• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Burning off fogging oil?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My question is this, if you run the engine for a minute or two after you fog, is there enough left to protect the engine?
I winterized today and would like some opinions.

Last year I fogged without running on the hose, and did not start the engines until spring. This year I hooked up the YDS and verified some numbers that @buckbuck recorded a while ago. I started out on the hose and ran the engine in no wake mode, about 2500rpm and checked the temperature. It was at 127F. I turned off the water and after 1 minute the temperature had risen to 167F. I turned the engine off at that point and the temperature proceeded to climb to 184F before leveling off after another 30 seconds. The YDS software says the temperature needs to stay under 260F.

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jetboater4life That's a good question, certainly you wouldn't want to run it too long, in our case it's a two man job-- one guy stands with a funnel, hose, and antifreeze to run thru the cooling, and the other with the fogging oil (we found a new SeaFoam brand fogging oil, and as a lifelong user of SeaFoam, we were really excited to find that!). Just before the fogging is "done" i stop the antifreeze and run to turn off the engine. That way the engine only runs for a few seconds after the fogging is "done". Sorry that probably wasn't helpful, but I'm eager to hear what everyone says!

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This may be a little off topic, but this will be my first time winterizing our Yamaha and I am not sure exactly where to spray the fogging oil. On our old boat (Donzi), I sprayed the fogging oil into the carbs until the engine shut off. So where exactly do I spray the fogging oil for the Yamaha. Pics would be a bonus. Thanks in advance.

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We sprayed based off jetboatpilot's video, and took off the air filter connection tube thing and sprayed into that metallic colored thingy..

Hope this helps!

**NOTE: the arrow pointing to the tube is pointing to the big tube coming off the air filter, not whatever that tube is that is coming in from the right.

Fogging Location.jpeg

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just fogged mine on Sat. and thought the same thing, how long can/should you run the engine after fogging oil has been applied... My process has been running on the hose spraying in for a couple mins while revving the engine a bit (like 2-3k rpm). Then after it's good and smoky I just stop spraying oil, kill the water, rev the engine for just a bit to blow any excess water out then shut the engine down for the long nap.

@spaz1868 : on the 210 you can spray it directly into the air intake, but in order to make this easier, I loosen the rubber hose from the top/front of the engine that is attached to the air box. The starboard side is easy to get off, the port is a little harder because the hose is shorter and not as pliable, so I always have to pry it off (gently) with a large flat screwdriver. If you want a pic I can grab one tonight for you.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So run engine with water to warm up the motors then change oil and filter. Then if u have two Ppl fog and antifreeze at same time. If you only have one person then fog first and antifreeze second ?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Personally I don't run anti-freeze thru, I just hit the ports inside the boat with a bit of compressed air to blow out whatever small amount of water is left in there after running it on the hose. It hit -20 to -30 for quite awhile last winter up here and I didn't have any problems with water freezing and causing problems.

@jetboater4life getting back to your original question... I would say as long as the engine doesn't get too hot (and overheat) and you don't run for long after applying the oil you should be fine. If you really wanted to make sure, you could do all of what you described above, then pull the spark plugs and spay a little thru the plug holes to make sure there is some oil on top of the heads. Might be overkill? But really wouldn't take too long to do either.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@JetBoatPilot do you "not" antifreeze the motors because the warm weather there down in florida, or do you simply think that the blowing out the motor procedure will be sufficient ??

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Personally I don't run anti-freeze thru, I just hit the ports inside the boat with a bit of compressed air to blow out whatever small amount of water is left in there after running it on the hose. It hit -20 to -30 for quite awhile last winter up here and I didn't have any problems with water freezing and causing problems.

@jetboater4life getting back to your original question... I would say as long as the engine doesn't get too hot (and overheat) and you don't run for long after applying the oil you should be fine. If you really wanted to make sure, you could do all of what you described above, then pull the spark plugs and spay a little thru the plug holes to make sure there is some oil on top of the heads. Might be overkill? But really wouldn't take too long to do either.
"Ports inside the boat" ???? Also its a decent idea to remove the spark plugs and spray some fogging oil inside simply as a added preventative measure??

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I know some guys have to use the anti-freeze just from a grandfather worshiping standpoint. But leaving any moisture in these engines over the winter is asking for trouble. Blow them out per Yamaha, or moisture is going to cause some issues internally. If the reason you use the antifreeze is to fill the water lock, so be it, but it isn't necessary there either, as it is a ss cylinder with convex ends, thereby allowing any freezing of water in space to expand harmlessly. Your choice, but it isn't necessary.

