floor-while-on-the-water.14264/#post-246353

As far as the tapered brass drain plug, mine screws in til just about a 1/16" from flush.