• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge pump issue 2016 sx 240

Gmac42113

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello everyone have a 2016 sx 240 jet boat and I am having problems with my bilge pump. My old pump stopped working and I got a factory replacement pump with oem connector.

I plug in the pump, turn on the bilge switch, and the bilge prop just flutters/spins every 10 seconds with very low turning speed. I submerged the pump in a bucket of water and nothing happens. I directly put the bilge to the battery and it works. I tested the oem connector coming out of the boat with a multimeter and am getting 12.1v.

This seems very weird to me.

Has anyone had this issue?

Is there a fuse for bilge that could be causing this issue? If so why is it reading 12.1v at the connection.

Using a rule 500gph pump

These are water sensing pumps, they cycle on/off, looking for/sensing water. They are not activated by an external float switch. So it may have been looking for water, did not find any, cycled and shut down.

12.1vdc is about 50% state of charge. Should be fine as long as any load does not drop the voltage too low.

Last edited:
These are water sensing pumps, they cycle on/off, looking for/sensing water. They are not activated by an external float switch. So it may have been looking for water, did not find any, cycled and shut down.

12.1vdc is about 50% state of charge. Should be fine as long as any load does not drop the voltage too low.

Hello thanks for getting back to me!
I'm aware that they are water sensing but if I submerge the pump into a bucket of water it should turn on right?

When I connected it directly to a battery source and placed it in the bucket of water the punp kicked on. Seems so bizzare

Not sure exactly, but there is a 2.5 minute cycle mode that it can revert to. It could take a few minutes if it cycles on time.

20220425_092357.jpg

Hello thanks for getting back to me!
I'm aware that they are water sensing but if I submerge the pump into a bucket of water it should turn on right?

When I connected it directly to a battery source and placed it in the bucket of water the punp kicked on. Seems so bizzare
Hey there, did you ever solve the issue with the bilge pump? I’m having a similar issue with a replacement.

Hey there, did you ever solve the issue with the bilge pump? I’m having a similar issue with a replacement.

Hello,
So I ordered my pump from partzilla and it comes with the quick connect pre completed harness. I ended up bringing it to a marina and the pump was wired WRONG from the factory!
I contacted partzilla after fixing this problem and they said they would look into it.
I don't have the pump in front of me to tell you the exact wire colors at the moment but there are three wire two long that go into the connector and one short that is capped off.
If I recall the brown/white wire is capped off. This needs to be attached to the brown wire coming out of the harness. So you need a little jumper from brown/white to brown coming out of harness. Then you take the brown wire and run it to the battery directly with a inline 5 ampfuse( i think this is the auto wire). AGAIN DONT QUOTE ME ON THR COLORS BECAUE I DONT HAVE PUMP IN FRONT OF ME. i can try to verify tomorrow when on the boat.

So now your bilge will run directly off battery and cycle every 2.5 minutes like it's supposed to and when you turn on bilge switch it will turn on and function properly.
Regardless of your batteries on or off your bilge will cycle every 2.5 minutes .
This was a disaster for me to figure out and terrible on the pump manufactures end that it does not work out of the box. I'm not sure why.
I will check tomorrow on the boat get you some more information.

After making this fix I've had no issues with the pump! Cycles every time and hasn't let us down!

Hello,
So I ordered my pump from partzilla and it comes with the quick connect pre completed harness. I ended up bringing it to a marina and the pump was wired WRONG from the factory!
I contacted partzilla after fixing this problem and they said they would look into it.
I don't have the pump in front of me to tell you the exact wire colors at the moment but there are three wire two long that go into the connector and one short that is capped off.
If I recall the brown/white wire is capped off. This needs to be attached to the brown wire coming out of the harness. So you need a little jumper from brown/white to brown coming out of harness. Then you take the brown wire and run it to the battery directly with a inline 5 ampfuse( i think this is the auto wire). AGAIN DONT QUOTE ME ON THR COLORS BECAUE I DONT HAVE PUMP IN FRONT OF ME. i can try to verify tomorrow when on the boat.

So now your bilge will run directly off battery and cycle every 2.5 minutes like it's supposed to and when you turn on bilge switch it will turn on and function properly.
Regardless of your batteries on or off your bilge will cycle every 2.5 minutes .
This was a disaster for me to figure out and terrible on the pump manufactures end that it does not work out of the box. I'm not sure why.
I will check tomorrow on the boat get you some more information.

After making this fix I've had no issues with the pump! Cycles every time and hasn't let us down!
Thanks so much for the response! I’ll give this a try. Much appreciated!

Thanks again @Gmac42113. I was able to re-wire the new pump (F1C-U8360-11-00). I switched the brown/white (manual) wire into the brown wire that runs into the factory plug. I think this plus capping the brown would’ve made the new pump operate like the original - only functioning with the House battery on. So, like you I decided to run the brown (auto) wire to the battery terminal and now it cycles whether the house battery is on or off.

18707F63-FE0B-4F78-9C48-B5D8CCB851F4.jpeg

Back