• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

boat rests only on 2 inches of a 6 inch bunk board. Should I worry?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i have noticed that my port side center bunk is not making 100% contact with the hull on the rear part ( see pic). The front makes 100% contact ( see pic) The steed side does make 100% contact front and back ( see pic).

The situation remain even after changing the bunk boards.

So a couple of questions.

1. Is this an issue that I need to fix prior to towing 1,300 miles to Florida ?
2. If it is an issue can it be the metallic bracket ? Does shorelader even make them anymore or should I check with the dealer?

Attachments

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
By looking at the first picture, it looks like the bunks are attached to a 2 piece bracket with a bolt right under the bunk that may allow you to adjust the tilt on the bunk? If you loosen that bolt will it allow you to twist that end of the bunk to set flush?

IMG_4587.PNG

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes the brackets are adjustable. Actually they all seem to be self-adjustable.
When I take the boats off they all change angles and when I load the boat they all reset snag. All but that one. :banghead:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i have noticed that my port side center bunk is not making 100% contact with the hull on the rear part ( see pic). The front makes 100% contact ( see pic) The steed side does make 100% contact front and back ( see pic).

The situation remain even after changing the bunk boards.

So a couple of questions.

1. Is this an issue that I need to fix prior to towing 1,300 miles to Florida ?
2. If it is an issue can it be the metallic bracket ? Does shorelader even make them anymore or should I check with the dealer?
I can't help you with the trailer, but your hull looks incredibly clean! Nice waxing job.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski it has nothing to do with fact that the boat has 30 hours on it and Mel put 27 of them. It is all because I take care of it LOL.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm sorry I can't help you with your bunk issue, but if it were me I'd drop the boat in the water and go play for a while and then retrailer it. Just to see if the angles change.

On a different note:
Are gonna dip that perfect, besides the bunk, painted steel trailer in the saltwater when you get to Florida?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@PEARCE I already tried 4 reloads. Including powerloading with 5 feet of the bunks out the water, winching the last 6-7 feet and even getting waste deep in a 70 degree water and pushing the side of the boat. The results are all the same. The common factor here is either me or the bracket. LOL

In regard, to salt water, I am afraid that is the only viable solution ( trust me I have gotten a lot of grief about it). I am hopping (please chime in if I am being optimistic) the trailer will be structurally sound for 3 years ( Bimini 2017,2018,2019). Then I will just buy a new trailer.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik I think your bunk is just warped. As simple as that (I'm assuming it is original wood). I would make sure the wood is not rotten, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
That's my honest opinion, after reviewing your comments and your pics again.

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Betik your bunk should be able to be moved by hand when the boat is off of it. After you launch, see if you can move it toward the center/toward the outside by hand. If not, loosen the bolts a bit and try.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bill D what you description is correct in terms of bunk movement. The move freely but they are not loose. As matter of fact the one bracket is the one that is the most freely moving. I still think it is bracket issue.

@swatski the wood is brand new, less than 30 days old. Mel insisted that I don't tow TX to FL on the original wood. As matter of fact, because I am fully aware of my skillset level, I ordered new wood when I ordered the carpet. The carpet person from GA, installed the carpet on the wood and shipped me the bunk boards with the carpet already stapled. All I had to do was take off the old ones, and put in the new ones. I also extended the rear/outer bunks buy 5 inches on the front and 1 inch on the back ( kind of pointless on the back), so I do have extra resting surface but it is all on the outside.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bill D what you description is correct in terms of bunk movement. The move freely but they are not loose. As matter of fact the one bracket is the one that is the most freely moving. I still think it is bracket issue.

@swatski the wood is brand new, less than 30 days old. Mel insisted that I don't tow TX to FL on the original wood. As matter of fact, because I am fully aware of my skillset level, I ordered new wood when I ordered the carpet. The carpet person from GA, installed the carpet on the wood and shipped me the bunk boards with the carpet already stapled. All I had to do was take off the old ones, and put in the new ones. I also extended the rear/outer bunks buy 5 inches on the front and 1 inch on the back ( kind of pointless on the back), so I do have extra resting surface but it is all on the outside.
Well, that makes it even more likely - the wood these days is sold practically "green".
I don't want to dismiss this completely, but I doubt this is a serious issue that would compromise your ability to tow.
When the boat is off the trailer, can you check those bunks - if may be crooked/twisted somewhat - with a strait edge?

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
it is supposed to be pressured treated pine :banghead:
I will double check.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it is supposed to be pressured treated pine :banghead:
I will double check.
PT, even when kiln dried, can warp very fast. I wouldn't worry about what you have going too much, as long as it is not disintegrating and in danger of the bracket going through and damaging the hull which it obviously is not. And dont even think of straitening it up! (I know you are thinking about it, lol). Wood takes on a set when it dries and the wood fibers shrink together. They may swell back a little bit, but not enough to straighten a crooked board. Once crooked, that is about the way it stays.

--

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
it does hurt my eyes, but I try not to look at it. So as long as it provides enough support to the boat, I can leave it.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length