• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Black Soot on Stern after long idle

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After spending a good bit of time idling through marinas looking at boats for sale, I noticed black marks under the swim platform around the exhaust. We normally don't idle around long periods of time and I have never had the build-up of black marks before.

concentration is on the port side engine. I have noticed that the engine is requiring some oil on occasion and there is a small leak toward the stern side of the motor, but after reading threads regarding some leakage, I don't think I am losing an amount to cause alarm.

We normally run the boat 2 days a weekend three weekends a month. We put 100 or so hours on it a year. Probably has 500 hours on the engines. Can't be sure cause hour meter quit working one year and I haven't hooked up diagnostic software to check, but i did replace hour meter and run it past the last know reading.

Anyone have ideas as what caused the build up? Do I have an issue I need to be looking into?

Boat runs fine with no issues.

Any guidance appreciated.

I ran a thread like this under the 212x section . My 212x soots up all the time, specially under load like surfing or hammering a submove or jackass turn. it is moreso on the port side, and I often have to add a quart of oil. nothing definitive ever came from it.
here's the link

https://jetboaters.net/threads/soot-exhaust-build-up-on-my-212x.2475/

p.s.: same here, boat runs fine

Thanks for quick insight. Haven't changed plugs in a while since it was performing fine. Looks like two easy things that won't hurt are plugs and ring free.

After I ran that thread I got the ring free and the also did seafoam. no difference

My 230 soots up a bit at times. Cam.

Same here. I get soot, especially after surfing. Boat still runs like new.

Back