• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

BOAT HULL COATING

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Last fall before putting the 212X away for winter a portion of the keelguard / shield came loose, I crawled underneath to remove what I could and found the area around the bottom of the V on the hull many fine scratches from beaching the boat....my thought process is to find a hull coating that is abrasion resistant to go over these areas after a fine sanding, etc. I don't want to get into repainting and new gel coat due to the cost for a boat that is in great shape but still 8 years old.....any recommendations on a good coating? It would only be on the effected areas and not seen unless the boat is on the trailer...want something that can be color matched as well if possible in a dark gray.

just put a new keel guard on?

i think @sotallytober had a strip of bedliner applied to his keel?

just put a new keel guard on?

i think @sotallytober had a strip of bedliner applied to his keel?
I am having a new keel guard put on, but the scratches extend beyond what that will cover...it bugs me to no end this happened and I want to make it look nicer and have told my kids no more beaching the boat.

Bed liner spray is not a bad idea, as long as the new keel guard will stick to that.

I am putting gator glide on my boat. I run wetlander which is the same stuff on my 2 wave runners. Its really slick and protects the bottom from beaching and accidentally hitting things. I am only doing a strip down the keel on the boat. My wave runners I did the whole bottom of the hull. Its really good stuff. Wetlander has a few lines of products for boats. You can google them and see what they have.

I am putting gator glide on my boat. I run wetlander which is the same stuff on my 2 wave runners. Its really slick and protects the bottom from beaching and accidentally hitting things. I am only doing a strip down the keel on the boat. My wave runners I did the whole bottom of the hull. Its really good stuff. Wetlander has a few lines of products for boats. You can google them and see what they have.
I’m planning to use this coating as well, and I’m trying to decide which to use: gator glide or wet lander. Why are you switching to gator glide after using wet lander? Do you have an opinion on which is better? Are there any reasons why you won’t cover the entire bottom? The reason I asked is because I’ve hit a log before and the damage that I repaired wasn’t on the keel. It was on the chine near the transom. Will wetlander and gator glide prevent damage when beaching and if I hit debris with limited effects to performance and the boats shine/look?

Thanks

I’m planning to use this coating as well, and I’m trying to decide which to use: gator glide or wet lander. Why are you switching to gator glide after using wet lander? Do you have an opinion on which is better? Are there any reasons why you won’t cover the entire bottom? The reason I asked is because I’ve hit a log before and the damage that I repaired wasn’t on the keel. It was on the chine near the transom. Will wetlander and gator glide prevent damage when beaching and if I hit debris with limited effects to performance and the boats shine/look?

Thanks

Just to be sure, do you feel that no additional rubber keel guard is required?

Thanks

I decided to try Gator glide so I could compare the 2. They both look like the exact same product just labeled by a different company honestly. They both go on and feel exactly the same. My wave runners get beached and this stuff has held up really well. My wife hit a floating metal object, looked like a big box but metal, in the river one time and this only left a scuff mark that I touched up. Uncoated I feel the hull would have been trashed. I attached a couple pictures of the boat after I did it. Orange was the base so I can see when the top coat wears and know when to touch it up. The blue is the top coat. I used the gallon kit and it seems to have been enough. If you want it just a little thicker a gallon and a qt would be perfect. My boat is a 242. It also makes loading and unloading so much easier as the boat is slick and slides easily on the bunks. Its a lot of work to prep but well worth the results.

Attachments

• 20230517_104118.jpg
    20230517_104118.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230519_081603.jpg
    20230519_081603.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 21
Back