• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Test.com 223 VRX

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read minimum 87, 91 recommended
The sticker by my fuel cap says use 87 octane. That is on my 2012 255 hp.

Also my user manual says inspect supercharger clutches at 200 hours. Not 100. The 2011 manual also says the same.

Edit: It says inspect every 200 hours or every two years.

Last edited:

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It seems to be an Achilles heal with the supercharges on the Rotax, but as you've already pointed out, they won't be under too much stress, but why are they needed at all, hole shot I'd imagine. Also warranty issues concerning them would be ok as there is so much info regarding the past issues.

Other than the pro and cons you've highlighted have you addressed only having a single throttle lever on a twin engine boat?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Other than the pro and cons you've highlighted have you addressed only having a single throttle lever on a twin engine boat?
That is also one of my issues with the Chaparral boats. For me it comes down to, if I have two engines, I want two throttles.

I do think they did it to make the boat easier for a complete beginner and to take away the opportunity to do something stupid with the engines like ram one into full reverse while going full flank forward.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The one thing you get when buying a Yamaha instead of a Chaparral is the knowledge of this forum. Chaparral has a great owner's forum, but they are anti-jet boat. The majority of members are very vocal that they think Chaparral entering the jet boat market cheapens their brand and they think it is a fad that Chaparral will not stick with long-term. If you are to buy a Chaparral, I venture to say this forum will be much more helpful to you than the Chaparral forum, The problem is that our group has very limited specific knowledge on the Chaparral but can answer just about any question about a Yamaha. In the northeast, our boating season is so short that I do not want the boat stuck at the dealer for 4 weeks to fix a problem. In that sense, the assistance that can be had from this board is invaluable. Outside of that, I love Chaparral as a boat brand and if I did not buy a Yamaha, Chaparral would be my other choice.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the need for 2 throttles on a jet boat, i have never needed to use individual throttles to make the boat do soemthing, now I can see this on large stern drive boats need more help turning around or docking but i have never really see a need for 2 throttles. if the engines are synced why have 2.
My main issue i am focused on is the noise levels, after researching and comparing chaparral jet boat is noisiest on paper but until i drive one i can say it is worse that the boat i drive now. I am in the market for a new boat i am trying to learn all the facts about the chaparal 223 VR and see if it is worth trying out, personally i feel the design and style is better than yamaha (excluding the 242 limited because of price) the boat i looked at had great fit and finish and everything on the boat seemed solid.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The one thing you get when buying a Yamaha instead of a Chaparral is the knowledge of this forum. Chaparral has a great owner's forum, but they are anti-jet boat. The majority of members are very vocal that they think Chaparral entering the jet boat market cheapens their brand and they think it is a fad that Chaparral will not stick with long-term. If you are to buy a Chaparral, I venture to say this forum will be much more helpful to you than the Chaparral forum, The problem is that our group has very limited specific knowledge on the Chaparral but can answer just about any question about a Yamaha. In the northeast, our boating season is so short that I do not want the boat stuck at the dealer for 4 weeks to fix a problem. In that sense, the assistance that can be had from this board is invaluable. Outside of that, I love Chaparral as a boat brand and if I did not buy a Yamaha, Chaparral would be my other choice.
I do see your point, and in the end i will probably stay with Yamaha, i have had many conversations with the wife about all these issues. I love the chaparrals I love the look and the layout, my boat suffered an engine failure which cost me $3200 to repair so that put a taste in my mouth for something different. But i know in my head which way is best for me to go, maybe chaparral will make some changes to be more in line with yamaha (i.e. soundproofing and cleanouts) but by then i will have commited to a $50,000 yamaha.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do see your point, and in the end i will probably stay with Yamaha, i have had many conversations with the wife about all these issues. I love the chaparrals I love the look and the layout, my boat suffered an engine failure which cost me $3200 to repair so that put a taste in my mouth for something different. But i know in my head which way is best for me to go, maybe chaparral will make some changes to be more in line with yamaha (i.e. soundproofing and cleanouts) but by then i will have commited to a $50,000 yamaha.
Was that $3200 including the error on repair by the local school?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No $3200 was SBT 2 year motor and $1000 for yamaha to put it all back in the boat, actual cost was $5000 counting errors I did not want to include that :yuck:
I spoke to yamaha dealer at boat show and he told me a motor from yamaha factory is 14 grand i kinda laughed at him, that is total BS, I would just buy a new ski and pull the motor for that price then sell ski without motor.