• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken Nozzle/Deflector

Joel Caron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone ever had a nozzle deflector break?

Either the previous owner did not use loctite when he installed the Cobra fins, or I hit something in the water while at idle. After an unusual wheel jolt occurred at idle, I found the port nozzle deflector was being held on by the reverse gate and steering linkage. The cobra sway stabilizer is at the bottom of Joe Pool Lake somewhere.

I think I found all the parts I am going to need to replace, but it is just a matter of how fast I can get a hold of them.

I think this is the part number: 65B-51313-10-8S

Attachments

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
OUCH!
I've always wondered if any type of fins would be putting stress anywhere. Could be you hit something spinning sideways too?
With the part number you can just go a searching and order it up right away!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Joel Caron I had mine do the exact same thing. I must not have tighten the lower bolt enough and it fell out and the force of the water coming out broke the top tab off like yours. If you lost the lower bolt, don't forget to order that and the spacer along with the nozzle.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Joel Caron. In looking at the second pic, It appears the lower bolt dropped out rather than you hitting something. I think @cybuch is correct. Anybody have a cheep parts source, possibly salvage?

jaybro72

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yep. mine broke too. I do not use steering fins at all any more

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yep. mine broke too. I do not use steering fins at all any more
It appears, from the pics, the lower bolt dropped out due to no locktite causing the nozzle to separate while under way. Nothing was hit.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oddly there are two different uses for instruction sheets, the first " INTENDED" use is to be sure that a process is done correctly, the second use is to review them to figure out what was done WRONG. I have been guilty of that one a few times myself.

My advice is when you get the detailed instruction sheet for the side force stabilizer that I sent you along with the replacement parts, follow it carefully when installing the parts each part has a purpose .
Also go back over the other nozzle and be sure that one is installed correctly . It stands to reason If someone did one wrong the other is also suspect.
Once the parts are properly installed you should not have any problems and if you have a question as always contact me so I can give you the correct information.

Joel Caron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Cobra Jet Steering LLC for taking the time to make sure I got the hardware installed correctly. Everything is working great now.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Nothing beats first hand customer service! Another satisfied customer! Glad your back in business!