• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buick envison

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Thinking on leasing a Buick Envision 2022 if anyone has one what do you think about it.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Chinese made piece of crap. You couldn't pay me to drive one. Get a Blazer or Explorer instead.

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Chinese made piece of crap. You couldn't pay me to drive one. Get a Blazer or Explorer instead.
Thanks for your opinion, good luck with your new 2022 Blazer or Explorer

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will have the same QC/QA as any other GM product. Assembly location is no different than something that's made in Mexico, Canada, or Europe.

Bigger issue is the 1,500lbs tow rating. It'll tow a jetski, or small golf cart on an open trailer, or a lawnmower on a trailer, or something like that. It won't handle any boat made by Yamaha.

In terms of just daily driving.....well that's up to you. I'm sure it will move people from point a-to-b just fine. I can't imagine that leasing a Buick is a good idea in general. They have relatively low residual values, so you pay for more usage than you would on another brand/vehicle. Something like a Highlander, or similar high residual value vehicle might save you some cash and provide the same functionality. With that said, my grandfather leases a new Buick sedan every 3 years, and loves the setup.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It will have the same QC/QA as any other GM product. Assembly location is no different than something that's made in Mexico, Canada, or Europe.
Gonna have to disagree here. This is one of the first Chinese assembled vehicles in the US, they're used to building cars for other markets that are less picky than the US, not near luxury vehicles for picky ass Americans, lol. Not to say they can't do it, more to say, GM won't pay for them to do the job well. Online feedback on these

Your comments about residuals and towing are spot on. The envision has worse residual and resale than other buicks due to its Chinese build as well.

If you don't need towing capacity, edge, Blazer, xt4 or 5 or whatever thebsrx is now, nautilus, corsair... All great choices. Much better choices than envision.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I find this statement so funny. As the Envision, Blazer, and Cadillac XT4 are all built on the same platform. The biggest differences are trim levels and engine options. Not defending it, or badmouthing it. But saying that a Chevy model of the same platform as a Buck model has a better build quality is entertaining at best.

2021 Buick Envision vs. 2021 Chevrolet Blazer Comparison - Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I find this statement so funny. As the Envision, Blazer, and Cadillac XT4 are all built on the same platform. The biggest differences are trim levels and engine options. Not defending it, or badmouthing it. But saying that a Chevy model of the same platform as a Buck model has a better build quality is entertaining at best.

2021 Buick Envision vs. 2021 Chevrolet Blazer Comparison - Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)
It's been my experience in manufacturing that the further away you build and assemble from your bosses, the worse your quality gets. And when you move production of something to China, it's for cost savings, so you're not going to pay for all the same controls, inspections, etc that you would in the US, NAFTA, Germany, Japan, Korea, etc.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's been my experience in manufacturing that the further away you build and assemble from your bosses, the worse your quality gets. And when you move production of something to China, it's for cost savings, so you're not going to pay for all the same controls, inspections, etc that you would in the US, NAFTA, Germany, Japan, Korea, etc.
It's a fair point. I can only imagine the components are sourced from similar places. Looks like only the Cadillac is still assembled in the US, the Kansas plant. Fairly large price hike for that version of this platform though. This is relevant, as I was looking to replace my wife's Ford Escape in the near future. She likes these compact SUV's for commuting and still having AWD.

I honestly don't put a ton of weight on where it's assembled but more on the dealership backing it up once we take delivery. If anything, we may buy a GMC of this size like the Terrain instead or bump up to an Acadia size.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a fair point. I can only imagine the components are sourced from similar places. Looks like only the Cadillac is still assembled in the US, the Kansas plant. Fairly large price hike for that version of this platform though. This is relevant, as I was looking to replace my wife's Ford Escape in the near future. She likes these compact SUV's for commuting and still having AWD.

I honestly don't put a ton of weight on where it's assembled but more on the dealership backing it up once we take delivery. If anything, we may buy a GMC of this size like the Terrain instead or bump up to an Acadia size.
We drove an explorer with the 2.3t, we liked it a lot. 27 mpg highway too. It's roughly Acadia sized, but better on gas. Tows more too, Acadia is on the short wheelbase of that platform, so it only tows like 4000 or something.

We have multiple dealers for most makes close by, so the dealer is a bit of a lesser issue.

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Well after reading a lot of the replies, I have been leasing for a very long time. Every 3 years I switch to different models.
I've had Lincolns ,cadillac , Chevy , Audi , etc, now I'm driving a 2020 Subara outback Touring XT. I'm not using it for towing
considering the Buick Envision or the Lincoln Corsair .. Your grandfather has good taste , I also am a grandfather [flag]
Thanks to all have a great summer:)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after reading a lot of the replies, I have been leasing for a very long time. Every 3 years I switch to different models.
I've had Lincolns ,cadillac , Chevy , Audi , etc, now I'm driving a 2020 Subara outback Touring XT. I'm not using it for towing
considering the Buick Envision or the Lincoln Corsair .. Your grandfather has good taste , I also am a grandfather [flag]
Thanks to all have a great summer:)
Sounds as if you like leasing.

