• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Pump Redundancy?

What describes you?

• I only need the factory bilge pump.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I added the bilge pump for peace of mind.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I wish that I had installed that bilge pump before...

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought an AR192 that I will be trailering. I'm debating whether I should install an extra automatic bilge pump with float switch. What has everyone else decided? I tend to worry a lot so i'm leaning towards installing a Rule 27SA (1100GPH) in the back by the exhaust muffler. I also want to seal the cover better because I noticed that they didn't put much sealant there. Did you drill a hole and install a bilge outlet?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It can't hurt, but I have never found it necessary, and I forgot to put the drain plugs in one time. Luckily I remembered soon after launching and was able to jump out and get the plugs back in. The factory pump was enough to bail out the water that came in. If you were to wet slip your boat I definitely would install a redundant pump. If I did add a pump I would also add another drain port to handle the capacity of both pumps.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would tell you to install a secondary bilge at a slightly higher location with an alarm.

My bilge will run occasionally if we are surfing/tubing. Many times I don't notice it even running. An alarm will give you that "emergency" notice that something needs attention where you may not hear the water going through the outlet, especially if you're underway and focused on what's ahead of you,

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bilge alarm is the best thing to add . You could have an issue and not be aware that the bilge pump is flowing and most of the things that can pop will overwhelm the bilge pump or pumps . Broken scupper jammed cleanout plug broken cooling line all of these flow a massive amount of water

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I haven't yet, but definitely will do it. My factory location is in the engine bay. If the water is that high by that point in time I'm screwed. So plan to add another further down in the bilge in between the exhaust.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I really like that bilge alarm idea. I think I will be doing that upgrade very soon. That seems like it should be one of those government mandates that I usually hate.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Okay so I will only put an alarm. Is there a preferred brand? Maybe I can use a float switch that activates the horn.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would actually tell you for the money it's cheap insurance to have a quality second bilge. I'm not sure what type your stock model is but it's been said my '07 model is not really adequate for emergency pumping.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a bilge pump plug up and fail on the water a long time ago. I could tell something was amiss, figured out what it was and got the boat back on the trailer before any damage was done. An alarm does not help much if the bilge pump burns out as you still have to get the water out. I added a second pump (float switch) with dedicated exit line and direct to battery wiring (inline fuse). I check that both pumps operate and pump out water at The start of the season and monthly there after.

Quick tip. If you have a balast system the ballast pumps can double as emergency bilge pumps.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe the cost effective design is to add a non-automatic bilge pump with a separate float switch. Then I can wire that float switch to both the 2nd bilge pump and boat's horn.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a bilge pump plug up and fail on the water a long time ago. I could tell something was amiss, figured out what it was and got the boat back on the trailer before any damage was done. An alarm does not help much if the bilge pump burns out as you still have to get the water out. I added a second pump (float switch) with dedicated exit line and direct to battery wiring (inline fuse). I check that both pumps operate and pump out water at The start of the season and monthly there after.

Quick tip. If you have a balast system the ballast pumps can double as emergency bilge pumps.
This is my plan. Directly hardwire it to the second battery with a float switch. It'll turn on if need be and if it runs forever will kill the house battery and not the start battery.