• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boating with Type 1 Diabetes?

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We got our son on the pump almost immediately after being diagnosed (thanks to my wife). T-Slim is excellent and the Dexcom is the absolute best. For whatever reason, Dexcom is more accurate and their app is wonderful/great UI.

My wife said the same thing about the insulin, and not to really worry about it. Just keep it out of the sun.

Glad to hear you're doing well.
We’re only a day in, but I totally agree on Dexcom! I’m leaning towards the t-slim pump once we get the blood glucose stabilized and our endocrinologist gives us the go ahead.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A DexCom continuous glucose monitor is wireless and waterproof. Insulet Omnipod is a wireless and waterproof insulin pump often used together with a CGM in active individuals.

Regardless of what insulin pump and CGM or even fully looped system you choose, they are electromechanical hydraulic devices and can fail, leak, or be torn off in an instant. These devices are tasked with managing liquids in quantities often smaller than a tenth of a droplet.

Most insulin pumps carry at least a couple of days insulin in them when everything is working as it should.

Carrying an extra meter, lancets, lancet device, test strips, alcohol swabs, manual insulin syringes, and a vial of insulin in a waterproof anywhere go pack is always a good idea for when the shit hits the fan.

Ideally, the extra vial of insulin should be kept in a waterproof container in the drink cooler if one is available.

Many kinds of insulin are stable at room temp for up to 30 days, but insulin is a protein that looses its shape, effectiveness, aka is destroyed below freezing and above body temperature.

Think of what happens to an egg after you fry it, or how disgusting an egg could taste after it is frozen.
You sound like a kindred spirit! We’re definitely the over-prepare kind of family. It’s better to have the extra meter/pen/etc and not need it than to have something break and ruin our day out on the water.