• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Cover

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha covers are relatively cheap compared to others. We paid over $2300 for a Premier pontoon cover when ours got shredded in a storm. I'll gladly pay $4-600 every 5 years or so for a great fitting, made for the specific boat cover.
This is all true. However, as a new boat owner, I was shocked that a cover was so expensive. Simply, it is not something a newbie like I was expects. That was more my point: they are expensive, but that is normal because the alternatives, when done properly are even more expensive (at which point the Yamaha mooring cover comes to look right down reasonable).

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so I did find something on Yamaha Sports Plaza, but I am a little confused. Here are screenshots of 2 different covers that show up for my boat. I see the wording and model numbers are different. What is the difference and which is better?
There are two different qualities of mooring covers. The black premium deluxe one is better than the grey (usually cheaper) premium cover. Better material, covers for the cleats, etc.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah, then I have the Black Premium Deluxe with the covers for the cleats and gas tank. It held up all summer just fine. Still looks new.

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have searched the forum for boat cover options for my boat and didn't really find anything.

I have a 2012 SX210 and am considering buying a full cover for the boat for the winter. As of now I do not have indoor storage and I may not this winter, so I am thinking of getting a cover. I have the snap on covers now and they are great, but they obviously do not cover the whole top of the boat which is probably why I have some oxidation on the top.

Anyway, I first started to look for the Yamaha cover. I can hardly find it for sale, but the one place I was was Amazon and it was like $750. I have no idea what they are normally priced, but my guess is that since its Yamaha that may be the price. So I am looking for some experiences/opinions on what cover is a good option and where to find it.

I would like the cover to fit well, which I am sure the Yamaha does. I also obviously want it to last more than a season. I have not ruled out the Yamaha, but it does seem pricey. What is the normal expected price for the Yamaha and are there other good options I should consider?
Yes, around $750 is what you’ll pay for a Yamaha cover. That being said, from my personal experience I do not recommend. I got 11 years out of my original cover and I loved it, best fitting boat cover I ever had. With the age, every hole or tear I had fixed, a new one appeared. So I bit the bullet and bought the Yamaha replacement. Fit great, but after 1 season it was already starting to wear around the bow light. I had them warranty it, which they did. The replacement they sent leaked at the seams around the windshield. Then they sent me another one right away, but it was for an AR. I called, they apologized, and promptly sent me..........another AR cover. I called, they apologized again, and sent me the right cover. Guess what, it leaked at the seams. They sent another AR cover. Then they sent me an SX cover, and this one leaked too, but I couldn’t tell where. At this point I was done with Yamaha. I sold the 3 AR covers for $500 a piece on EBay, believe it or not, they never sent me return shipping labels or contacted me for them back. I took the $1500 and had a custom cover made at a local canvas shop. It’s a snap on, doesn’t go all the way down the sides so I can snap it from inside the boat when I leave it in the water. They also made it so it goes on with the bimini in the up position, not deployed, just the bars up. It was a great investment. I did keep the last Yamaha cover they sent, I use it when I tow long distance so I can put the Bimini all the way down. My opinion, if you’re going to invest in a new cover, spend the extra money to have a custom one made. A good canvas shop will fit it however you want it, you can choose color and material. Also you can pick straps or snaps. A local shop will also give you much better customer service than Yamaha ever will. You can have a nice custom made for around a grand. I went all out on mine with top of the line material and snaps color matched to my boat so it cost more. If anyone is interested, let me know and I’ll post pictures of my custom cover

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are two different qualities of mooring covers. The black premium deluxe one is better than the grey (usually cheaper) premium cover. Better material, covers for the cleats, etc.
It looks like someone on here has a brand new gray one for sale for $500. The model and pictures show that it’s must be the gray one.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know you guys said the black is a better cover but does anyone know the main difference? Trying to figure out if the price difference is worth it between the 2 covers, especially at the $500 price for the gray one.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like I can find the black version for a little over $600 now from a few vendors. Not sure if the difference is worth it or not.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like I can find the black version for a little over $600 now from a few vendors. Not sure if the difference is worth it or not.
The better cover should have rubber boots with zippers for all the cleats, gas cap, and rachet. If this is only for winter storage (I think you said you have a snap cover) I would buy the less expensive one if the difference is that great. Why pay for conviniences you don’t need?

