• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brake upgrade 2016 Ram - suggestions?

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm considering a brake (rotor and pads) upgrade in my 2016 Ram 1500. I'd like to increase the stopping power when towing and help reduce any fade. Was curious if anyone has done the same and what their experiences were. What did you use? What was the result? Thanks!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are u in a mountain area or something? Your truck should already have enough braking to stop the boat just fine unless u have some steep terrain... you could consider adding brakes to the 2nd axel of your trailer... that would give you a significant increase in stopping power.. other wise you could go all out with brembo 6 piston racing calipers and rotors! I bet that would stop ya! Lol

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Also curious why upgrading - my 2013 Ram had wasn't even close to brake replacement at 70k, also had zero issues stopping with the boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Because car mods are almost as cool as boat mods......I get it.

I've used StopTech parts the last few times I've done a brake job. You can get dimpled/slotted rotors in the same size and that will help with fade on repeated stops. The slotted rotors will also have better overal feel and modulation than a standard rotor (more leading edge interface on the pad leads to more initial bite, and better feel overall)

Hawk also makes a really nice pad for heavy loads. Had those on my 2003 Yukon with good results. I think they were the "green" pads, but I can't remember. It's been awhile and I've had a few drinks since then :D

Honestly, some new rotors with slots, some better pads, and then a good flush/fill with new fluid will get you the best bang for the buck. Anything bigger gets into big dollars in a big hurry.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might want to have your existing trailer brake system checked out. If your trailer brakes check out OK and you still feel the need for more stopping power have your truck brake system checked out. Final step would be to add brakes to the 2nd axle of the trailer as pointed out by @bronze_10

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm considering a brake (rotor and pads) upgrade in my 2016 Ram 1500. I'd like to increase the stopping power when towing and help reduce any fade. Was curious if anyone has done the same and what their experiences were. What did you use? What was the result? Thanks!
I have a 2013 1500 ram, and upgraded the front and rear rotors a pads with stuff from the breakshop.com. They are cross drilled and slotted. Truck stops on a dime, the only problem is the people behind you can't quite get stopped as fast, always looking in the mirror.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have enjoyed significant improvements in braking with Greenstuff™ Brake Pads and matching rotors on the two trucks that I have owned. One was a Dodge (Dakota) and the current is a GMC (Denali). The difference is noticeable driving on the street and pulling a trailer. I have had EBC Red Stuff of sports cars where they worked well for autocrossing and a little track time but mostly high speed commuting.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They also have dimpled instead of drilled for towing purposes. About $450 for all four
Dimpled is a much better choice.

I like the look of slotted though :D :D

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dimpled is a much better choice.

I like the look of slotted though :D:D
They have slotted and dimpled. Trying to find web address. This dam spell check is putting other words in my mouth.

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies all. We boat at elevation and have some downhill runs. Stock brakes have done the job so far but I have been growing more and more uncomfortable. Been getting more squeaking and a small groan sound when stopping in reverse. I had the dealer take a look and they are telling me it looks fine. Not sure I believe them.

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies all. We boat at elevation and have some downhill runs. Stock brakes have done the job so far but I have been growing more and more uncomfortable. Been getting more squeaking and a small groan sound when stopping in reverse. I had the dealer take a look and they are telling me it looks fine. Not sure I believe them.
The groans and weird noises is probably the parking brake shoes inside the rotor. Rust builds up on the rotor and can make horrific sounds. I just click the parking brake a couple of times and drive around the block, to knock the rust off. Then your good for about six months. If the rust buildup is severe, when to back up and turn it will bind and the truck will come to a stop. Trying to power through it doesn't work.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I drove commercial trucks I could tell when I was driving a truck with GLAZED or some call it CRYSTALIZED brakes.. driver would ride the brake on the way down hill amd cause the brakes to get super hot without letting off.... once the brakes get that hot toland then cool they glaze over and never grab the same again... if u have some long grades and u are a brake rider without towing you could have glazed them while towing... (the is a judgement free zone and we are in the safe tree inside the judgement free zone!!!)

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I just ordered and recieved EBC kits for the front and rear of my 2015 Ram 2500. Slotted and dimpled rotors and yellowstuff pads (Stage 5 kit). As soon as I get them installed I'll let you know what I think.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered and recieved EBC kits for the front and rear of my 2015 Ram 2500. Slotted and dimpled rotors and yellowstuff pads (Stage 5 kit). As soon as I get them installed I'll let you know what I think.
Thank you! I'd really like to hear how it goes.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I drove commercial trucks I could tell when I was driving a truck with GLAZED or some call it CRYSTALIZED brakes..
Hi bronze. Thanks will check. I conscientiously try not to ride the brakes. A couple of the steeper grade on my main lake here - I am downshifted plus braking. I keep thinking its not a long enough distance to glaze them though.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thank you! I'd really like to hear how it goes.
Alright, I finally freed up my schedule to block off a day to do the install. (I installed shocks too, so I needed more time than the usual couple of hours to swap rotors and pads.) The instructions are pretty clear that the break in procedure must be done correctly and the pads even come with a red coating on them to help with bedding.

I'm still in the 50 mile portion of the 200 mile break in procedure, and have only used very light braking when stopping, but even with very light braking, these feel so much better than the stock pads. They seem to be smoother and require less brake pedal to accomplish a stop. I have a long drive to make tomorrow for work which will allow me to finish out the complete 200 mile break in procedure, and then I'll really test out their stopping ability. And then I'll hopefully get to test them out on Thursday with one of my trailers.

And as a bonus, the yellow backing on the pads looks kind of cool showing thru the spokes of my black wheels.