• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat vs 2 Yamaha pwc

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New member here. So my wife and I have decided to get something to get out on the water after living on the coast for 7 years. It is just my wife, 7 year old daughter and myself so that is why jet skis are in the mix. We are completely new to boating and watercraft in general which I am wanting to get opinions. We are leaning more towards 2 jet skis because we think it would be much easier to get use to the water and familiarize our self with the islands and sand bars here off the coast. Also the ease of cleaning after each rose because we would be in brackish and salt water all the time. What’s everyone’s opinion and has anyone been in this situation? Go with a boat right from the start and get jet skis and familiarize our selves with boating and then step up to a boat?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Got my jetski to introduce my self to the water. After a few months instantly decided we needed a boat. Get a used boat and learn that way. Cleaning isn't a big deal.. especially with two people. The deal break is two things for me.

1. I can go out at night on a boat.
2. I can bring more than two people.
Bonus: You can go out in cold weather.

I learned more from boating than having a jetski. I just beached my jetski everywhere I went (so didn't learn a ton about docking or anchoring, you almost never worry about depth (so didn't learn about charts and the water ways).

Other people will chime in, but a boat is the way to go and a jetski is just a toy to compliment the boat.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If you go the route of skis, buy them used because if you like being on the water at all you will move up to a boat almost immediately. Your daughter will quickly want to do things like tubing and when that happens, skis because less than ideal. She will also want to bring along a friend...another issue. You'll also grow quickly tired of having to find land or a dock everytime you want to have a snack. Storage quickly becomes an issue. I could go on and on.

As for cleaning, you are on a jet boat site so I assume your boat consideration is a jet. The clean up for a jet boat vs. 2 skis is pretty much the same...maybe even less for the boat if you get a single.

I had these discussions with my wife as she was new to boating. Needless to say, someone got a great deal on a very low hour Waverunner because we (in case she is reading the board) didn't choose wisely. Of course, my son just got his drivers license so the idea of a ski for him has started coming up...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
First mistake people make is a common one. P W C s are not even close to BOATS just about everything is different and you can take that to the bank I have over 50 years experience with boats, raised my 4 kids on the water . Got into the skies at around the age of 50 and love them but It's two different worlds. So you really need BOTH , but if you need to pick one to begin with go with a boat not too big not too small.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
X2 what Jeff said. With skis, you will learn about skis. With a boat, you will learn about boating. Where will you be using your new purchase?

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you guys for the input. I am located in New Bern NC and I will be using it in the nuese river mainly and island hopping on the sound side.

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking at jet boats if I do decide to go that route.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New Bern!!! That’s awesome! My wife and I just moved to New Bern last month. Were are you located in New Bern?

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New Bern!!! That’s awesome! My wife and I just moved to New Bern last month. Were are you located in New Bern?
We live in James City. How about you?

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not far from there. I’m on the Trent across from river bend. W. Rock Creek Rd.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you guys for the input. I am located in New Bern NC and I will be using it in the nuese river mainly and island hopping on the sound side.
I use to live in New Bern. We use to run up and down the Trent river almost everyweekend on skis. We went out on the Nuese from time to time. Issue is the Nuese can be a mean bitch if your not watching the weather and winds. She will beat you to death. If you get caught out there when the weather changes it can get real stechey real quick. I ended up with the ski amd a 25ft pontoon boat. Its fun water up there. Taking the turns going up to Polacksvill from New Bern is a good ride.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With a family, your going to want a boat, no question about it. You can all ride together, relax together, lounge under the shade, swim off the back, bring toys, bring food, bring friends, listen to the radio. If the family grows, no problem... endless benefits to the boat vs a ski when you want to do it with the family. Skis are FUN, but get the boat first and add a ski later.

A jetboat is going to be the best first boat. They're affordable and the maintenance is super simple...

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
One or two of each would get you by I Bet! [flag]

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try to fit a cooler, shade, chairs etc on a ski. I've had lots of both, but a boat is way more useful. A ski is kinda like going wakeboarding. Towable sortss suck with a ski. Get a boat, then 3 star ski, then a superjet.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Last edited:

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I own both; recently purchase the boat after having my ski for 8 years. I dont have kids so maybe that why i did not buy the boat sooner; ilove my ski but like members are saying space is the biggest need. You need to find a place to chill, no shadow, no place to store a cooler, no bbq, like jeff said different wolrd my boat will never replace my ski or the other way around.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had skis. Then I got married and had kids.

I’d have both now but the lake we are on banished skis.