I'm on the cusp of leasing myself. I don't have the time/energy to mess with modifications and maintenance like I used to, and I'm at a point in my life where the extra cost is now worth it. I also tend to swap cars every 2-3 years anyway for various reasons. I also seem to get "burnt" on poorly maintained used vehicles, and I'm about over it. 4/6 of my last used vehicles have had something hidden that puts a big dent in my comfort level with the vehicle. I'm pretty much over that stress and PIA, and am ready to buy new where I get to put my own screwups on it, not deal with someone elses.

Big concern for me when leasing is the mileage I drive on a regular basis. I'm in the 18k+ a year category over the last 10yrs. My thought is that I either constantly kick the bucket and roll it into the next lease, or I just buy the miles up front knowing my usage. I could probably reduce usage a bit if we drove the wifes car more, but it's hard to bank on that lifestyle change.

Any words of wisdom from a veteran of the process? Any pitfalls to look out for? Any tips or tricks to pass along?

If leasing isn't for me, then I'm really close to trying to find a "10yr vehicle". Something that is brand new, I can put my own dents and mistakes in, something I know the history on, and something I'll actually like that long. Then buy on a long term, pay off a bit early, and drive a few years without a payment to make the depreciation hit less obscene.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We drove an explorer with the 2.3t, we liked it a lot. 27 mpg highway too. It's roughly Acadia sized, but better on gas. Tows more too, Acadia is on the short wheelbase of that platform, so it only tows like 4000 or something.

We have multiple dealers for most makes close by, so the dealer is a bit of a lesser issue.
Anyone considering these vehicles are looking for commuter vehicles, not towing a yamaha for sure. As the op state, they are not towing with it. That being said, towing a pair of sleds, skis or utility trailer is a non issue for this size vehicle. It's just not for towing any Yamaha boat as you state.

My wife has towed like twice. A pair of waverunners, and my Exmark on a utility trailer. We have a truck for a reason.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Anyone considering these vehicles are looking for commuter vehicles, not towing a yamaha for sure. As the op state, they are not towing with it. That being said, towing a pair of sleds, skis or utility trailer is a non issue for this size vehicle. It's just not for towing any Yamaha boat as you state.

My wife has towed like twice. A pair of waverunners, and my Exmark on a utility trailer. We have a truck for a reason.
We have a 2020 Terrain that we sometimes put a jet ski behind and have no problem with. Anything else gets pulled by the Yukon or Sierra 2500 HD. That being said, the Terrain gets great fuel mileage and is much easier to park than the 2500 HD diesel crew cab Denali.

The right tools always make the job easier.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The right tools always make the job easier.
I have a hard time trying to buy ONE things to do ALL the tasks. Couple that in with champagne taste on a beer budget and I've been a "car hopper" for years. I keep finding the shiny new thing and think I have it all figured out, then WHAM I forgot about something, or life circumstances change or whatever.

Closest I've had so far was my '15 Sierra 1500. That thing did MOST of the tasks with aplomb, and was relatively easy to live with as a daily.

Was batting around the idea the other day of selling the Q7 and buying an older 1500 pickup that was gently used, and getting a daily driver car of some flavor. I have a hard time justifying a fleet expansion of older vehicles with an already tight time table for kids, career, and college. Sure does sound nice to have two vehicles with no payment, and the right tool for the job in both instances.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a hard time trying to buy ONE things to do ALL the tasks. Couple that in with champagne taste on a beer budget and I've been a "car hopper" for years. I keep finding the shiny new thing and think I have it all figured out, then WHAM I forgot about something, or life circumstances change or whatever.

Closest I've had so far was my '15 Sierra 1500. That thing did MOST of the tasks with aplomb, and was relatively easy to live with as a daily.

Was batting around the idea the other day of selling the Q7 and buying an older 1500 pickup that was gently used, and getting a daily driver car of some flavor. I have a hard time justifying a fleet expansion of older vehicles with an already tight time table for kids, career, and college. Sure does sound nice to have two vehicles with no payment, and the right tool for the job in both instances.
If you find that “jack of all trades” tool/vehicle, please share it with me. There are two drivers in this house (not counting the kids who seem to move in and out every couple of years) and we have five vehicles that require a road plate. I would consider giving up some appendage (or one of the kids but not grandkids) to find something that would perform the services that the BMW Z4 and the GMC diesel 2500 HD do equally well. 😀

But I find myself mostly in your position… and I may have a hoarder gene. Once something is paid for I have a hard time letting go.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For me, my tbss is pretty much a do everything. I don't drive 30k miles a year like 2kwik does though, lol. But my tbss hauls my boat, hauls my family, is fun to drive, and it's paid for so the sub 20 mpg on premium isn't that big a deal. The only thing it doesn't do is have a bed, but frankly if I had a nice truck I wouldn't use my bed for what it's useful for, and could replace it with a small utility trailer. A 5x8 trailer will do more truck stuff than an actual pickup.

