• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat filled up with water

Jon Clifford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Hi there, I'm writing because my scarab 165 filled up with water for approximately 2 weeks and won't start now. I've managed to get all the water out and fix the leak but I noticed that the fuse box is completely corroded in the engine compartment.
At first when I tried to turn the engine on it would turn over once or twice but wouldn't start and now it doesn't do anything but both batteries are fully charged.. any advice? Thank you!
-jon

You got the water out of the engine??? What did you do exactly? How did you purge the water out of the engine?

You'll need to give a lot more info as to your situation.

I bilged all the water out and tightened a seal to stop the leak

Yes, but did water go into your engine? Did you check the oil? Remove spark plugs? etc. Or are you certain the water didn't go high enough for this?

I'm not sure if it got in to the oil but it was pretty much all under water including the fuse box. It was trying to turn over and then just started making a strange buzzing noise and nothing

yeah, you have more serious issues. If your engine was submerged, you can't just start it now. You'll need to purge all water, replace spark plugs, replace the oil (probably multiple times), inspect everything.... this isn't a small job and there could be more serious damage.

Are you capable of doing more serious work like that? If not, I think it's time you take it to a dealer/mechanic to do this.

There's a chance that there is water in the oil and in the intake. Since water doesn't compress, the cylinders can hydro lock when turned over which could damage con rods .

A mechanic needs to service the engine asap after pulling the submerged boat from the water. Probably should get insurance involved at this point.

This will help prevent your engine bay from filling with water. Why these boats don't come with a water alarms is simply amazing its such cheap technology

Back