• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken timing chain on a 1.8L yamaha engine. Are these freewheeling or not?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man Ronnie, this has been a rough one for you. Best of luck with each situation. I feel for ya.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just don't get mad at the people who left the notice , if a complaint comes in they have no choice and probably have better things to do with their time after 23 years I can tell you first hand it is not on the list of things to deal with. And in some states it is public record so maybe you can find out who complained unless it was done anonymously and there would still be a phone number on the call record since it records the origin . Then you know who to be nice to and make friends with.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i say this as I look out my home office window at boats in the driveways of my nearby neighbors that have been there for weeks, months, possibly years. Now I don’t know who to trust. Racial/ discriminatory enforcement? Maybe , maybe not but since all my neighbors with boats in their yards seem to be Caucasian and didn’t get notices like I (a non Caucasian) did, it feels like selective enforcement to me. Crappy argument I know, like asking why I am the only one who got a speeding Ticket when everyone around me was going the same speed.

makes me wonder if Karma is real or imagined, probably really imagined.
I'm I reading it correctly that the initial notification is costing you $250. ??? if so, what a way for the gov't to make money,

Why don't you talk to your neighbors and see if any of them received the same notice, maybe it was time for code enforcement to make a run down your street ?? or maybe they get a yearly issue and continue to ignore it ?

If they didn't I would ask them if they ever have received one in the past. Then I would be calling code enforcement to see how they work, normal patrol around the county? only respond to complaints ?

start documenting this and if it is racial profiling you can sue the county and buy the marina !

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing like a kick in the teeth to finish off a bad a$$ week. I’m trying to remain positive, make lemonade when life gives me lemons but what am I supposed to do when life gives me $hit like this Make $hit pies? Anyone in the market for some fresh $hit pies? Hell I will pay for someone to take them and deliver them for free personally and immediately.

i say this as I look out my home office window at boats in the driveways of my nearby neighbors that have been there for weeks, months, possibly years. Now I don’t know who to trust. Racial/ discriminatory enforcement? Maybe , maybe not but since all my neighbors with boats in their yards seem to be Caucasian and didn’t get notices like I (a non Caucasian) did, it feels like selective enforcement to me. Crappy argument I know, like asking why I am the only one who got a speeding Ticket when everyone around me was going the same speed.

makes me wonder if Karma is real or imagined, probably really imagined.
I feel for ya Ronnie but remember, it could be worse. I’ve lost a house to someone driving through it & it burning down and 7yrs later a car drives through my barn. Thankfully it didn’t burn down but I’m like you, just tired of getting sh!t on. Dunno if I pissed off someone upstairs but starting to think I might have.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The document I got is a $0 notice not a ticket. It will result in a ticket and fines if I don’t comply Within 9 calendar days.

I have already spoken to a few of the neighbors I know, some of which have boats and trailers parked in their driveways or on the side of their front yards. One guy owns and operates the local pontoon rental business that employed my son this summer, he has boats infront of his house or on the street all the time, it’s odd not to see a boat or two there. Another neighbor was surprised and said, they are doing that crap again. None have received such a notice in years.

Discovery Bay operates the same way the last city I lived in does. That is, they only send out code enforcement if a nearby neighbor complains.
like Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC stated, they are required to take action on all such complaints so I don’t blame the messenger and it’s probably a good thing I didn’t get a hold of any of them yesterday.

as a non practicing attorney That only moved here three months ago I don’t want to be litigious. When I replaced the cheap ugly plastic mail box that came with the house I replaced my neighbors with the same at no cost to her. I let my other neighbor use my garbage can since he lives alone and doesn’t subscribe to the service. I’m just floored since this is a boating/on the water community so there are plenty of other people who park boats and rvs in front of their homes and or behind fences but still in view of the street.

if I wanted to be D, I’d leave my boat out front for 7 days, back it up behind the fence for seven days and repeat that cycle every week until I move away or die, probably the latter. Additionally I could call on all my nearby neighbors who have boats or rvs parked out front. That is not me, not anymore anyway.

here is pic of what I currently see when I look out my home office window. The red boat in the background has been there for three weeks, whereas mine has been in place 6 days. He didn’t get a notice, I asked. Maybe this is a coincidence but he is white (pc = Caucasian), I’m not. FYI - if asked I tell people I’m dark white just to see their

image.jpg
lately , today, the more I recite the prayer of serenity the more I think it’s what people who gave up / quitters do.

