• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Broken Horn Backup Plan

mgabsa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got stopped by the Tx Game Warden over the 4th, the horn wouldn't work, good thing I had the whistle ($2) back up attached to the kill switch lanyard.

I keep my boat 2 hrs from home. The dealer is slow as crap for any service work. Does anyone know if the dealer will trade out the horn under warranty without me bringing in the boat? They were closed today, I'll find out tomorrow.

I dont like the Yamaha horn, anyone know of a good replacement (that doesn't have to be retrofitted) that has a beefier sound and can hold up to boating conditions.

I suspect the dealership will want to test the horn and or switch before replacing. Yamaha seems to want all repaired parts, however, not all dealerships work alike.

I have a whistle, too. Just in case...... I replaced my horn when it went dead after it was out of warranty. Very easy fix, but still frustrating you have to.

Learn to blow a conch shell and carry one with you at all times. :)
I bought an air horn from West Marine as my backup. Sorry, not aware of any aftermarket horns.

I put small whistles on all of my lanyards incase the horn does not work or the vehicle doesn't have one (e.g. Pwcs, whenever I'm stopped by the law on my pwcs they always ask to see my fire extinguisher and sounding device, registration sometimes as well).

The sound of the horn changes with its shape. The early horns put in the 230 series boats look like snail shells that were mounted on a short arm next to the opening in the hull where as the stock horn in my 242 looks more like a speaker and is mounted directly in the hole in the hull so they sound different with the newer horn putting out a deeper sound than the older horn.

My stock horn still works but if/when it fails I won't hesitate to buy something different from my local pep boys or auto zone. There are a lot of models and prices to choose from, some are stainless steel and it would not take much to make a mount to accommodate installation. Unless it is constantly being splashed by salt water with water getting in the horn (which it shouldn't given its location) it should last for years. I think that the average car horn is just as exposed to the elements as the horns in our boats.

Sucks when you really need the horn and you press the button and you get an anemic croak and it dies....I have a practice of tooting the horn every time I back off the trailer - it's my signal to my wife that it's clear for her to pull the trailer up the ramp.
It also lets me know the horn works.
I also keep a small compressed air horn at the helm. It's nice to have when you have a real jerk in your way you can grab it and blast it directly at them so they know exactly who it's meant for.

I check to see if the horn works periodically also. I don't do it every time out though.

found the picture I was looking for. I have one of those suction cup holder thingys...got it at West Marine. I keep the air horn and whistle right there by the helm:

holder.JPG

Back