I will say, the new pathfinder and explorer are damn close to a true everything vehicle because they get decent mpg too. 24 for a 400hp explorer st (on regular) or 27 mpg for a 290hp pathfinder, can still tow a boat, seat 6 or 7, plenty of space... Unless you have really big toys, that'll tow most everything, maybe without a ton of headroom, but it'll do it.

For me, the Hellcat Durango is my do everything vehicle, just gotta find the cash for it, lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If my TBSS wasn't such a basket case of problems from the previous owner I would have kept it more than 18mo. I didn't have much cash in it and it did most things well. It was definitely a looker, and passed everything except a gas station. Outran a Mustang down an onramp once with a hitch carrier that had 10 bags of mulch on it. Gotta be embarrassed for that guy!

My Q7 is very similar, and the 3rd row helps with the people hauling. Its got some issues from the previous owner as well (broken seat is aggravating a herniated disc in my neck currently), and has my confidence somewhat shaken from other issues. If I can get some maintenance done this spring, and get the seat addressed I might keep it another few years. I can squeak 23-24mpg out of it if I keep it in D instead of S and keep it under 70 on the commute in. Cruise set at 80 to Cincy and back a few weeks ago and it returned 22mpg with the whole fam damily loaded. Couple sprints to triple digits to get around slow/unruly traffic mixed in there as well.

Also......looking hard at modding the wife's Rogue a bit to make it more palatable for me to drive and using it for around town trips to keep some miles off my car! Wheels, tint, and debadging would go a long way. Pretty OK with the stock interior and seats and such. She's averaging 28mpg in that thing, on 87 fuel at that. It's much less expensive to drive for certain.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If my TBSS wasn't such a basket case of problems from the previous owner I would have kept it more than 18mo. I didn't have much cash in it and it did most things well. It was definitely a looker, and passed everything except a gas station. Outran a Mustang down an onramp once with a hitch carrier that had 10 bags of mulch on it. Gotta be embarrassed for that guy!

My Q7 is very similar, and the 3rd row helps with the people hauling. Its got some issues from the previous owner as well (broken seat is aggravating a herniated disc in my neck currently), and has my confidence somewhat shaken from other issues. If I can get some maintenance done this spring, and get the seat addressed I might keep it another few years. I can squeak 23-24mpg out of it if I keep it in D instead of S and keep it under 70 on the commute in. Cruise set at 80 to Cincy and back a few weeks ago and it returned 22mpg with the whole fam damily loaded. Couple sprints to triple digits to get around slow/unruly traffic mixed in there as well.

Also......looking hard at modding the wife's Rogue a bit to make it more palatable for me to drive and using it for around town trips to keep some miles off my car! Wheels, tint, and debadging would go a long way. Pretty OK with the stock interior and seats and such. She's averaging 28mpg in that thing, on 87 fuel at that. It's much less expensive to drive for certain.
I don't have many complaints about our rogue. It was comfortable, spacious for passengers, good on gas, and overall inoffensive. I didn't trust the cvt long term, and at 76k it was starting to whine which is a not good sign for a cvt. We just outgrew it honestly, if we lived near family that could watch our dogs, we could have likely kept it.

My TBSS hasn't been flawless, it's had some brake issues, and I redid most of the suspension already, still gotta do lower control arms on it. It's overall easy to work on and parts aren't that expensive. If I wanted to go nuts on it, I could make it outdo a trackhawk in most ways for less than a trackhawk... But doubt I will go that way.

Looking down the road, a trackhawk, Hellcat Durango, or sq7 are appealing options. If this Tahoe SS happens I could be in for that too. I'm planning to run the tbss 4 more years and get my halo suv before 40. Mercedes amg models are an option too, but honestly I feel like a lot of the SUVs I want won't be around with low miles as much in the future due to car shortages. Honestly, 4 years is a long way away, so who knows what will be out by then. 4 years ago I think the trackhawk was just coming out? The Germans sort of scare me, both from a "too fancy" perspective, and that legendary German wallet draining ability. Maybe Ford will stun me with an Explorer RS or something cool, or Jeep will make a GC WL Trackhawk that blows me away with 1000hp helephant motor. Probably not, but a guy can dream.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Personally, I wouldn't buy/lease a Chinese made car/truck, quite honestly, because it's made in China.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally, I wouldn't buy/lease a Chinese made car/truck, quite honestly, because it's made in China.

Jim
No judgement, just curiosity.

Why? Political concerns? Quality concerns? Don't have to explain in detail (or at all if you don't want to), just trying to broaden my perspective a bit.