• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Line-X'd the Keel

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Had a 9 foot strip of Line-X sprayed on Sotally Tober's keel today at Line-X of San Diego. I've previously had a Keel Shield and Keel Guard on my older boats, but figured I'd try something different.IMG_3536 copy.jpgIMG_3532.jpegIMG_2109.jpegIMG_2110.jpegIMG_2112.jpegIMG_2119.jpeg61195213265__6700CE8C-E650-4AB8-AA23-54306A4C1C74.jpeg61195215762__25084572-73E4-4F50-BCED-B28C985E1B90.jpeg

Remington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looks pretty cool, what does this do? protect against sand and stuff when beaching it or just general purpose protection?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Remington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
very cool, how do you feel about the end result, thickness/protection of the bed liner vs the rubber guards?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
very cool, how do you feel about the end result, thickness/protection of the bed liner vs the rubber guards?
Honestly, I couldn't tell you yet. I'm currently deployed and I'm having a buddy shuttle my boat around to get everything done before I get home in August. It looks good! All the research I've done indicates it's a bullet proof solution for protecting your keel.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That’s cool. I’ve also used both Keel Guard and Keel Shield so maybe I will do this one next :)

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looks good! How did the get the parts of the hull resting on the trailer and the tight spots near the rear? It doesn't look like they life the boat off the trailer.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That looks good! How did the get the parts of the hull resting on the trailer and the tight spots near the rear? It doesn't look like they life the boat off the trailer.
They went as far as the first cross member. Approximately 9ft. I've seen some other shops that have the equipment to raise the boat and line the keel completely.

Jordan954rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you don’t mine me asking how much did this project end up costing? I’ve got a 19 with 7’ keel guard and it’s great but I definitely like the OEM look this gives you.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you don’t mine me asking how much did this project end up costing? I’ve got a 19 with 7’ keel guard and it’s great but I definitely like the OEM look this gives you.
In total it was $375.00. Believe it or not it was only $15.00 worth of product. The rest was labor for all the prep work involved.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In total it was $375.00. Believe it or not it was only $15.00 worth of product. The rest was labor for all the prep work involved.
That's a lot cheaper than I expected. I have a traditional keel guard laying around waiting to get installed, but I love the way this looks. Thanks for sharing.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Following up on this one... I like what you have done. Now that you had a season under your belt, how do you feel? Is is holding up?

Thanks!

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Following up on this one... I like what you have done. Now that you had a season under your belt, how do you feel? Is is holding up?
Thanks!
After 30 engine hours and multiple beaching's (and hitting a sand bar at 20mph) it is holding up flawlessly. I will never use a keel shield or keel guard again. If you can find a shop that will do it.... do it! IMO it looks cleaner, you have the ability to do the entire keel, the strip is wider and it can be color matched.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Thank you! Since my hull is black, shouldn't be too hard to match. Already on the phone with a few shops, just trying to find someone who is comfortable doing it. Loving all the pics you included; that'll be the blueprint for what I give the installer (especially the one all nicely taped showing how install SHOULD look).

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sotally Tober I guess my only concern would be protection against a floating log or something else in the water hitting it at speed as can be the case where we boat. Or hitting a piling dock or a trailer, or even a submerged obstruction/rock. It appears as though the Keel shield or keel guard will give superior protection in those instances. No doubt the way you had it done is fantastic looking and offers protection against scratches and such.

I have had truck beds sprayed with this and they still get dented and such, but with a rubberized bedlinen it almost mitigates it totally.

I am not so concerned about looks as I am about the protection a thicker rubber material provides on me taking a chunk out of the keel and going in for glass work.

What are your thoughts? BTW... Awesome build on your boat it is amazing looking.

Edit: I have a black keel guard sitting in garage and have gone back and forth about putting it on or doing something like the LIne-X.

Last edited:

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Sotally Tober I guess my only concern would be protection against a floating log or something else in the water hitting it at speed as can be the case where we boat. Or hitting a piling dock or a trailer, or even a submerged obstruction/rock. It appears as though the Keel shield or keel guard will give superior protection in those instances. No doubt the way you had it done is fantastic looking and offers protection against scratches and such.

I am not so concerned about looks as I am about the protection a thicker rubber material provides on me taking a chunk out of the keel and going in for glass work.

What are your thoughts?
You bring up a valid point. I will tell you that every piece of floating debree I've struck has always been pushed to the side of the boat when it hit..... never a direct hit on the keel. Probably due to the water displacement pushing it to the side.

Every Keel/Guard I've had (3 to be exact) eventually started peeling away after 4 to 5 seasons of hard use. This is after they were professionally installed correctly. After 3 boats I just got tired of them and looked for an alternative.

While hitting an obstruction is a concern, protection while beaching is a bigger one for me as we do it everytime we boat.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you! Since my hull is black, shouldn't be too hard to match. Already on the phone with a few shops, just trying to find someone who is comfortable doing it. Loving all the pics you included; that'll be the blueprint for what I give the installer (especially the one all nicely taped showing how install SHOULD look).
Good luck! Other forum members have expressed difficulties finding a shop to do it. Remember, Rhino Linings is another option if you come up dry with Line X.