• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini or Bust?... (busted)

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
So the wife and I had planned on doing the July 3-7 2020 crossing with other members of this forum. Due to the pandemic, we decided to pull out. No Bimini this year but hopefully next year it will come together.

So, we decided to stay closer to home and go visit the Michigan sand dunes. I mean, the great lakes are kind of like an ocean (3rd coast) and the sand dunes... well beaches!

Only July 7th, I packed the truck and headed from Chicago to the marina in Wilmington, IL to get the boat. I say "I" and not "we" because my wife was working until the end of the day. I pulled the boat from the water and met her downtown. Let me tell you, there's nothing funner than driving in the country's 3rd biggest city, during rush-hour traffic, pulling a boat (not)! So around 7pm we started our trek to Grand Haven, MI (about 1/2 hour west of Grand Rapids, MI).

The plan for day 1 was to boat from Grand Haven to the Silver Lake dunes (about 50 miles each way):

I'd estimate that it was about 1 1/2 hours to the dunes when we got to lake Michigan, but it took us an hour just to get to the lake due to the 5 mile "No Wake" zone from Pettys Buyou Boat Launch to Lake Michigan.

Once we finally got on the lake we made fairly good time. We used the boat's economy mode and cruised at around 30 mph. On our way we saw some lesser sand dunes:

We actually went past the dunes and stopped in Pentwater, MI (about 9 miles further) for fuel:
Nice property right on the channel. I think the (3rd) blue house is gong for about $700K.
We decided to stop for gas since the 11 gal/hr burn at 30 mph meant we would probably return on fumes. As it was, I'm not sure we would have made it!

So after fuel we returned to the dunes:

It's, apparently, a popular place for off-roading and we're thinking about renting ATVs on a future trip.

We continued a bit further south and found a quiet (desolate) part of the beach for some R&R:
When we got the boat, I thought that the rear speakers would be great for sitting out on the rear-facing seats and enjoying the tunes. An unexpected benefit was pointing the rear of the boat to the beach, and being able to control the tunes via my phone and Bluetooth. Who knew? :D

After a few hours baking in the sun, we headed back to Grand Haven for the night (including that dreaded 1 hour "No Wake" zone!).

The following day we left Grand Haven for Traverse City (on land) and decided to stop in Pentwater again.
We put the boat in the water and were going to go out on the lake again, but found the water a bit too rough:

So we turned around and headed back into Pentwater Lake and enjoyed lunch and loafing around while anchored. On our way back we received a visit from the US Coast Guard. Everything checked out, except they suggested we have flares if we were to go out onto the lake. I thought I'd actually had some but it turns out they were not in the boat. Oops! After pulling the boat out of the water we headed up to Traverse City, stopping off at Wal-mart for flares.

The next day, Friday, the weather was not supposed to co-operate (T-Storms, etc...) so we decided to stay land-bound. It actually worked out pretty well as we weren't that crazy about our hotel and used the downtime to switch to a nicer one (that actually had a restaurant open). Another bonus is that since it the weather wasn't as bad as predicted we saved about 30 minutes of bike-riding to go into town to eat, etc... I just wasn't crazy about dragging a boat behind me into town and wasn't sure if the hotels would let me leave an unattended boat in their parking lot.

On Saturday the weather turned for the better and the plan was to visit THE Sand Dunes. The Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes (biggest ones on Lake Michigan, I'm told). So we packed up and headed for Frankfort, MI:

As we left Betsie Lake, we were greeted with some sand dunes:
Nice, but not what we were waiting for.

Of course, the dunes continued:
But still not what we were waiting for.

Finally, we got to see these famous dunes and boy did they not disappoint:
Those little dots are people!

We anchored the boat and made the decision to climb to the top:
Doesn't really do it justice.

After taking longer than I'd like to admit, and watching too many under-20 year old legs go by, we were greeted by this sign at the top:
Good thing we went UP first!

Here is our boat from the top. Maybe this will give it a bit more perspective:
Still felt steeper.

Getting down was, obviously, faster than going up. Again we relaxed in the sun listening to tunes:

A few hours later we packed up the boat and started the 25-mile trek back to Frankfort followed by the 33-mile jaunt to Traverse City. We had dinner and quickly fell asleep.

The next morning we started our 6-hour journey back home (via our marina):
This was our final fuel stop before the Marina

So for those of you that are wondering:
  • We travelled approximately 150 miles by boat and 800 by truck.
  • The boat burned about 83 gallons of gas whereas the truck burned through 79.
  • We spent around 16 hours on (or around) the boat and Google Maps says 14 hours in the truck.
These numbers don't include the 60-mile 1-hour drive to/from the marina to Chicago.

So, thanks for sticking with it if you got this far. I apologize for the crappy pics. I wasn't expecting to do a blog and just haphazardly took pictures whenever I actually thought about it. Overall it was a good trip and plan on doing it again in the future. But really hoping for Bimini next year! :D

Nice trip, I’d like to hit the MI side someday. Have to ask though, are those Ram HD towing mirrors on your Tacoma? Or an aftermarket option? I’ve never seen that conversion before, just curious.

Looks like a fun trip! I was considering taking the truck/boat across the WI - MI ferry to get to that side and do the same thing!