The old way of running the fogging oil through the engines is also not the way Yamaha recommends. So burning off should be a thing of the past if you fog as recommended. And yes, plenty of oil is coating the engine internals without killing the engine to do so. You simply must blow the water out of the engine after running on the hose. Here is a tech bulletin that came out a couple of years ago with instructions on the best way to fog.
Yamaha Fogging Procedure-1.jpg Yamaha Fogging Procedure-2.jpg Yamaha Fogging Procedure-3 (Medium).jpg

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
"Ports inside the boat" ????
The hose connection 'ports' is what I was referring to (not sure what the official name of them?). I found that there is usually a small bit of water in there after running on the hose.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@txav8r I didn't see instructions for the older Mr1 in that bulletin. Last year I fogged without water after everything else was done. This year I did fogging while on the hose and in no wake mode. I let the intakes suck in a lot of fogging oil for several minutes. Then I gravity fed a gallon of antifreeze through each exhaust system which took a minute or two. I had my water intake clamped off before the Y fitting to ensure the antifreeze went through the system. I need to get a helper so I can do both at the same time.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r I didn't see instructions for the older Mr1 in that bulletin. Last year I fogged without water after everything else was done. This year I did fogging while on the hose and in no wake mode. I let the intakes suck in a lot of fogging oil for several minutes. Then I gravity fed a gallon of antifreeze through each exhaust system which took a minute or two. I had my water intake clamped off before the Y fitting to ensure the antifreeze went through the system. I need to get a helper so I can do both at the same time.
The bulletin references three engines. The MR1 is the 1052 cc engine referenced.

MR1 fogging bulleting reference.JPG

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So run engine with water to warm up the motors then change oil and filter. Then if u have two Ppl fog and antifreeze at same time. If you only have one person then fog first and antifreeze second ?
Yea I think that is the way I will do it from now on. If you run for more than a minute without the hose then the engine starts to heat up fast. Last year I did a minute of fogging without the hose and no problems. The tech bulletin says we should do more than that so I did the fogging while hooked up to the water and in no wake mode to get the RPM's up a bit. I might do just a half gallon of anti-freeze per engine next year to cut down on the time I run after fogging. I'm not sure my 8 year old son would have been able to help me and I'm certain the wife would want no part in doing such an activity so I need to recruit a neighbor/friend. I use the gravity method with a long and skinny funnel that fits snugly into the end of a 5 foot section of hose. It's important to have the water intake pinched off otherwise a good amount of the anti-freeze will go out the intake and not through the exhaust system. wheretopinchcoolinghose_forflushing.jpg

Last edited:

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jetboater4life is it a problem if i didn't pinch that off when I did the antifreeze flush?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@jetboater4life is it a problem if i didn't pinch that off when I did the antifreeze flush?
This is my opinion on it, but I believe a good amount of the antifreeze will simply drain out the water intake in the impeller pump housing. I didn't pinch it off last year and had no problems this spring, but this year I wanted to make sure I wasn't just dumping antifreeze on the ground. Any time I run on the hose I pinch off that part of the hose to prevent water draining out that way.

What is the mechanism for pushing water through the exhaust system on our boats? Is it from the impeller pushing it through the system or is there suction from the exhaust system?

Last edited:

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jetboater4life Sounds good, we did rev the engines to blow the water out before that so I think everything should be fine.

With regard to the last part, I have no clue..

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot do you "not" antifreeze the motors because the warm weather there down in florida, or do you simply think that the blowing out the motor procedure will be sufficient ??
As Mel says, anti-freeze is unnecessary in our boats because they have a self-draining system.

I have weathered 3 winters with my boat stored in an un-heated storage unit and never used anti-freeze. Temps dropped below -40 F for 2 weeks last winter (and it was cold as a b!@%h for MONTHS). No issues.

Obviously everyone has their "thing," and we're all going to do what makes us feel right, but as long as you've blown the water out of the engines you don't have anything to worry about.

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is my opinion on it, but I believe a good amount of the antifreeze will simply drain out the water intake in the impeller pump housing. I didn't pinch it off last year and had no problems this spring, but this year I wanted to make sure I wasn't just dumping antifreeze on the ground. Any time I run on the hose I pinch off that part of the hose to prevent water draining out that way.

What is the mechanism for pushing water through the exhaust system on our boats? Is it from the impeller pushing it through the system or is there suction from the exhaust system?
The cooling water source for the exhaust is the same as the engine. It comes from the impeller forcing water through the pickup and gets diverted through the engine and exhaust. Also, I wouldn't always pinch the pickup off the pickup line when flushing because then you're not flushing the pickup screen.