• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

bimini emergency

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He has not, just got back and robert told me something about this. Where is the boat now? Happy to try to help? I'm at the sands now
walt.. its the black yammie beside the brown and white chap cabin cruiser by the fuel dock... one of the guys is staying on the cabin cruiser at night..

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can someone swamp the ECU from one engine to the other and see if the issue resolves?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How are things going?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this doesn't get solved, I think you could call on some of the better Yamaha service/dealers with the idea that if they can provide 10 minutes of troubleshooting steps, they would get a lot of marketing out of it given the significance of the Bimini trip to the Yamaha Jet boat group. A Yamaha tech should be able to narrow the problem down. Not to say that we can't solve this but I am making the suggestion if we start to back up close to the departure time. There are also others that have direct relationships with Yamaha and would probably have some ideas

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this doesn't get solved, I think you could call on some of the better Yamaha service/dealers with the idea that if they can provide 10 minutes of troubleshooting steps, they would get a lot of marketing out of it given the significance of the Bimini trip to the Yamaha Jet boat group. A Yamaha tech should be able to narrow the problem down. Not to say that we can't solve this but I am making the suggestion if we start to back up close to the departure time. There are also others that have direct relationships with Yamaha and would probably have some ideas
Probably a waste of time... (I'm afraid). The dealer network is not that useful unless you actually have a relationship with one, and Yamaha will not want to get involved in something that clearly is an accident (an "act of god" in insurance lingo?)

I would look for making the claim and having the boat towed, unless the guys there find the issue that can be resolved with no major parts. SeaTow is very good, they will meet the boat out of the BS marina, and tow it to FL, no issues. Just make sure the cooling intake hoses are clamped and the throttles thrown forward.

Best of luck! This is a terrible experience. But the boat will likely be okay, I would bet on the ECU being fried.

--

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I spoke with them as we headed out this morning. . They had the mechanic there looking at it. I told them about this thread and advised them to get on and see the suggestions here. We just came back for a bathroom break and the boat was still there and the people were all standing in their balcony... Ifcourse it just started pouring rain but that's no big deal around here..

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bronze_10 my understanding is that island mechanics are good with mechanical problems but like to remove electronics.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I spoke with them as we headed out this morning. . They had the mechanic there looking at it. I told them about this thread and advised them to get on and see the suggestions here. We just came back for a bathroom break and the boat was still there and the people were all standing in their balcony... Ifcourse it just started pouring rain but that's no big deal around here..
Let me tell you, @bronze_10, next time I go to Bimini I'll want to make sure I'm wiht your group. I find it outstanding how you have been helping the crew (stricken by lightning). Greatest respect, sir!

I would hope maybe @Edgar Almonte would see this thread and chime in, he had a leak last year and decided to use his insurance and Sea Tow to bring the boat back from BS - which worked out really well from what I understand.
I would at least look into that option, if I was in their shoes, most insurance will pay for the tow back to Ft. Lauderdale. It just takes a while, as they putz around at 10mph across the strait.

--

Lextacy03

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was reading prior posts on the site and one member was having the same issue due to the rubber hoses on the engine melting and causing a blockage.
Worth a shot to pull the hoses and see.

Jadams0527

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
39D27410-6AF8-41F5-986C-BD03BA93EF09.jpeg Spent a few minutes on my 242 to try to emulate your condition today. Closest failure that I can force is the thermosensor is failed open. In the attached video I disconnected the connector only and it stalls in a couple seconds. All other sensors, manifold pressure, cam position, and tps, O2, injector, just resulted in a run rough condition. Attached is the run trial which I repeated on both starboard and port a couple times to ensure it was lack of that sensor alone. The part numbers 61A-57890-00-00 or 6AA-57890-00-00 are both appropriate

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i went by and spoke to them and told them to get on the forum... still haven't seen them... still don't think it is fixed.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did this boat cross over with out group?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am traveling on business right now and don’t have a bunch of time so will just dump my thoughts given the limited info available at this time. Most of the sensors use constant 5v reference which is generated by the ecu and is very common for cars and boats. Given the symptom my best bet is the ETV (electronic throttle valve) relay or the 5 v ref / pickup circuit in the ecu being damaged. A few ways to temporarily fix but need better diagnostics to confirm. Are the plugs wet right after it dies? Does the throttle respond at all in those few seconds? Has the etv relay been tested. Is 5v ref being supplied? Have all of the fuses been checked? 3 star or 4 star model?

Based on this happening my dmm, pocket oscope and portable soldering/heat tool have been added to my tool box packing list along with some wiring supplies for the July trip.

Ps the vimeo links don’t work for me.