• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Broken Bimini Retention Wire

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So, this has been coming for a bit as the wire has been frayed, but today I broke the wire that holds the spring clip that is responsible for holding the bimini up. Functionally it doesn't matter too much, I still have the clip, but I like it hanging there handy so that I don't lose it. Does anyone have any experience with an alternate way to tether this to the bimini pole or how to repair the item as it is?

Attachments

• 2015-06-21 22.23.52.jpg
    2015-06-21 22.23.52.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 19
Drill out the rivet, use an unisulated ring lug (probably 18-22 AWG with #8 ring), crimp new lug on wire, install rivet through lug and attach to the bimini pole. If all you can find is insulated ring lugs, you can cut off the insulation and use the lug.

$(KGrHqMOKj8E180(m0NdBNvw1ykpDg~~_1.JPG

Wow. I was going to take a picture and start a thread on the same thing.

Ok, so I will start with some of my (bad) ideas:
1) Drill out the rivet, crimp an electrical eye-terminator onto the wire and screw it back where the rivet was. Problem is that the same issue repeats itself in a couple of years.
2) So then I thought that if I drilled through the bimini pole and used that to store the clip, that would make it so that it was not always flapping (I have tried putting it in the hole at the end, but it is not wide enough and the clip pops out in about 10 seconds).
3) So now I am playing with what I might be able to do with some fishing line...

You might be able to spread the old connector apart with a tiny screw driver then insert the wire. Follow that by crimping the connector closed again.

Ultimately you should tack weld the cable onto the connector.

All mine are broken as well. It hasn't bothered me much, but it's something I might fix, just because. What's a good source for the stainless wire? Maybe going to solder it in.

Better: How about a little chain? Must be able to find a little stainless chain somewhere that could replace the wire and would not be subject to breaking like that...

The hunt begins!

All mine are broken as well. It hasn't bothered me much, but it's something I might fix, just because. What's a good source for the stainless wire? Maybe going to solder it in.

I was going to try with @Murf'n'surf suggested using this, but it is proving hard to get the little crimped holder spread apart to insert the new wire.

Attachments

• 2015-06-21 22.47.11.jpg
    2015-06-21 22.47.11.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 14
Good ideas though everyone, I may just do the wire ring lug trick that @andy07sx230ho suggested, even if I have to do it again in a couple of seasons that's no big deal.

West Marine carries the small gauge stainless Steel wire. They will cut and crimp it for you. You just have to attach it to the bimini pole. I have drilled out the old rivet and reinstalled aluminum rivets. You could also go stainless steel screws.

Going with that ...... You could drill out the rivot, run the wire through the hole/pipe and crimp an end on like you see on the other end of the wire. That coupler would stop the wire from being pulled through the pipe.

I used 50 pound fishing line as a replacement for the wire on my LX210. It was easy to work with and much nicer to touch.

So here is what I ended up with, I drilled out the rivet and replaced with a bolt. I found this plastic coated chain at Home Depot. We'll see how it holds up in the long term, but even if it does rust or prove to weather poorly now I can easily replace it and try something else. 2015-06-22 11.44.18.jpg

Epic fail on my attempt. The chain arrived today...
AJAX - WIN_20150623_201658.JPG

Keys provided for scale. Waaaaay too big. I guess it could work, but... no.

The retention fastener is only out of the bimini for a short time when putting it up or down, at least in my case. I keep from losing them by wearing them like a ring on my thumb LOL

Back