• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brain Fart leads to Mistake

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I have the boat in the driveway for the first time since I bought it, just to make it easier to do all my winter upgrades. We're leaving for work and I tell the wife, remember, the boat is behind you. I tell my 2 kids who are to ride with my wife, remind mom the boat is behind you. 30 seconds later I get in my car and plow right into the trailer. My ball hitch nailed the front rim, bent the rim and appears to have bent the flange on the axle, so the wheel is resting up against the shroud/frame. I still can't believe I did this, but whats done is done. Poke holes in this plan of attack:

Back the rear trailer wheel on that side onto a ramp. Remove wheel and attempt to pry or sled hammer the flange back enough so that the wheel won't rub. I only trailer 100-200 miles a year, so I'm not worried about uneven wear on the tire. I'm really just trying to get it somewhat movable to get the boat back in the water and then I can replace the axle if necessary. Water is 40 miles away.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh man, sorry to hear this. I am sure your plan of attack would be good, just take it slow and watch the entire 40 miles.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the wheel won't balance it is a non-starter. Recstuff and other similar places have trailer wheels for relatively low prices. Hub and/or axel damage is a non-starter too. Remember you have two 3k lb rated axels and a 5k lb load. What happens to your boat, tow vehicle, and any people unlucky to be on the path if something should fail? Is it worth it to chance it?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
True that^^^^^^^

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you sure that you bent something on the axle? It is possible that the axle slid forward on the leaf spring.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
if you lay down and look at the wheel from front to back, this is what you'd see:

| - Back wheel
/ - Front wheel

So it couldn't have slipped on the springs. And the wheel will be balanced, because I'd throw the spare on there. I just need to get it up and take a look. Such a hassle when winter upgrades were going so well. I have no idea what my ramps are rated, but anyone see any issue backing 1 side up onto a ramp?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The axles are u bolted to the springs. If the u bolts slipped and the axle moved forward then the front wheel would be at an angle. How is the front wheel on the other side?

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure I checked the other side, but will when I get home. But the top of the wheel, in relation to the ground, is up against the shroud. If it slipped, would you expect the opposite side to be farther away from the shroud? I can say that I moved the trailer a few feet after this and the wheel stayed off kilter in the same spot, meaning it didn't rotate.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another possibility is that the wheel bearing failed under load.

Regardless I would not tow the trailer anywhere until the axle is fully repaired or replaced.

You should be able to remove or repair the axle easily with the boat on the trailer. One easy way to get it off of the ground is to lower the tongue jack all the way down then place blocks under the trailer at the back of the frame rails then raise the tongue jack and the tires should come off of the ground. Once it is all the way up you will want to place blocks under the frame rail in front of the front axle and lower the tongue a little to spread the load.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The more that I think about it the bearing is likely to be the weakest point in the structure and is the most likely point of failure. You most likely have a failed bearing. It would explain the wheel being tilted and elevated.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What's the best way to diagnose? Some pictures? To be honest at first glance it didn't appear the axle bent, but seemed the logical answer.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most likely 1 or more of these 11 pieces, right?

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 1.03.15 PM.png

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's the best way to diagnose? Some pictures? To be honest at first glance it didn't appear the axle bent, but seemed the logical answer.
Jack up the trailer and remove the wheel. My guess is that the bearing is damaged so the hub will come off with the wheel. If the wheel and hub do not pull off of the axle together remove the lug nuts to remove the wheel. Then remove the hubcap (tap the side with a hammer until it starts to come off), remove the bolt that holds the hub on, pull the hub then take a look at and take pictures of the axle and spindle.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would guess that the ball bearings popped out of 9 and 10.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Say it is 9 and 10, how can you get the spec numbers on those to be replaced? Local auto stores should have them to get me back on the road.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The bearings are standard sizes. I would pull the hub, clean it up then go to an auto parts store to buy new bearings and a tube of marine grease with a grease gun if you do not have those already. Then I would take those to a small automotive or transmission shop and expect to pay $20 cash to have the old bearings pressed out and the new ones pressed in.

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The more that I think about it the bearing is likely to be the weakest point in the structure and is the most likely point of failure. You most likely have a failed bearing. It would explain the wheel being tilted and elevated.
I agree. I think it would take quite a bit of force to bend the axle or spindle.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In my experience the weak points are; the wheel and part number one where the axle is welded to the square tube, where the axle is welded to the plate, and a twisted plate itself. Check that part 11 is true even though more likely the wheel took all that damage. A 1 degree variance in any part will cause issues under load at speed. If the part is rotational the issue becomes exponential with increase in speed.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No luck that it was only the rim that bent? If nit i agree with bruce... if thsre is any doubt the bearing may have been compromise then sont pull it.. u will come to a stop at a red light anf a tire and hub will go flying past you and u will think..... some poor schmuck just lost a tire .. lol. 3, 2, 1, OH CRAP!

ask me how i know!
:(

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sucks! Sorry. Bearings, rims and even axles are really not expensive considering the risk of NOT changing them out. Although I'd be suprised if you actually nailed the unit so bad it bent the axle or spindle. My guess is the rim is toast and I'd not even chance the bearings. New and new. Best of luck.