• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boats in!! Trolling motor battery question

the_stiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Will be picking up my 2022 195 fsh on Wednesday and am going to be installing 24v minn Kota terrova trolling motor. Was wondering if anyone has pictures of there battery setup in the hatch area? Im wondering how to secure the batteries to the bench so they don't go flying when hitting waves.

Marco Island Life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes I am aware you asked about installation in the changing room, I just finished my install 10 days ago, on a 2022 190 Deluxe. I installed my batteries in the front "Right" storage area, opposite of the built in tackle boxes. It dropped the front of the boat 3 inches. This is a work in progress.

Attachments

Last edited:

the_stiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello thank you for your response! Looks like a great setup. I bought some lithiums so the weight is much more light than AGM. I still might put in the center hatch as I will need my noco charger cables to reach the house and starter batteries too. As the lithiums would not fit in a battery box I bought some Milwaukee packouts with the tray holder and will be screwing that down to the fiberglass. Any recommendations for screws that hold down in fiberglass?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Installed mine in the changing room so it’s less wire to use. If you look under there is room in front of it and toward the left a tunnel to run the wire to the trolling motor. It is also right in the middle so battery weight not off sheeting balance86B4A2DC-2584-4665-BB33-41BEA1681665.jpeg

the_stiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Installed mine in the changing room so it’s less wire to use. If you look under there is room in front of it and toward the left a tunnel to run the wire to the trolling motor. It is also right in the middle so battery weight not off sheeting balanceView attachment 167455
How is the wood secured to the floor? Those are some nice lithiums!

the_stiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds good! It holds well I assume?

the_stiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome thanks! Makes me feel more comfortable about screwing screws into the fiberglass

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did something similar as @fatboyroy . Of course my boat is different but I also used the LiFePo4's. I used 3/4" King Starboard and then used 1/2" SS Screws and a battery holders you can see that the bottom mounts to the board then they have vertical side tube and then a top. I then used a side mount to secure it to the side both forward and aft.

The solution I went with was without any lumber or degradable material. I did it in wood first and switched over to the king starboard.

When I get my FSH in the spring I will do the same type setup and just use 3/4" Starboard and 4200/5200 it down in the same spot. Once it is fully dry I will mount the same battery holders. What is nice is that If I ever want to remove it, I can just pull the trays and leave the Starboard down.

20210616_171905.jpg20210616_142425.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
if you have time go with king starboard you need to order online, i was going to do something similar to @HangOutdoors but I couldnt find one locally so I installed the wood, I may end up replacing it someday.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
West Marine Keeps some in stock if you are close. You can also get similiar material from different suppliers.

the_stiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did something similar as @fatboyroy . Of course my boat is different but I also used the LiFePo4's. I used 3/4" King Starboard and then used 1/2" SS Screws and a battery holders you can see that the bottom mounts to the board then they have vertical side tube and then a top. I then used a side mount to secure it to the side both forward and aft.

The solution I went with was without any lumber or degradable material. I did it in wood first and switched over to the king starboard.

When I get my FSH in the spring I will do the same type setup and just use 3/4" Starboard and 4200/5200 it down in the same spot. Once it is fully dry I will mount the same battery holders. What is nice is that If I ever want to remove it, I can just pull the trays and leave the Starboard down.

View attachment 167457View attachment 167459
Would you recommend 4200 just in case you want to remove it?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@the_stiver Sure you could use 4200. You can also remove 5200 with debonding solvent and a lot of elbow grease. It isn't pleasant but I have done it on my boat. Easier to remove the 4200 though.

Marco Island Life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I talked to Minn Kota about Lithium. They said that their chargers could charge SOME lithiums, but not all. And that they had chargers coming out in 6 months, that was designed for lithiums. They did not recommend them at this time on their chargers. But Lithiums are great. Hope they work with your charger.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NOCO Gen 5 Pro's work great with the Lithiums.

Marco Island Life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
To Stiver, I am under the impression that the floor in the changing room is the second hull. So you should be able to screw into it. But verify with someone who is more knowledgeable than me. There is also, sand the finish of the floor, and fiberglass the mount down. You might want to put the boat in the water and check the (balance) listing, before you get to far into your installation.

To fatboyroy, those Lithiums, are down right pretty!!! That is the future. Don't even need battery boxes.