Interestingly in 2019 the list price for the ‘12-‘15 SX210 covers had the grey more expensive than the black. The part numbers were:
Black MAR210BKNT14 $848.99
Charcoal MAR210MCCH18 $866?.99
(From 2019 Yamaha catalog)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would spend a bit more for the better cover. No way to upgrade it without buying another one. Who knows when you are going to need it in a water or towing scenario. The zippered covers work great and the ratchet cover makes sure it doesn't bounce around. I through my cover in the SUV and if we need to leave the boat any appreciable time at a dock the cleats are easy to get to. IMHO When we go down to cumberland or mead next year I would like to cover my boat at the dock and the convenience would be great.

As an aside, I also have the bow snap cover, which I purchase in case of inclement weather on the open water. I have had it on a couple times. It doesn't cover as well as the mooring cover.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The black one also has better fabric, as mentioned.

Bugz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a cover from Commercial Sewing for my 2002 seadoo speedster 10 years ago. I think it was $600. I trailer it everywhere and store it in the garage. Works and looks fantastic. Ratchet strap that tightens up below the rub rail. Highly recommend them. If I get the 252SE, I’ll get one from them.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I bought a cover from Commercial Sewing for my 2002 seadoo speedster 10 years ago. I think it was $600. I trailer it everywhere and store it in the garage. Works and looks fantastic. Ratchet strap that tightens up below the rub rail. Highly recommend them. If I get the 252SE, I’ll get one from them.

Yes well that would be the factory yamaha cover

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been buying spare shipping and canvas covers for years. Currently I have one shipping cover, one gray canvas cover and two black canvas covers. The gray cover came with the boat (I think but am not sure as I maybe on my second or third one now, it is more accurate to say a gray cover came with the boat). I buy or get all my covers used, I have not yet convinced myself to buy a new one, if I did I would go for the premium version in black (I have non premium versions in black (I.e., same as the gray covers, just black, no cleat or gas cap pockets).

Even used, they are expensive. On average I‘ve paid $400 for used canvas covers via eBay and the forums and $250 to $300 for shipping covers. I will add, expensive (too me anyway) but worth it. I view covers as sacrificial in that if I don’t use them my Boat’s interior, primarily upholstery , will wear out faster. after seeing quotes to reupholster entire interiors hitting $5k to $7k as well as knowing that the smallest cushion, the filler cushion for the walk through section at the rear of the cockpit is priced at over $200, the used cost of the covers look like a bargain. Again, I just can’t bring myself to spend $750 for new deluxe cover, not yet anyway.

Of special note, the shipping covers. Yamaha does not sell them separately. As far as I can tell one is made for every boat manufactured by Yamaha and it’s up to each individual dealer as to whether they include it in the sale to the first owner. When Yamaha discontinues making a model boat/hull they stop making shipping covers for that model/hull as well. So I buy them whenever I see them, I have not seen one come up for sale For my model boat in at least two years, if I did, I’d own it.

Finally, anti-pooling kits and shipping costs: most if not all of the used covers I have purchased came with anti-pooling kits (two poles and straps). The shipping covers come with fixed length poles and the canvas covers covers come with telescoping poles). Now when given the option I ask that the anti pooling kit not be included because it increases the cost of shipping a lot, sometimes double what it cost to ship without the kit since the shipping container/box is bigger whether the poles are fixed or telescoping). I already have several of these kits and don’t use them anymore now that I have found the boat vent II product but that’s a different subject.
For context, I recently got quotes to ship a cover via USPS from CA to HI, with the anti pooling kit $202 without the kit $115. UPS with the kit was $423 plus $13 or $15 for the box.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had both black and Grey. Hands down the Black Premium is so much better quality. Handles towing at high speed much better also.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered the black one on Friday. Hopefully it gets here soon.

Jilly Ruby Jane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I recommend iCover trailerable boat cover, got me through my first year and so far so good. Standing water does leak through. Showing some fading from the sun. I bought it large to help cover further down the sides and cover the motor. Was a good idea, but it still doesn't protect the sides from the sun as much as I had hoped. east to get on and off. I am happy so far and would purchase again.