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've lived in my neighborhood for 17 years. People continuously got boats, RVs, trailers, and commercial vehicles in the driveways, backyards, and the street. I had my boat in the driveway for 3 days last Spring and had the HOA ask me if I knew it couldn't be there and how much longer it was going to be there. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the repairs Ronnie.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now I don’t know who to trust. Racial/ discriminatory enforcement? Maybe , maybe not but since all my neighbors with boats in their yards seem to be Caucasian and didn’t get notices like I (a non Caucasian) did, it feels like selective enforcement to me. Crappy argument I know, like asking why I am the only one who got a speeding Ticket when everyone around me was going the same speed.
Discovery Bay operates the same way the last city I lived in does. That is, they only send out code enforcement if a nearby neighbor complains.
like Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC stated, they are required to take action on all such complaints so I don’t blame the messenger and it’s probably a good thing I didn’t get a hold of any of them yesterday.
So at least now we can feel assured this was not Racial / discriminatory enforcement from the county, you've just have a neighbor that doesn't like you for some reason, maybe because your dark white maybe your boat was one to many maybe they're trying to run you out of the neighborhood so they can have a shot at buying your house ??

I'd ask the neighbor who told you "there up to that again" what the situation was previously, he may know the resident reporting people, maybe they gave up /got tired of reporting the other people and you're the new guy so they're going to try to jump on you before you make common practice of parking it there also,

As someone who has gotten multiple letters from the HOA (the most ridiculous that I recall was a warning/advisement not have my hooligan kids play in the field behind my house (which I own) because there could be dangerous snakes there) I can certainly understand your frustration,

even if you had to pay $6k for your engine repair I think the cost/benefit ratio would still fall in your favor with as much use/enjoyment you get from your boat,

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks again for the responses everyone.

update: I gave the marina 30 days notice that I intend to stop renting a slip there and just called the shop I want to work on my boat. Their focus is on pwcs but they work on jet boats as well. They have three boats there now and I’m third on the waiting list and they estimate I should be able to drop the boat off between 4 and 6 weeks. That stated, I will clean the boat out and up over the next 9 days before storing it in my back yard.

I will also call on parts availability later today. I know i need a timing chain and a right windshield so if they have them in stock I will order them. I’mgoing to hold off on the valves until the shop completes its diagnosis and will probably just have them order new valves but I will still check on availability. They are not expensive individually, Intake is $25, exhaust is $50 or vise versa but there are 8 per engine so if I have to buy them all it’s $600 about half the cost of the windshield.

i also spent some time surfing for a used engineand Waverunner with the same engine. Not much luck, small block tech in FL sellers them on a core exchange basis for $3k with a one year warranty and $4k with the two year warranty, they do not have any in stock. Most of the Waverunners I saw are priced at $10k +, there is a seller on eBay offering a “new” engine for $10k that is willing to part it out for less but I don’t know yet if he is willing to sell just the top end.

i will order new upholstery skins soon after the engine repairs are completed.

and so the sage begins and continues. First world problems that amazingly too me I’m still happy to have or at least be in a position to have.

im Tempted to propose that my wife and I take the Waverunners Up and back to old Sacramento tomorrow but based on last Saturday’s attempt to do so on the boat I’m more likely to stay home and/or do something that has nothing to do with the water, boats or tow vehicles. Maybe take My wife to napa in her new car. I’m not a drinker anymore but am thinking about restarting.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

update: I gave the marina 30 days notice that I intend to stop renting a slip there and just called the shop I want to work on my boat. Their focus is on pwcs but they work on jet boats as well. They have three boats there now and I’m third on the waiting list and they estimate I should be able to drop the boat off between 4 and 6 weeks. That stated, I will clean the boat out and up over the next 9 days before storing it in my back yard.

