• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

bimini emergency

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Needs the code to move forward, otherwise its guesswork and tail chasing

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just got off a phone call with one of my dealers and he and I both agree the best way to move forward is to buy a pair of vice grip pliers crimp off the water pick-up line for the cooling system on the non-running motor go have a good time and limp home on one engine at 25 miles an hour. Also try to transfer some of the additional weight to other boats that may be making the crossing back.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just got off a phone call with one of my dealers and he and I both agree the best way to move forward is to buy a pair of vice grip pliers crimp off the water pick-up line for the cooling system on the non-running motor go have a good time and limp home on one engine at 25 miles an hour. Also try to transfer some of the additional weight to other boats that may be making the crossing back.
Seems like a bad idea to me.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Seems like a bad idea to me.
We need a poll!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is probably a bad ECU and I'll guarantee you there is not one on the island so they are going to have to either tow the boat back or take the ferry boat to the mainland purchase parts and return to do the repair hoping that it is truly the ECU which is causing the problem. There is no problem and no reason that they cannot simply crimp off the water pickup line on the inoperable motor and take advantage of the fact that they have two Motors, enjoy their trip which they spent thousands of dollars on, and stick with the pack on the way home. 25 miles an hour seems like a nice speed in moderate chop.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would it even make 25MPH on a single engine in chop?

I’d for sure run it that way to enjoy the last few days in Bimini, but I’d strongly lean toward a tow home before potentially being stranded halfway across. That’s what we pay for.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd think between 20-25 if mild conditions.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Back to the original description of the problem, sounds like a fuel starvation problem.

So they switched fuel pumps...

Did they switch the fuel pump relays? And look very closely at the pump/relay wiring??

Someone must have a multimeter there. Is the fuel pump getting voltage when the engine starts to die?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have spoke with them a few tines and told them to light onto the forum and get this wealth of knowledge. .. That's about as much as I can do... The boat hasn't moved..

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have spoke with them a few tines and told them to light onto the forum and get this wealth of knowledge. .. That's about as much as I can do... The boat hasn't moved..
Mike, thats all you can do. They dont seem to worried about it.
This site seems more concerned than them

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can give my buddy call in the morning as well he works at marina/yamaha dealer on lake Lanier. If you find something out we can have it shipped.

The relay should be fine since you switched pumps ect on the boat. Seems its electonical somehow.

Maybe try disconnecting from battery as one of those to simple solutions but it allows all power from ECU to drain and reset.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nobody took their YDS and a laptop?
Wont work on newer models. I think 13 and up. But codes and info are accessible from the self diag screen on the connext

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd think between 20-25 if mild conditions.
I like the way you think.
But this may be a bit too optimistic, most twin boats won't even come up on plane with a single engine.
I have to check that, I think I have run up to 25mph on a river but that was in in flat water and after L13 install.

--

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did they get this figured out yet?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Without trim tabs I doubt he can break 15 mph on one engine.

I don’t believe he will have enough fuel to make it home at that speed.

Based on the forecast such a crossing should be tomorrow or early Friday at the latest.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have they tried switching the rectifiers? It’s a total shot in the dark but before the ecu in my 06 fx waverunner with a 998 cc mr1 engine died the the rectifier went bad which would allow the engine to start but it would die within a few minutes and would not restart afterwards. When the ecu died the engine will not start at all.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mike, thats all you can do. They dont seem to worried about it.
This site seems more concerned than them
I agree... There is a wealth of knowledge here and if they determine they need it they can get it here... As for the forum I think u all just like the weird problems like I do.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I would only attempt a crossing on one engine (after a lightning strike disrupted the boat) if I knew SeaTow had a very fast response time. Not so much that I would be worried about a single engine making the trip, but more because you can't get on plane in rough water with a single engine in a 24ft boat (or so I've read).

Second option IMO is to start swapping parts between engines until the failed side has started running again. ECU, Rectifier, and Temp sensor are all very viable options, and shouldn't be hard to swap with some basic hand tools. Once I had confirmed what the problem was, then a timing/cost/hassle analysis would begin on taking a ferry back to the mainland, getting parts overnighted, etc scenario vs just having it towed. I still might arrive at having it towed depending on how that analysis worked out.

Final option is just say the hell with it and tow it home, then deal with it once I had it back on the trailer. I'm a mechanical guy so this is last on the list for me :D

I will also say, I have a dealer VERY local to me (I can reach them in 15min from the office), and if they have a part needed I can have it in Fedex overnight within an hour usually. I'll gladly help if I can, just need some direction. I expect anyone else watching this thread would do the same if asked. Money and effort isn't the issue, we can settle up later, need to get some fellow boaters home safely first.