• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blown motor

CarsonMason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
NA
Sorry I'm new here and new to jet skis but have a question and hoping I could get some guidance, I bought 2 Yamaha skis brand new last year each have around 10 hours max on them. I put them in the water and one ran for a few minutes and shut of and wouldnt start back up, so I took it back to the dealership and he pulled the plugs and said we flushed it wrong and it would be 6 grand to fix it..does this sound legit?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you did it wrong and water went into the engines yes but get a second opinion . Never have the flush water running into the engine if the engine is shut off

CarsonMason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
NA
Is there any other circumstances that could cause this? I feel like I did flush it correctly and that there is another issue, but maybe not?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Anything is possible so try to get someone else to look at it if you did not leave the water running with the engine off and that takes a few minutes for the water to fill up the exhaust system and then get up into the engine also towing one with the engine off canl do the same thing

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC I have wondered about if you're doing about 45-50 mph (or 70 mph on a ski) and the engine (s) die, would that be enough to screw up your engine(s)?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
no I seriously doubt it

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The original poster did not really give detailed facts about the situation so it is all subjective

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
another possibility is the ski was rolled upside down in the water and it ingested water from that, rolling it back the wrong way can do it.
Another possibility would be the engine ran hot and warped a head or blew a head gasket

Last edited:

CarsonMason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
NA
I gave all the details I have, they both ran fine one weekend and the next we put them in the water and it started I put it in reverse and backed out and when I switched to drive and hit the gas it immediately shut off, unless a neighbors kid hooked up the hose and let it run it was flushed properly.. but somehow water got in the motor and it's a mystery, the Yamaha dealer said it had to be flushed wrong for this to happen...with less than 10 hours you would thing the dealer you bought them from would try and help out...I have it scheduled to let another dealer look at it, I will report back when we see why this happened...thanks for the ideas on what could've happened.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I gave all the details I have, they both ran fine one weekend and the next we put them in the water and it started I put it in reverse and backed out and when I switched to drive and hit the gas it immediately shut off, unless a neighbors kid hooked up the hose and let it run it was flushed properly.. but somehow water got in the motor and it's a mystery, the Yamaha dealer said it had to be flushed wrong for this to happen...with less than 10 hours you would thing the dealer you bought them from would try and help out...I have it scheduled to let another dealer look at it, I will report back when we see why this happened...thanks for the ideas on what could've happened.
If the engine hydrolocked due to flush water intrusion it really wouldn't start, would it? Is this a 1.8 or a MR-1 ski?

--

CarsonMason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
NA
It's the vx deluxe high output 1.0

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If the engine hydrolocked due to flush water intrusion it really wouldn't start, would it? Is this a 1.8 or a MR-1 ski?

--
I agree with @swatski, no way a hydrolocked engine would start up and run before it died. Or a better way to say it is when an engine hydrolocks it doesn't start, it hydrolocks from being turned over - no? If it can, someone please educate me.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's the vx deluxe high output 1.0
That would basically rule out the timing chain issue (breaking in some 1.8s).
Any chance there would be water in the engine bay that would be sucked in after start, for example due to rain or due to exhaust cooling clamps falling off?

--

Cody700

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Has the ski been frozen? This doesn't add up to me at all. If you had it running and it locked up when it was put in forward, it sounds like you took something into the impeller and locked it up. I have had that happen, sucked up a rock and locked it tight. Pulled the nozzle and replaced the impeller and all was well. There is more to this story it seems.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it was under power and suddenly ingested water it is possiable it bent a connecting rod ... water doesnt compress like air does.