I will also call on parts availability later today. I know i need a timing chain and a right windshield so if they have them in stock I will order them. I’mgoing to hold off on the valves until the shop completes its diagnosis and will probably just have them order new valves but I will still check on availability. They are not expensive individually, Intake is $25, exhaust is $50 or vise versa but there are 8 per engine so if I have to buy them all it’s $600 about half the cost of the windshield.

i also spent some time surfing for a used engineand Waverunner with the same engine. Not much luck, small block tech in FL sellers them on a core exchange basis for $3k with a one year warranty and $4k with the two year warranty, they do not have any in stock. Most of the Waverunners I saw are priced at $10k +, there is a seller on eBay offering a “new” engine for $10k that is willing to part it out for less but I don’t know yet if he is willing to sell just the top end.

and so the sage begins and continues. First world problems that amazingly too me I’m still happy to have or at least be in a position to have.

im Tempted to propose that my wife and I take the Waverunners Up and back to old Sacramento tomorrow but based on last Saturday’s attempt to do so on the boat I’m more likely to stay home and/or do something that has nothing to do with the water, boats or tow vehicles. Maybe take My wife to napa in her new car. I’m not a drinker anymore but am thinking about restarting.
On the bright side, when you are done, it will be like a new boat, and cost way less than a new one. (Which makes me ask, maybe you should replace the timing chain on the other engine?)

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

That engine you saw on eBay, I’m assuming it’s the one pictured on a cart, has been on there well over a year. Seems to be asking top dollar for it. Anyway good luck with your repairs!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Latest update: my next door neighbor sis
Get a notice yesterday he just didn’t see it until this morning since he usually exits and enters his home though the garage not his front door. I feel better knowing it wasn’t just me/targeted ticketing. He and another neighbor said it’s the first notices given out in over two years.

also all the parts are in stock. The rep told me to buy the windshield at my local dealer, the extra cost will be $200 (so $1300) but i won’t have to pay shipping of $400. The windshield and chains are coming from GA and the valves from CA.

I’m going to buy and have installed two new timing chains, might as well since the unbroken one is 12 years old and possibly on its way $50 chain that could cost $200 to install but the alternative is much worse if it breaks.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Latest update: my next door neighbor sis
Get a notice yesterday he just didn’t see it until this morning since he usually exits and enters his home though the garage not his front door. I feel better knowing it wasn’t just me/targeted ticketing. He and another neighbor said it’s the first notices given out in over two years.

also all the parts are in stock. The rep told me to buy the windshield at my local dealer, the cost will be $200 but i won’t have to pay shipping of $400. The windshield and chains are coming from GA and the valves from CA.

I’m going to buy and have installed two new timing chains, might as well since the unbroken one is 12 years old and possibly on its way $50 chain that could cost $200 to install but the alternative is much worse if it breaks.
I've heard about putting the 2016+ timing chain, 2016+ timing chain guides, and 2016+ camshaft gears to upgrade the timing chain to the improved 5-link version. I've read that it's fine to reuse the crankshaft, but you should double check this information. If you're looking to change the chain anyway, then the additional labor of changing the cam gears and chain guides are small.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ronnie, How many hours were on your motor when it let loose?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your next notice will say you need to replace your engine with an electric one. Good luck.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey @Ronnie how did you make out? I lost a chain this Sunday and am going through your same thought process on the repairs. I was around 600 hours on my 2010. Curious what you found when you took it apart and what it took to repair it. Hope all is well.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey @Ronnie how did you make out? I lost a chain this Sunday and am going through your same thought process on the repairs. I was around 600 hours on my 2010. Curious what you found when you took it apart and what it took to repair it. Hope all is well.
My mechanic found the timing chain broke. I took it to a pwc shop afterwards and they gave me a quote for about $2,500 of which parts only made up around $600 ($200 or so for the chain, guides and gaskets, $400 in bent valves). Their hourly $170.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My mechanic found the timing chain broke. I took it to a pwc shop afterwards and they gave me a quote for about $2,500 of which parts only made up around $600 ($200 or so for the chain, guides and gaskets, $400 in bent valves). Their hourly $170.
That's not bad at all for a rebuild.