• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat vs 2 Yamaha pwc

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m right up the road from you guys in Greenville. We should all meet up sometime when it warms up

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would love to see someone come up with a detachable rack on the swim platform to hold a standup ski like a superjet. Just for those times you may want to take a load of people with you and gear but also be able to rip it up on a standup ski when the boat is anchored in a cove. Or perhaps a way to safely tow one of those huge PWC's they make these days behind a boat kind of like a dinghy lol. Not even sure if any of that would be possible or safe but it sounds like fun :D

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another New Bernian, nice!
I am around the corner from @Paulie

Why settle get a boat and skis. Lol
While i love my boat for cruising and lounging. Some days its fun carving Brices Creek on my FZS.

Go for the boat. Fun for family and friends.
Get to see great sunsets and hang out at night.
20171006_220833.jpg

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m right up the road from you guys in Greenville. We should all meet up sometime when it warms up
We should definitely meet up when it warms up. Where do you normally ride at?

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another New Bernian, nice!
I am around the corner from @Paulie

Why settle get a boat and skis. Lol
While i love my boat for cruising and lounging. Some days its fun carving Brices Creek on my FZS.

Go for the boat. Fun for family and friends.
Get to see great sunsets and hang out at night.
View attachment 70446
What kind of boat do you have and where is picture taken?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Shiver not many boat in the Neuse. Its very shallow in many areas and so wide that even light winds make it dicey.
The Trent is where the fun is and everyone hangs out.
@ENC boater lives on Brices Creek and he is always on the Trent.
Lots of fun there

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kind of boat do you have and where is picture taken?
I have a 16 AR240 and that pic was last late summer in front of the new bern country club

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With all these new New Berns we gotta do a meet-up
Gonna be a great summer

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Shiver not many boat in the Neuse. Its very shallow in many areas and so wide that even light winds make it dicey.
The Trent is where the fun is and everyone hangs out.
@ENC boater lives on Brices Creek and he is always on the Trent.
Lots of fun there
Do you guys ever boat down to shaq island?

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AndyD , @bronze_10 , @Eric Ballard and myself did a great fall run from new bern to Beaufort for lunch then to Cape Lookout and back again
So what made you guys get a jet boat over a center console or a skiff? Everyone I work with is telling to go with a flat bottom skiff.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends on what type of boating you are going to do.
Skiffs are no fun for water sports or lounging in comfort.
I have had many stern drives but after this boat i will always have a jetboat now.
So many shallows and cypress stumps here dont ever have to trim up.
Very little maintenance.
Biggest thing to worry about is to mind your ropes. Easy to suck one up

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd say boat also. We do a lot of just sitting in our boat at anchor. A boat is nice if you just want to chill and have morning coffee or take friends out and just cruise the lake.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow You hurt my feelings about using a towable on a ski heck I have done that a few times even as old as I am and coolers and fishing rigs throwing a 7 foot cast net from the rear deck and catching grouper trolling with one I even have a trolling motor for my skies with removable brackets, but a boat is a hell of a lot more friendly for those things.
I've done it all too. From solemn skiing on a 10hp dinghy to kneeboarding behind a Hobie cat in a storm. You can tube behind a ski, but anything else sucks. Small wake and it gets yanked around. I've carried lots of stuff too, it's not comfortable.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't have a jet ski, but it sounds like a good idea. If we have two and the wife starts squawking at me, I can just turn.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what made you guys get a jet boat over a center console or a skiff? Everyone I work with is telling to go with a flat bottom skiff.
If you are looking for a family friendly boat I would rule a skiff out pretty quickly they are purpose built boats for those who like to fish the shallows. They are really rough in the chop and overall not very comfortable. If you do fish and plan to spend a lot of time offshore I would tell you to go center console though as they have some that are very family friendly. I live a little south of you guys on the coast of SC and I see a bunch of these skiffs running around and it always looks like they are taking a beating. I have had both boats and skis for years and I just sold my skis in the last year due to having a new child and I knew they were going to sit for a few years but once he hits about 5 I will buy another set as well. Honestly until that point over the last three years we had used the skis a lot more then the boat they were just so easy to tow that we could get away and do some little weekend adventures easily compared to the boat. Toughest part of the skis with kids is the no shade thing it wears on you and them quick. If I had no kids I think I would have a pair a skis and be fine but with the kids if I could only have one or the other the boat wins just tough to give up the amenities of a boat compared to the skis with kids.

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I had the same internal conversation.

I realized that skis are better if you are a 'whole small to extended family on the beach with chairs and grills and frisbees and then want to play in the water.' Also if the weather and water is almost always warm and maybe lots of waves and and jumping them is fun.

Boats are better if the boat is the primary hang and you leave the shore for all day. Or it's colder air and or water more often.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A boat is just so much more versatile, that I can't imagine recommending 2 skis over one boat. No doubt, the skis would be fun....but so is the boat! I think you'll simply get a lot more use of a boat, particularly since you have a child.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you guys for the input. I am located in New Bern NC and I will be using it in the nuese river mainly and island hopping on the sound side.
I actually bought my boat out of morehead city, we stayed in new bern and loved it. Had dinner at beer army in downtown new bern, great little place.

I did sort of the same thing, I bought 2 used skis. They were a blast, but in my situation, we always needed a boat to actually hang out at the sandbar. My gf didnt like driving the ski either, so we o ly ever took one out. After about 3 years of skid it was decided what I really wanted was a boat. By that point I was a jet guy, and i landed in an sx230 - also looked at seadoo challenger 210s but couldnt get paying more for asmaller boat.

I will echo the others, but used skis. If you want new, buy seadoo sparks,they dont seem to lose value. But be aware, skis are a gateway drug to a boat.

If I was you, I think I would look for an inexpensive 4tec seadoo sportster. They're around 5 grand here, and are truly a seadoo ski with a small boat around it. For 3 people its plenty of space to cruise around in, and then you can decide what you want to move up into.

Side plug, I have a seadoo rxp215 for sale very cheap. 80 something hours. I'm a few hours away in hickory, but could work something out.