Nice trip, I’d like to hit the MI side someday. Have to ask though, are those Ram HD towing mirrors on your Tacoma? Or an aftermarket option? I’ve never seen that conversion before, just curious.
Good eye! Yep, they're aftermarket (1A Auto Parts) and one of the best purchases I've made. They look a bit goofy on a Tacoma, but are super useful when towing the boat!

Looks like a fun trip! I was considering taking the truck/boat across the WI - MI ferry to get to that side and do the same thing!
It was definitely fun! If/when we do it again we would probably hit Torch Lake. We would have done it this time but Friday wasn't agreeable.

Didn't even think about the ferry! That would be an option for next time!

Looks like a great trip! Something I may definitely consider doing next summer - a bit too late to plan something like that for this year with the kids heading back to school in less than a month!

Did you have any issues with the hotels letting you park the boat?

Looks like a great trip! Something I may definitely consider doing next summer - a bit too late to plan something like that for this year with the kids heading back to school in less than a month!
You may have more time than you think, in light of the current situation. That being said, there must be tons of interesting routes in FL (if that's where you're from), inter-coastal, gulf, etc... A trip to the keys was our original backup if the weather didn't quite hold up for the Bimini crossing.
Did you have any issues with the hotels letting you park the boat?
Surprisingly not (I really wasn't sure beforehand and hoped for the best). The only minor issue we had was the limited (truck w/trailer sized) parking at the first Traverse City hotel we stayed at. I got one of the last spots, which was another reason I didn't want to move once I parked. Having the bikes was a definite plus!

You may have more time than you think, in light of the current situation. That being said, there must be tons of interesting routes in FL (if that's where you're from), inter-coastal, gulf, etc... A trip to the keys was our original backup if the weather didn't quite hold up for the Bimini crossing.

Surprisingly not (I really wasn't sure beforehand and hoped for the best). The only minor issue we had was the limited (truck w/trailer sized) parking at the first Traverse City hotel we stayed at. I got one of the last spots, which was another reason I didn't want to move once I parked. Having the bikes was a definite plus!
Thanks for the info. Yeah we are in Florida. Planning to explore some of the inner lake chains (Conway, Butler, etc.) and probably take a trip or two to the coasts. Might do the Keys but only if we have a week or so to do it. We only moved here a year ago. Haven't been to the Keys yet so would definitely need to do some research before we head down there.

@Nexus Nice Trip. We were just at Silver Lake and in Pentwater and Ludington. Water was very high in Pentwater Lake, they are about to make the whole lake no wake. I posted here about some guy I had issues with at the ramp in Pentwater Lake......

We came back the day before you left. The water was fantastic. I recommend everyone who can to do that side of the lake all the way to Grand Traverse Bay.

We are headed up further to Traverse City and Charlevoix also Torch lake in about 4 weeks. We are considering taking the boat across to Beaver Island, which would be a very cool trip. I stayed on the island once in 2003 and had a great time.

For those interested, Lake Michigan is warmer than I have seen it in 20+ years. Record water temperatures. Great for swimming and watersports right now. Usually it is so cold it bites in the middle of summer.

@Nexus Nice Trip. We were just at Silver Lake and in Pentwater and Ludington. Water was very high in Pentwater Lake, they are about to make the whole lake no wake. I posted here about some guy I had issues with at the ramp in Pentwater Lake......

We came back the day before you left. The water was fantastic. I recommend everyone who can to do that side of the lake all the way to Grand Traverse Bay.

We are headed up further to Traverse City and Charlevoix also Torch lake in about 4 weeks. We are considering taking the boat across to Beaver Island, which would be a very cool trip. I stayed on the island once in 2003 and had a great time.

For those interested, Lake Michigan is warmer than I have seen it in 20+ years. Record water temperatures. Great for swimming and watersports right now. Usually it is so cold it bites in the middle of summer.
Amen on the lake temp, usually over here on the west side it barely gets to 70 in the dead of summer. Last I checked it was almost there. Depends a lot on wind direction too.

@Dixie Highway We were getting 77 outside of Pentwater about 1/2 mile from beach, north side of channel. On boat temperature guage, not sure how accurate. Pretty calm day, just before noon so top layer may have been a bit warmer.

I’ll have to wait for a day with an East wind, that usually roughens up the water over here though.

No haven’t attempted that yet. You know, it’s funny I’m all about doing the Bimini crossing, but honestly not sure crossing Lake Michigan is all that interesting even though it’s farther than Bimini (I believe). The problem is, I’ve just taken great risk to get to.....Michigan. Not exactly as alluring as the Bahamas. No offense lol.

@Dixie Highway No I hear you. Still I just look for to do things. Bimini would be far better. Although I do plan on crossing Lake Michigan at least once.

Yeah, the water was high every where. I had to backup so far to float the boat off the trailer, I was almost up to my knees. Never done that before! In fact the Holiday Inn in Grand Haven had part of their parking lot flooded!

That is more in line with what we had planned (well, maybe not the Beaver Island part). We decided to break it up into two locations so we could leave on the Tuesday evening and still be able to enjoy Wednesday. Otherwise, there was no way I was gonna drive all night, so Wednesday would have been a bust! Next time we might just stay "based" in the northern lower peninsula.

Back