• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brain Fart leads to Mistake

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's not the bearings. It's the axle. Buckled ever so slightly right below the leaf springs. My neighbor has a similar single axle boat trailer and very familiar. So we took it apart and noticed that. So where's the best place to buy a replacement? Going to call the yammie dealer near me first.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's not the bearings. It's the axle. Buckled ever so slightly right below the leaf springs. My neighbor has a similar single axle boat trailer and very familiar. So we took it apart and noticed that. So where's the best place to buy a replacement? Going to call the yammie dealer near me first.
Any good trailer shop will be able to quickly manufacture an axle for you.

--

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a bummer. Sorry to hear about the axle. Make sure to triple check how true the rim is. Maybe take it to a tire shop and have them check the balance. Sounds like it took a pretty hard hit.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I replaced a single axle in my garage while boat was still on (jacked up) trailer a while back. Just called a trailer shop, gave them loading info and basic dimensions, picked up the replacement a few dollars and days later and installed. Point being, I don't think you need a specific axle make, just the right spec'd generic axle.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ouch. The spindles are welded to the plate and to the top of the rectangular boxed tube. So the tube bent right where the spindle is welded? Thinking about the force needed to do that I am with some of the other comments about replacing the bearings and for that matter the wheel and hub. You have to take the hubs off anyway and better safe than sorry. I am not sure where you get the tube with the welded on spindles at that offset above the tube. Looks like a Shorelandr in house job to make them that way so you may be stuck ordering from Shorelandr or going to a welding/trailer shop and having them make you one by cutting off your existing spindles and welding them onto a new length of rectangle tube.

Good luck and don't be surprised when you get reminded not to hit the boat and trailer.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat and trailer are at a trailer shop right now, waiting to hear what the damage, pun sort of intended, is going to be.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think your better off, if you don't have the experience, letting a trailer shop diagnose/repair/replace what is needed. Your insurance should cover less deductible. The square box tube is just one of the components but none of this stuff is expensive piece by piece. You don't really need a whole axle complete with everything to the hub, you will probably only need that sides components and possibly the square box tube, but replacing it may be easier and cheaper in the long run. As they say, shit happens. Don't be too hard on yourself, many of us have made mistakes without using a checklist. My bet is you won't do this again, but something else may loom around the next corner, so get yourself a checklist and modify it to meet ALL your possibilities, and USE IT! Here is a checklist for your use, open in word and modify to suit your needs.

Attachments

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man, I hope I don't need to insurance claim this, a brand new replacement axle is only $200 shipped. If they quote more than that, I'll just order and install my self.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, I hope I don't need to insurance claim this, a brand new replacement axle is only $200 shipped. If they quote more than that, I'll just order and install my self.
Any damage to the truck that really needs to be fixed? If not, avoid that insurance call!

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No. Hit directly on the ball. It didn't budge. 400 installed mistake. Final answer. Spindle was bent.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
A new spindle is a pretty cheap fix! Glad that is all it was!

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh no. It was the spindle and axle. It's all 1 piece.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even at $400, sounds like a deal to me. Just think: you could have gotten the wheel, tire and poked a hole in your boat on top of all of that. And this way hopefully it is done right with no questions. Live and learn.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wish my mistakes were limited to $400. Pay the man and put it behind you as you have fun with your family on the boat.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would anyone be able to help me find the part number for this axle? I thought it was 66363, but eastern marine says this is not a shorelandr part number. My trailer repair place is trying to order the axle from the company that makes them for SL, but there's an issue. Trying to do my own research. My VIN is 1mdasav28ga581754 which leads me to this model YAV50TCBLW, which is how I come to 66363. Even better if someone is able to find a link to an item, I'd be appreciative, sick over this right now.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length