• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Crossing December

mzakiewicz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crossing this weekend
We’re wondering what people think of tomorrow’s forecast for a Bimini crossing. 24ft Yamaha.

SATURDAY
East southeast winds 10 to 15 knots along the coast to east southeast 15 to 20 knots in the Gulf Stream. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas to 5 feet. Period 4 seconds.
Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Light showers likely in the morning, then chance of light showers.

Also if anyone else is going feel free to reach out.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My best advise...Stay home.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,
since this is your first post we need to know a little more about you,

Have you ever crossed before? if so, in what boat and what conditions?
do you have other open water experience? if so what type
Where are you going to be staying in Bimini ?

@Betik @robert843 might be able to comment on the water conditions

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Windy is showing solid 5 this weekend. Statistically speaking you will either brake the boat or run out of fuel. Refueling at those seas is not a good idea either. Despite the risk, I cannot imagine this is a good way to start vacation. You will most likely need a couple of days to recover from such a crossing.

if you have to go I will wait for Tuesday morning

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crossing this weekend
We’re wondering what people think of tomorrow’s forecast for a Bimini crossing. 24ft Yamaha
I wouldn’t do it.
But.. if you must, leave your family home, they wouldn’t enjoy it.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Crossing this weekend
We’re wondering what people think of tomorrow’s forecast for a Bimini crossing. 24ft Yamaha.

SATURDAY
East southeast winds 10 to 15 knots along the coast to east southeast 15 to 20 knots in the Gulf Stream. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas to 5 feet. Period 4 seconds.
Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Light showers likely in the morning, then chance of light showers.

Also if anyone else is going feel free to reach out.
What is the LOA of your 06 Yamaha or what model/year is your 24' Yamaha again? The information given is not correct. Call me a skeptic.

20191228_064517.jpg

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Post pics / vids!

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @mzakiewicz i’ve personally have never made that crossing, BUT I do go out in the open Ocean a lot. I always check the forecast and when it’s telling me those types of conditions. I leave the mooring cover on, and go mow the lawn and cut the hedges.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@rkim808 Off topic but how far was the helicopter crash from you? Did you know the pilot? Terrible shame. Does anybody know what happened?

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rkim808 Off topic but how far was the helicopter crash from you? Did you know the pilot? Terrible shame. Does anybody know what happened?
Aloha kakou @Dean P the helicopter went down bellow Kokee right above Nu’alolo on the Napali Coast. That’s on the backside of the island in a rural area, the opposite side of the island from me. I personally didn’t know the pilot. A friend of a friend was the one that found the wreckage, and said that it looked liked he flew into the face of the mountain. That friend also told me that at that same time the crash supposedly happened, there was “Whiteout”conditions happening. I guess u can compare it to like a fog. The Helicopters fly low all in those areas dropping in and out of the valleys. There were 7 on board including 2 children, no survivors and they only found 6 of them so far. The search will continue today to find the last one. Prayers🙏🏽 And condolences go out to all there Ohana(family).

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Aloha kakou @Dean P the helicopter went down bellow Kokee right above Nu’alolo on the Napali Coast. I personally didn’t know the pilot. A friend of a friend was the one that found the wreckage, and said that it looked liked he flew into the face of the mountain. That friend also told me that at that same that the crash supposedly happened, there was “Whiteout”conditions happening. I guess u can compare it to like a fog. The Helicopters fly low all in those areas dropping in and out of the valleys. There were 7 on board including 2 children, no survivors and they only found 6 of them so far. The search will continue today to find the last one. Prayers🙏🏽 And condolences go out to all there Ohana(family).
Thank you for sharing. God bless all the families involved.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
now if @swatski is staying home, I think none has any business being out there. Unless you want to keep the USCG busy and maybe with a bit of luck make national news.
With those conditions getting out there in a YJB is a fool's errand! IMHO.

Our boats have enough power to climb swells however short period makes things worse, worse than big swells actually, albeit trim tabs can provide a bit softer ride.

But - basically - waves over 2ft with a period shorter than 2x the wave height equals no go.

A guy "Captain Kev" on the old site used to do some pretty serious off shore trips in Hawaii, and Rueben @rkim808 here does it all the time!
Group trips to Bimini have proven our Yammies can do it but there are limits!

--

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Aloha kakou @Dean P the helicopter went down bellow Kokee right above Nu’alolo on the Napali Coast. That’s on the backside of the island in a rural area, the opposite side of the island from me. I personally didn’t know the pilot. A friend of a friend was the one that found the wreckage, and said that it looked liked he flew into the face of the mountain. That friend also told me that at that same time the crash supposedly happened, there was “Whiteout”conditions happening. I guess u can compare it to like a fog. The Helicopters fly low all in those areas dropping in and out of the valleys. There were 7 on board including 2 children, no survivors and they only found 6 of them so far. The search will continue today to find the last one. Prayers🙏🏽 And condolences go out to all there Ohana(family).
This is how most helicopter/plane crashes happen. When you enter a no-visibility condition and aren’t prepared for it you react to things your body is feeling, which is usually not what is actually happening.

You might feel like you’re in a climb, but in reality you’re in a dive. Mountainous areas like Hawaii make this even more dangerous, especially when they’re surrounded by water.

amccoy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We just did a cruise (first time).

12/26 - Left Jacksonville FL
12/27 - Freeport Bahamas
12/28 - Nassau Bahamas
12/29 - at sea
12/30 - Arrived Jacksonville FL

In my opinion the only day that looked possible (from the top of a 14 story ship) for a jetboat was early Sunday 12/30. Very few waves and small slow-moving swells, slight wind from the south. Later in the day was more choppy

On a similar topic, when can we start nailing down dates for a June crossing?

nofd843

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
So did you go mzakiewicz?