• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you guys planning for this weekend?

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You may want to talk to Chief I simply Voluneered his area. If everyone is up to it I'm in!!!!!

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had a great finale party with everyone at the pool tonight. I hope you all have a smooth and uneventful crossing tomorrow.

@tim2808, I gave away the rest of my stock of flags so count me in for 20 more. We missed having you on the trip.

@justason, I gave away the rest of my koozies but I know you have more on order. I will be excited to see you again for Bimini 2016.

@Julian, the wives ganged up on me and want a JetBoater's wives forum to discuss their mutual suffering. Would you like to set it up or should I?

@kthrash, very sorry to hear about your boat but considering how much salt water was in there I agree that totaling is best. We enjoyed the time we spent together on the drive. Maybe we can meet up on Lake Ouachita or the Gulf sometime. We are going to stop by Biloxi for shrimp on the way home and could easily be talked into a trip out to Ship Island if you are back in the saddle by then.

@David Hoff, sorry about your boat and that I did not get to know you on the trip. I am glad that you have her running again.
Will do @Bruce but I think I'm glad I sat this one out. Glad everyone is ok and WOW!

Last edited:

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got home Saturdsy and had to leave Sunday for Dallas. I'll be here all week and then leave for Baltimore on Monday.

Sorry, really hope we can get together when I get back

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@tim2808 are you looking to go for next year?

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tim2808 are you looking to go for next year?
We really enjoyed the trip last year and was bummed we couldn't make it this year. Next year is a good possibility and we would be bringing our kids (9,12,14). So we will see how the year plays out. I vote for a June crossing lol!!! We had absolutely perfect weather and water and still got beat up pretty good around Port Everglades. So I can't imagine hearing the stories on this trip. Guess that can happen anytime though.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Seas can come up in an instant at times. I am glad all were safe and the facts of what really happened are surfacing, most of all to the ones who had trouble that it has not ruined their view of boating or the idea of the trip. I think careful plans need to be made and preparations like the addition of a second bilge pump etc. things for safety that can really be implemented on all waters for that matter. I am adding a 3500 GPH pump to mine wired to the dash switch and the factory pump will be wired to be on with the battery disconnect so it is on all the time power is on. I am also going to add a high water alarm in the engine room, just a simple connectivity switch and alarm speaker that are powered all the time. I am having a camper canvas made which will include a new bimini as the factory one leaks like a sieve... as I found out over the past rainy weekend camping trip. All I need are dates so I can book my room but I am going come hell or high water! :)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since hindsight is 20/20, here is a strong recommendation for future Bimini goers....... Get the bow cover canvas that snaps in. This cover will shed 99% of water that is taken over the bow. The addition of the bow cover will gain you seaworthiness 100 times over an open bow.

jasoraso

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since hindsight is 20/20, here is a strong recommendation for future Bimini goers....... Get the bow cover canvas that snaps in. This cover will shed 99% of water that is taken over the bow. The addition of the bow cover will gain you seaworthiness 100 times over an open bow.
I make a habit of keeping the bow cover in the front compartment whenever I go boating. Several times I've pulled it out when a thunderstorm comes over the mountain - the kids will duck under it to stay dry, and it definitely keeps water out of the boat from waves.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the words of Arnold: "I'll Be Back!" next year.

When all is through with my insurance, ill share my experience, rights and wrongs, and what I would change.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 25376 View attachment 25376
Your comments about everything are spot on. Our story started with taking a few good waves as we were heading out. Nothing deeply concerning at first, but large enough that the kids where overwhelmed. We then hit some seaweed that clogged the port engine. The boat started to come off plane just as a big wave come over the bow. Once that happened, the boat filled (slightly above our ankles at first). Both engines were still running, but, with a heavy cooler in the front, the entire boat pitched forward and the bow porpoised. I put the engines in reverse to try and get the bow out of the water. I then walked up front to release the heavy cooler, but the nylon straps had tangled under the cooler and I couldn't release them. As I was going for a knife to cut it free, both engines died. There were a few other boats nearby and they helped call the coast guard. We started to bailing, and both bilge pumps were pouring out water.

The Coast Guard arrived very quickly, and after several tries, they were able to get close enough to get everyone off the boat. We called BoatUS (since I'd signed up for a towing policy), and they arrived shortly there after. They said we'd have to wait until boat was pumped out before towing. At the time, I didn't fully understand why, but now I do. If you've ever been hit by a really large wave, you'll understand how much force/damage it can do. Towing a boat full of water slams everything around, as I later found out.

