• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bumper sucked up in jet drive!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
have you ever had your impeller/shaft out before ??

No doubt that bumper is causing resistance but I wonder if you've never removed it before if it's not just "vacuum" sealed, we just had another member a few days ago who had to tie the pump off to the truck to get it out, maybe if you can get a ratchet strap on it to apply some constant pressure and tap it with a hammer ???

also wonder if it was the bumper, I wonder if you could stick a butane torch up there to melt it at the impeller to help remove it ????

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Stalt There are pry points on the impeller housing to help with the removal if you aren't aware. A small jimmy bar can be useful in helping to work the housing off. I was lucky when I pulled mine, I was able to get it off by hand. I have seen others bind a ratchet/come along hook to the housing and use that as leverage to break the housing free as well.

Slightly different housing as it is on a SVHO Jet, but same principle. See the 1:30 mark or so.

Stalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

No doubt that bumper is causing resistance but I wonder if you've never removed it before if it's not just "vacuum" sealed, we just had another member a few days ago who had to tie the pump off to the truck to get it out, maybe if you can get a ratchet strap on it to apply some constant pressure and tap it with a hammer ???

also wonder if it was the bumper, I wonder if you could stick a butane torch up there to melt it at the impeller to help remove it ????

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went back to the pictures, particularly the one from below (and, I agree, that is a damn fine job of sucking something up...). I don't think that pulling the pump is going to go easily (if at all) unless you get more of that fender out of there.

I would pull the grate on the bottom and start hacking on that puppy. I think you are going to need to be able to fold that all up and forward (toward the engine) with your hand fairly easily--and enough that it is as narrow as the path out along the shaft. I don't think you are there yet. I think even if you are able to break the pump free you will get it about 4" before it gets caught on the fender.

I would go at it from the bottom.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It took me several hours of cutting away to just get to the point where I could pull the pump.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ouch...that's sucked up good...real good. I'd say to try cutting away at it...it'll be a while of cussing and cutting, but eventually it'll come out of there. You might also see if there's any air bubbles in that fender and if you can pop the, with an exact that may help.

Stalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought I was riding a dead horse. We’ll see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully we’ll be in before sunset.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know that I would go for @Scottintexas 's fire option (too many downsides if you hit the gelcoat or get it too hot...), but I would pull the grate and go after it with a vibe tool and narrow blade...

Do update us!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh man, I'd have to suck up the Goodyear blimp to top this one.

Stalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Stalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After 5 hours I finally got the bumper out. I had to cut everything through the gate. One screw was striped from the factory couldn’t remove it. It’s been awhile since I had a cocktail before 10:00 am.🍺🍺🍺

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking on the bright side, you now have the opportunity to replace the stripped screw... ?

Congratulations. That was a tough one. I think you are entitled to that cocktail.

Stalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking on the bright side, you now have the opportunity to replace the stripped screw... ?

Congratulations. That was a tough one. I think you are entitled to that cocktail.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Glad to see you back out on the water.