• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat still taking on water

Update. First it’s not cooling water. I replaced all the clamps a few months back. Double check them. No leaks.

I bought new clean out tubes, $90 a piece. Took old ones off and completely cleaned metal surface so tube would mate cleanly and go all the way down.

Attachments

• 4BA681FF-1F3F-4CE1-84ED-F626D0F8F40D.jpeg
    4BA681FF-1F3F-4CE1-84ED-F626D0F8F40D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • 261D1716-8D51-4BBC-BB75-7D44A7C68844.jpeg
    261D1716-8D51-4BBC-BB75-7D44A7C68844.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • DF6703E4-1799-4FE0-A8E7-F013A7062438.jpeg
    DF6703E4-1799-4FE0-A8E7-F013A7062438.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • A1F64976-07B9-4B9D-8299-18E2A52AB8C4.jpeg
    A1F64976-07B9-4B9D-8299-18E2A52AB8C4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 1FE0BF16-804C-445A-85E0-A3BCA3DD9D79.jpeg
    1FE0BF16-804C-445A-85E0-A3BCA3DD9D79.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 59D038C4-F18F-46B0-B691-BFAEA92FD6B8.jpeg
    59D038C4-F18F-46B0-B691-BFAEA92FD6B8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Got new tubes installed with new T bolt clamps. Took it out and water still leaking at base of tubes. Clamps cranked down. My fear is water is coming in between fiberglass and the metal part that clean out plugs twist into.

Anyone know what this part is called. Can’t find it on any parts list. Nowhere on Partzilla or internet.

Attachments

• 5B7F5A1E-4557-4338-8852-AD3394E7B0C5.jpeg
    5B7F5A1E-4557-4338-8852-AD3394E7B0C5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
At the base of the tubes: Is it spraying or dripping or what?

If it is a low enough flow, you can probably put a bead of 5200 around the inside. Also pull the pump and make sure you haven't lost sealant in the path there (and that it is all smooth, while you are there).

Anyone know what this part is called. Can’t find it on any parts list. Nowhere on Partzilla or internet.
Got a few parts visible there... Which one? The metal tube? If it is not on the parts list, usually it means it is not replaceable (like something embedded into the fiberglass, etc.).

I tried attaching video but it won’t attach. Shortened it down to 10 seconds still won’t work

It sprays out at the base of the tubes all around and only under speed. Less then 25mph nothing and it’s speed not rpm’s that causes the leaks. Pulled the tube and held down the clean out plug. Daughter is driving and I’m holding on for dear life. With just port engine running I had her run it up to full throttle no water. Cranked up both engines and as rpm’s and speed increases still no leaks. Once boat gets above around 25mph it starts leaking and it’s where I was afraid it was coming from. It’s leaking between the metal tube in the hull where the clean out plug twists in. So as water back pressure in front of the impeller increases water is squeezed through this area somehow. If I look under the boat in this area everything appears sealed and no cracks in the metal or the boat. This is where the water is leaking in. Can this part be pulled and resealed. There are bolts and nuts under that epoxy. Can’t find anything in service manual or YouTube videos.

Got a few parts visible there... Which one? The metal tube? If it is not on the parts list, usually it means it is not replaceable (like something embedded into the fiberglass, etc.).

Yes the metal part that is imbedded and bolts into the hull where the clean out plugs go. It’s leaking between metal tube and fiberglass only under speeds over 25-30mph

At this seam where the yellow highlights are. Basically all the way around is leaking some spots worse the other areas.

Attachments

• D94047E4-E828-45BF-B83E-EE08905C78C2.jpeg
    D94047E4-E828-45BF-B83E-EE08905C78C2.jpeg
    724.6 KB · Views: 29
Has anyone taken this part off. Am I the only Yamaha boat that has this issue. Can’t find anything on YouTube or the internet ?

I tried attaching video but it won’t attach. Shortened it down to 10 seconds still won’t work
You can upload it to Youtube, set link as private and then embed the private link here.

Edit: Sorry I led you down the wrong path. :) Apparently Youtube changed the security on private videos some time ago. If you don't want it public on Youtube, select unlisted, then get shareable link and post it here.

Last edited:
You can upload it to Youtube, set link as private and then embed the private link here.

Ok will try that. Wish I had taken more pics and videos. Was more worried about daughter hitting something or me falling off the back ?

Sorry for the jittery video.

Hopefully that link worked. On the video you can see water spraying out at different spots. Also you can see water spilling out of the top of the tubes because they are full. I didn’t get video when I had the tube removed. Wasn’t thinking about video. I was thinking, shit my boat is screwed.

Video was private . Unfortunately this is the first time I have heard about this . Maybe others had it and didn't care about water dumping out of the drain plug . It looks like that area Yamaha uses some type of epoxy to connect these pieces in. Maybe you could add epoxy and seal it up

Yep. Got it.

That is a pretty big leak. And on both sides, which is then doubly odd. I mean, if there were some manufacturing defect on one side, what are the odds you would have it on BOTH sides?

The tubes are not supposed to be holding any pressurized water, I believe. Just have clamps on them to hold whatever standing water is on top of the plugs. So I don't think it is the tubes and the clamps. Must be the tubes themselves. Unfortunately, never heard of anyone with this type of issue, nor anyone who has ever removed those... There must be a point somewhere that the fiberglass meets the tube on the jet tunnel side--maybe just around the entrance to the tube. There must be some gap there somewhere that can be sealed with either the epoxy suggested or 5200... I'm afraid if you pull the whole thing you may have more issues (like because you are removing or breaking whatever stock sealant they use in there).

It’s not the seal on the large tube and base. The video I didn’t do was when I pulled the tube off and ran it with just the clean out plug there. Held the clean out plug down and no water was coming around the plug seal it was spraying out under pressure all around the metal tube between the metal and the fiberglass. Water always fills the tubes but never drains out. I’ve left water in the tubes for days before when I forget to pull and was the plugs.

Get some epoxy and seal it up . Great video showing what's going on. Is your boat under warranty ? What year and model is it ?
Are you the original owner?

Back