• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a project 1999 ls2000 for 800$

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
So o rebuilt the carbs got it all back together made sure cylinders was getting oil started it a little above idle then receding it up to 3k and then I tried to turn it off and it kept going with the key off at 3k had to put my hands over the intake to shut it down, you know what’s causing this ?
One of two things:

There is a black and a white wire in the harness that should connect together to kill the engine. There are three switches that are capable of killing the engine: the key switch, the lanyard switch, and the clean out hatch switch. If one of the other switches in the circuit will the engine it's a bad switch. If non of the switches will kill it and the black and white wires are not disconnected someplace the it is likely running to lean.

An engine running lean will run hot causing any carbon on the pistons to glow with enough heat to cause combustion without spark from a spark plug. Running lean can be caused from fuel delivery problems/ carburetor adjustments or an air leak in the intake or crankcase. If you can kill it by opening up the throttle and cooling the cylinders off with a flood fo cool air then it is likely running lean.

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So it was running with key off and the lanyard pulled off and the spark plug cables pulled off, ended up being a vacuums line I forgot to hook up lol Now cylinder 3 is only going off like 1 of 4 fires , I can see fuel going in I can see oil going in and I’ve checked spark and it’s sparking …. My thought is maybe too much fuel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello first time boat owner, new to boats, jet boats, and two strokes. So I bought a 1999 ls2000 off a friend for 800$ was told one of the motors was locked up. I let the boat sit for 3 years before diving into it I finally last week put a battery in it and tried to turn over the motors, port motor turned over starboard motor just clicked, after trying to jump the starter I took it off and tried it again starter was busted ( literally the neck of it was snapped ) so I took the coupling cover off and was able to turn the motor over by hand so I got lucky.

Now for questions I need a Bimini top I have the bars, is there a way to get oem top or should I do aftermarket or custom by giving measurements….
I need a cover it has the buttons around the boat to snap on a cover but I can’t seem to find one online all are aftermarket and made for any boat at different lengths, I went to a upholstery shop and after measurements they gave me a price of 2500$ and I’m not ready to sink that much into a cover when I can get a tarp to do the same for 100$ So is there a place I can get oem tops without offering my first born ?
gas gauge says empty but it was full oil light was on but has 3/4 of the tank so I’m going to try and tackle that today, when I got the port motor running it seemed to smoke a lot and there was actual oil misting out of the exhaust which I doubt is normal.
Biggest question being new to these boats what are some have to do’s and should do’s for maintenance or to make the boat run/ perform better? I’ve seen threads about air fuel separating and changing things in the carbs but I am ignorant to all of that.

View attachment 197138sorry for grammar and punctuation let me know if you can give me some advice ! Thank you
Welcome,
These guys have the best pricing and customer service for most jet boats.
I am not affiliated with them, just a customer...
here is where i got my replacement OEM cover (2015 SX190) the normal cost on other sites was over $800, i got it for around $600.
Seems like a lot $$ for a cover, but when it comes to Yamaha boats the after market covers just don't fit well....

Also check with https://jetboatpilot.com/ they are out of Florida and really helpful.

Best of luck!
1681482017137.png

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome,
These guys have the best pricing and customer service for most jet boats.
I am not affiliated with them, just a customer...
here is where i got my replacement OEM cover (2015 SX190) the normal cost on other sites was over $800, i got it for around $600.
Seems like a lot $$ for a cover, but when it comes to Yamaha boats the after market covers just don't fit well....

Also check with https://jetboatpilot.com/ they are out of Florida and really helpful.

Best of luck!
View attachment 197619
ps. here is precise link to jetboat pilot for your boat.
https://jetboatpilot.com/search?q=&hPP=12&idx=shopify_products&p=0&dFR[named_tags.MODEL][0]=LS2000&dFR[named_tags.YEAR][0]=1999&fR[named_tags.MAKE][0]=Yamaha&is_v=1

mss135

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The ignition switches are notorious for getting dirty and not making a good ground contact. The motor shuts off by grounding the power to the ignition. You could try turning the key back and forth a few times to see if that cleans the switch. If it continues to run again, you could try the choke to shut it off. However, if it was running faster than 3k, you could have a major air leak in carbs and that would cause it to rev uncontrollably or even to fail to shut off if the motor was warm.

mss135

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry, I missed some of the info above. I would make sure that I have a good ground as all of those switches rely on a good ground to stop the motor. It would seem that it would only keep running after plug wires were removed if it was warm and had a major air leak (running lean).

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
So it was running with key off and the lanyard pulled off and the spark plug cables pulled off, ended up being a vacuums line I forgot to hook up lol Now cylinder 3 is only going off like 1 of 4 fires , I can see fuel going in I can see oil going in and I’ve checked spark and it’s sparking …. My thought is maybe too much fuel
Usually an interment miss is spark related. Try changing the spark plug it may be fouled or cracked. If that doesn't fix it I would put a spark tester between the spark plug and wire. Then watch it while it runs to see if the spark drops out.

It takes alot of fuel to cause a running engine too miss. It may be running lean you could see how it responds to dripping a little fuel in the carburetor while it runs. If you cleaned the carburetors, put all the low speed jets back in the correct carburetors, used mikuni carburetor rebuild kits, and set it to factory specs the carburetors should be ok. You could swap carburetor racks with the other engine to be sure it's not a carburetor issue.

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Does anyone know the specs on the “high” on the carbs how many turns ?

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I Tok the boat out on the river yesterday it wouldn’t go over 3500 on either engine but idc I loved it and it was fun it’s not perfect yet but it’s working, thank you @Hoppy for all the help I’m sure there will be more questions but I think I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I Tok the boat out on the river yesterday it wouldn’t go over 3500 on either engine but idc I loved it and it was fun it’s not perfect yet but it’s working, thank you @Hoppy for all the help I’m sure there will be more questions but I think I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel
At wide open throttle you should be running 7000 rpm and 50+mph. If you are getting to 50 mph on gps then you have a tachometer problem witch was very common. If your max speed is way short of 50mph and your max rpm is truly only reaching 3500rpm then most likely the electrics box is sensing an overheat in the exhaust and limiting it to 3500rpm.