Things I'd do different:
1. I'd packed the cooler up front to try and smooth out the ride; as other people have echoed this is fine for a small chop; this was not a small chop. I should have quickly moved it to the back of the boat when the waves kicked up.
2. We had several extra tanks of gas, based on hearing that there was a run on gas after arrival last year. Unfortunately, I'd lashed the gas cans down to the swim deck (it seemed like the safest place for fuel) in a way that I couldn't easily open up the hatch to access the cleanout ports. Especially in the midst of chaos.
3. After the water got in the boat, everything that wasn't tied down got in the way. I'd make sure that everything is stored completely out of the way before taking off.
4. If you put all of the expensive electronics in a drybag, make sure it secured in place where it can't snag on any stray bolts or sharp edges. It was floating in the boat when we evacuated in to the Coast Guard boat. When I started to clean out the boat, I picked it up and water drained out the hole that had been torn in it. Between camera, iPads, laptops, cell phones, kindles, let's just say that was bitter pill. Or a really, really, really expensive pill.
5. Don't take the fancy camera out of Pelican case just because a F1.2 lens will be able to get a good shot at 6 AM lighting level. Stick with the waterproof GoPro.
6. Arrive a little earlier so that you have extra time to review where everything is packed on the boat and how it's anchored down.

Things that I'd do again:
1. Buy BoatUS towing insurance. I think it was a little over $100, but totally worth it. I never thought we'd use it, but very worth the money. Everything was completely covered.
2. Keep *all* camera gear in a Pelican case. Everything *in* the case survived. Even after floating outside the boat and getting beaten by the waves. It saved several Canon L-series lens.
3. Have a backup, floating, waterproof VHF radio with floatie. I was running around the boat, and it was really helpful to have it. I'd likely upgrade to something that has DSC for the next trip, as it was hard to get coordinates as we were taking on water.
4. Install extra high-capacity bilge pump hard-wired to extra large (AGM sealed) battery. Even with all electronics totally submerged, the pump was able to completely empty the boat in about 45 minutes. We watched the whole time as it just kept pumping away and the boat popped back out of the water.
5. Keep all important documents in a small pelican or waterproof case on the dashboard. This included car keys, boat registration, passports, wallet, and insurance papers. I keep it velcroed to the dash and I was able to grab it as we got off boat. Having everything was really helpful for dealing with the aftermath.

Notes about clean-up:
1. Get the plugs out of the engines as soon as you can. Run the engines to kick as much of the water out as you can. Note that this isn't a little water spitting out. It was enough to drench the three cars parked next to boat. And yes, it's coming out under high pressure.
2. Getting a long air nozzle that fits down though the spark plug holes really helps get the water out.
3. Plan to make friends with OPEC for oil. I've now changed 12 gallons of oil and it's just at a point where it looks like normal oil. Change the filters every two or three oil changes. I've gone through 8 filters so far.
4. Don't underestimate the damage of the salt-water. All the amplifiers, radio, and several harnesses under the dash are were trashed. The main battery is dead (it was a vented design). The AGM battery seems to be fine.
5. Spray everything with Salt-Away as soon as possible. Common sense, but really makes a big difference.

Happy News!
We took the boat out on the lake yesterday, and most things are returning to normal. I've still got to replace the radio, amps, and some wiring, but this will all come in time. Next year, it will likely be a guys trip on the boat with wife and kids taking the ferry or flying.
@David Hoff , thanks for this insight. According to your report, I was not properly prepared, but I will be next time. Thank you for the insight.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We found the elusive spotted Dolphins. Two ran so close to the bow that @Emma was able to reach over and touch one. @Rana has lots of pics and video that we will share after we get home.

image.jpg

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's to funny we went to Anclote sand bar and felt like we were visiting a swamp.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did anyone see a boat rental place in Bimini?
Bimini Sands rents out some small center console type boats. I will try to remember to take a picture.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For you guys suffering Post Bimini Blues we just enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Bimini Twist after a long day of hanging out at the infinity pool, snorkeling until a shark siteing and chasing Dolphins. On the down side Bimini Sands is out of gas again.

image.jpg image.jpg